The Base-Mode-Everything Contest

Discuss anything you like in here, as long as it doesn't belong in the other forums and is appropriate.

Moderator: Moderators

Decepticon Warlord

The Base-Mode-Everything Contest

Postby NKF » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:44 pm

Welcome to the Base-Mode-Everything contest. A light hearted activity that doesn't require any deep technical knowledge, just a bit of imagination and some means of taking a photo. Also a good excuse to play with your toys. ;)

The contest will start on 12/12/2016. Late applicants still welcome, however keep in mind that anyone joining after the first round may fall too far behind to catch up.

Rules
The objective of the game is to take a Transformer from any era that does not have an official base mode, make a base mode out of it and submit a photo of it along with a short explanatory paragraph to sell the idea.

'Base mode' can be interpreted broadly. It doesn't have to just mean a city or battle station. It can included things that you may find attached to or is part of a base such as an observation tower, toll booth, gun placement, repair bench, etc. Think of Soundwave's street lamp mode from the G1 episode More than Meets the Eye (part 1).

• All equipment that come with the TF action figure is allowed with the exception of any large base-like accessories such as G1 Optimus Prime's trailer repair bay.
  • You won't get marked on these but feel free to use absolutely anything as a prop if it helps illustrate your idea better. Other action figures, books, the family pet, drink bottles, stationery, etc.
  • TFs with base modes (Scramble City leaders, Metroplex, etc) can not be used as an entry, but can be treated as a background prop for your entry to be a part of.

The Contest
The contest will run about two or three rounds. Each round runs between Monday and Friday. Judging will be done over the weekend.

The first round will require the use of one TF action figure. Round two will require two to work together. The third round, if we need one, has not been decided at this stage, so any suggestions to spice it up will be welcome.

During each round, contestants will submit one photo entry. If you are not satisfied with your entry, you can change your entry at any time until Friday. By Friday all entries will be considered final.

For the judging, my idea was to have the judges rank the entries from 1 to how ever many entries there are, and then average the scores. By the end of all rounds, the one with the highest score wins.

Prize
The winner will get all three kits needed to create a complete Kabaya Fortress Maximus (Metallic Edition). Imagine G1 Fortress Maximus scaled down to something approaching the size of a present day Voyager class action figure. In spite of its size, it's packed with a fair number of gimmicks such as a working launcher and ramps for the two included minibots, and even has an intermediate base mode where you can turn his limbs and torso into three separate stations.

For those interested in what it looks like once assembled, here is my own Kabaya Fort Max in base mode from the August hauls (Titan Master Clobber for scale comparison).

Keep in mind that this is a plastic model kit that will require assembly, so will require a pair of model kit nippers and a bit of free time to assemble. Don't let that put you off if you're interested but are not used to kits you build yourself. I am more than happy to help get you started.

Anyhow, carry on.
Last edited by NKF on Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crura Fish!

Decepticon Warlord

Re: The Base-Mode-Everything Contest

Postby NKF » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:45 pm

Ah - I posted that rather than hitting preview post. Anyway, it's out now. :D

Incidentally, I am still in need of a couple of volunteers to help act as judges to help keep the judging impartial.

- NKF
Crura Fish!

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:53 pm

Primal station the last line of defense for the ark as it lays in slumber, the war has been hard not being able to leave the planet primal had to convert himself into a base maned by a few humans that he has taught, the war for the future is almost over, will primal remains hold up or will the one who feels betrayed have his revenge.

TFNZ Princess

Postby Mr_Ash » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:55 pm

NKF wrote:Ah - I posted that rather than hitting preview post. Anyway, it's out now. :D

Incidentally, I am still in need of a couple of volunteers to help act as judges to help keep the judging impartial.

- NKF

I like to judge people - count me in :D
"..you get more classy every time."
"..you are a gentleman and a scholar."

Pretender

Postby Vestra » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:34 pm

100% willing to judge

Also omega are those treetops from the Megablocks dinosaur sets? I had the T-Rex from that set, it was awesome.
Looking for various MP figures, swing me a pm if you have any for sale gentlemen.

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:06 pm

Vestra wrote:100% willing to judge

Also omega are those treetops from the Megablocks dinosaur sets? I had the T-Rex from that set, it was awesome.

I got them with a call of duty set, there really handy for set ups

TFNZ Administrator

Postby jiptravolta » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:00 pm

Great idea! If there's still a spot for judging, I wouldn't mind helping out :)

Decepticon Warlord

Postby NKF » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:36 pm

Mr_Ash wrote:I like to judge people - count me in :D

Vestra wrote:100% willing to judge

jiptravolta wrote:Great idea! If there's still a spot for judging, I wouldn't mind helping out :)

Cheers. A total of three judges will do perfectly.

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Evil Decepticon

Postby Thatotherguy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:46 pm

Fortress Magnimus

Faction Leader

Postby Monkey222 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:57 pm

What replaced Moon Base 2 you ask?

WANTED: ROTF Lockdown, Classics Grimlock Missile, ROTF Stratosphere.

View my Trade Me listings: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=2437745

Collection count is in! The grand total is 466 transformers!-20/06/2014

Headmaster City

Postby Spike » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:49 am

As a child, I had few bots. But one of them I had immense joy with was G1 Grimlock. I used to use him as a base/battle station for my minibots. Now, I have the luxury of being able to re-create my childhood imagination in Masterpiece form. With the same bots I had as a kid too!

Beachcomber, Bumblebee and Optimus were usually the bots that utilised Grimlock's battle station mode.

Of course, in my mind, it actually looked like this:

Spike's want list
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12376

Evil Decepticon

Postby Thatotherguy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:31 am

^ I had a moment where I looked at Grimlock and wondered if I could somehow base mode him for this comp, but couldn't visualise anything as awesome looking at you're creation. Very nice, love the concept of a Dino turret.

Gestalt

Postby Windbreaker » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:59 pm

Just squeaking in with my entry!

A follow-up of sorts to NKF's Galva-bach: Toying around with some stolen Autobot vehicles has necessitated some repairs at the Astro-garage. While Megatron lectures his joyriding cons, some valiant heroes may be looking to claim back their rides.

Decepticon Warlord

Postby NKF » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:07 am

I blame the Galva-Bach as part of the inspiration for this contest. ;) Some great entires so far by the way.

With Friday over the deadline for the first round entries has passed. Time to pass it over to our judges to offer their thoughts on the submissions and to rank them by preference from the least favourite to favourite. I'll leave it entirely up to the judges to decide how they want to judge the entries.

I will be using the preference list from each judge to assign points to the contestants.

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Decepticon Warlord

Postby NKF » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:47 am

Hey folks, nearly there with tallying the scores for the first round, but I may as well announce Round 2.

The theme for Round 2 is collaboration. Not all bots will be complex enough to transform into something that can pass off as a functional base on their own. However, it might just work if two bots work together with each filling a role the other lacks.

Round 2 submissions close Friday 23/12.

This round will be the most complex of the three rounds. Round 3 will be a bit sillier and a lot easier since it will be running during the holiday break and I think a lot of us will be in holiday mode then.

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Next

Return to General Discussion