Is this a dying hobby in NZ or is it just this board?

Discuss anything you like in here, as long as it doesn't belong in the other forums and is appropriate.

Moderator: Moderators

Heroic Autobot

Is this a dying hobby in NZ or is it just this board?

Postby NZHC » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:00 pm

When I first started collecting last year it seemed like there were new posts here every day whist last week I saw maybe one new post. In retail shops I go to wave 1 Titans return still hang like they have for about a year now. On trademe whole weeks go by without anything new being posted or brought. The movie that came out last month is being called a box office failure even in China.

Is this just a natural ebb and flow or are we on the decrease?

Thoughts?

TFNZ News Crew

Re: Is this a dying hobby in NZ or is it just this board?

Postby omegaprime » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Kinda.

We have had 10 years solid of transformers been on the shelves.

While this has been alot of fun for us, the line has fatigued, it needs a break from the shelves like teenage mutant ninja turtles had done.

As a side effect sales get affected, which effects what we get, im also picking a few of us maybe suffering from fatigue, as for things it will pick up when power of the primes comes out next year, hasbro has done a poor job getting TR out, which effects posts here e.g no leader soundwave, sixshot, voyager megatron, optimusprime, sentenialprime, not much sign of broadside, we have had the same deluxes for 4 odd months.

Each time something good comes out we all seem to get it and the boards spring to life, well thats how i see it

Decepticon Warlord

Postby NKF » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:22 pm

All sorts of factors really. Hasbro's poor promotion. Their ridiculous case assortments with duplicates. Shops not being keen on stocking a lot of waves apart from perhaps the first two - and get lumbered with said duplicate assortments. Transformer toys, once dominating entire shop aisles, tend to just be shoved on any free space next to other more popular series like Star Wars, Lego or action figures for which ever current superhero movie flick is out.

The Bay movies did a lot for fostering interest at the start, but I feel they've stuck to the same formula for so long that while they're still good popcorn sellers, the interest in the merchandising has declined somewhat.

For the boards, apart from folks just moving on or retiring from toy collecting, I actually feel web forums in general are declining due to the rapid growth of all sorts of different social media platforms. It's a phenomena that seems to be to all the other forums I frequent. They aren't the village squares that they used to be. The people are there, just spread out all over the place in small pockets or private social bubbles.

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Supreme Commander

Postby skydemolisher » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:10 pm

I think the lack of new stock and prices increasing has sort of priced some people out or nothing they want. We haven't really had a good show to watch for a bit on public TV I think. I watched Prime and RID on Netflix but they aren't complete sets.

As for the boards, I think it may be a case of some people shifting off from it and others having more responsibilities with family, etc or needing to work more since the cost of everything went up.
(D) For the Glory of the Decepticon Empire!!!!!!! (D)

Gestalt

Postby kevman12 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:56 pm

If a person's hobby is just for a short time, then I wouldn't call that person's interest a hobby. A hobby is typically something done on a regular basis. However a hobby could also be seasonal. Nothing last forever, you can play with a toy, park it and then after a number of years its cool again! (Nostalgia!)

Most of guys in here have been here for years - 10 years+ (their dedicated men)! - I personally have not been in this hobby for that long but for me I like transformers since I was like 5. I didn't get to play or own the G1 characters that I would like.

To me I would say, "MY HOBBY" has evolved. I certainly like G1, I like Beastwars, Armada, Cybertron, Prime and then there was the movie etc... But honestly, like what the other guys said, TF's just went on overdrive. There was so many good TF's during the last number of years that it was like, were do I put my money. Then there is the 3rd party TF's, hence I do agree that the TF's are fatigued.

I wouldn't say that this is a dying hobby, its just seasonal. I like what Skydemolisher said we are kids to some extent (we buy toys), but we are also somewhat I hope - Adults. We have responsibilities family etc. Sometime I think, Thank God that we have good partners, wives who support our hobbies.

E.g. Some of us here are in our 40's. Maybe a bulk are in there 30's and I would like to say that were grown men and we still play with plastic toys. Let that sink in for a while.... Then we take of our clothes and reveal our manliness to our partners? - I wonder if they think of us as the man they thought they wanted :lol: :lol: :lol:

TFNZ Moderator

Postby Subria » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:38 am

G1 and MP is my main focus these days, and even that barely given costs involved. Imports are not something I can do much of where I am either as I'm not in NZ

This Moderator is no longer resident.

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:29 pm

As you can see there is a boom in activatey, thanks to a whole heap of stuff coming out, it's nice while it lasts that's for sure

Headmaster City

Postby Spike » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:06 am

Saturation is one thing. Shelf warming another. Uncertainty about whether we will even get the figures we want too. Movie stuff holds little interest, and CW and TR sorta dragged on.

The worst is we don’t get those figures the rest of the world does. The ones we really really want. Sixshot, ultra magnus, the clones, the siege on cubertron and other set, storm shadow, soundwave etc

We stop looking and the. We stop talking because we have nothing to discuss. Mainline wise.

Masterpiece is all good but even that is getting a bit repaint heavy I think. The latest announcements (since no 30) have included repainta as target master hotrod, gold Megatron, toy accurate optimus primal, delta magnus, artfire I think. That’s at least four of the last ten that hold specific interest and people aren’t all clamoring to get.
Spike's want list
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12376

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:46 am

I think we have sunstreaker next in the MP line that is not a repaint with a add on, im looking forward to sunstreaker followed by presumably dinobot, he has been teased.

i really dont get why we got stuck on wave 1 leaders, im going though my emails and they did say we where supposed to get overlord, but that date has well and turely gone, well we at least get to look forward to power of the primes next year

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:49 pm

Does anyone use WhatsApp? Could create a group on there for TFNZ. Might be a bit mote active.

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:20 pm

I use line for transformers earth wars, ultimately could just make a large facebook chat, I do mute all group convos myself and scroll though posts missed

Headmaster City

Postby loismustdye » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:04 am

For me it’s sporadic at best. I still buy, but simply don’t post a lot due to time constraints, wanting to spend more time with the kids and I’ve got a shit tonne of jobs around the house I need done, some gaming time and visits to the gym don’t leave a heap of time to post. It’s not to say I don’t visit, it’s just that I don’t post a h3ck of a lot.
Myself I’ve reverted to being more of a lurker.
no sig as photobucket nerfed it all
# of TF's: I don't have the patience to count them all
# of GIJoe: I've lost count

Pretender

Postby MAULER666 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:47 pm

I tend to agree with loismustdie, I'm more of a lurker now too. Started collecting other lines and being much more active physically and involved with my kids at jiujitsu. Still happy this place is still going thanks to the mainstayers so cheers to all of you.
My list of gimmees:
G1 Vortex
G2 Snarl
G1 Fireflight

TFNZ Moderator

Postby Subria » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:36 pm

If we're being brutally honest, message boards/forums are so very 2000s... Nearly 20 years later most of the discussion base has moved off to that face thing and messaging apps.

I've never been a heavy poster, but I'm always around. Space constraints, budget and well life in general prevent me from being that much more active.

This Moderator is no longer resident.

Return to General Discussion