Any photography enthusiasts?

Discuss anything you like in here, as long as it doesn't belong in the other forums and is appropriate.

Moderator: Moderators

Autobot Commander
User avatar
Posts: 4853
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Cuppa Tea Coast.

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby mr_sooty » Sat May 02, 2015 3:13 pm

Awesome pics Soak. I nearly bought a DSLR a couple of weeks ago, the entry level Canons that are going for under $500 were awfully tempting. After umming and ahhing about whether I was prepared to throw down half a grand on a camera, I did the only sensible thing, and spent half that again ($750) on a non SLR. Go figure. It's a Fujifilm X-S1, pretty awesome. Does most of what a DSLR does except it just has one ultra versatile fixed lens so I don't have to muck around with lens, one lens does macro up to 26x optical zoom and double that digital.
Image

Autobot Commander
User avatar
Posts: 4853
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Cuppa Tea Coast.

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby mr_sooty » Sat May 02, 2015 3:17 pm

11156257_10203741918340110_5012423925065341723_n.jpg
11156257_10203741918340110_5012423925065341723_n.jpg (104.46 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
10999640_10203741915940050_4217394525151583304_n.jpg
10999640_10203741915940050_4217394525151583304_n.jpg (71.34 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
11146175_10203741919460138_6168714269792764874_n.jpg
11146175_10203741919460138_6168714269792764874_n.jpg (31.79 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
Image

Gestalt
Posts: 1234
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Queenstown

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby IronhideTFX » Sat May 02, 2015 5:11 pm

mr_sooty wrote:Awesome pics Soak. I nearly bought a DSLR a couple of weeks ago, the entry level Canons that are going for under $500 were awfully tempting. After umming and ahhing about whether I was prepared to throw down half a grand on a camera, I did the only sensible thing, and spent half that again ($750) on a non SLR. Go figure. It's a Fujifilm X-S1, pretty awesome. Does most of what a DSLR does except it just has one ultra versatile fixed lens so I don't have to muck around with lens, one lens does macro up to 26x optical zoom and double that digital.


Thats actually a really good camera! F2.8 Fujion lens, right? And the fuji sensor handles low light like a champ (Plus you can do RAW processing).
Good choice. Best photo i ever took of the moon was on that camera.

Old Timer i believe you're right on the rebranding.

I did not realise we had so many photo enthusiasts!

Anyone here use Instagram or Flickr or something? Sound off with your profiles! We should add each other.

Headmaster City
User avatar
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: Palmy

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby Old_Timer » Sat May 02, 2015 5:55 pm

On Flickr but haven't really used it except to upload some pics I took on an old compact several years ago... sounds like I need to start using it. Will pm details later.
Durka Durka Durka!! Mohammed Jihad!!!!

No.of TF's in collection:32 (just a beginner)
Gender: Male
Fave quote: You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without falling over.

Heroic Autobot
User avatar
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:50 am

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby soak314 » Sat May 02, 2015 9:55 pm

Cheers guys, Ironhide, I'll take those tips and use 'em. I really haven't tooled around much with lens correction (and the lens itself), but now it looks like I'll need to. I'll have a field trip on monday and I'll lug the thing along to test it out on proper landscapes.

Old Timer, I do believe Rokinon and Samyang are one and the same.

>Samyang SLR lenses are also branded as Vivitar, Falcon, Rokinon, Walimex, Bower, Opteka, Bell and Howell, Polar, and Pro-Optic.

From the wikipedia page. And yes indeed, I got my tripod because I knew I was gonna have a heck of a time if I chose to just freehand this thing.

And thanks, mr sooty, gratz on the three digit non TF purchase. Love that shot of the sunset!

Autobot Commander
User avatar
Posts: 4853
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Cuppa Tea Coast.

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby mr_sooty » Sun May 03, 2015 5:19 pm

Yeah thanks, I'm pretty stoked with the photos I'm getting. I'm really new to the whole camera thing, but yeah it's f2.8, up only just learned what that means. Unfortunately I don't get to have DSLR bragging rights, but I think it was probably the best choice for my needs at my budget.
Image

Heroic Autobot
User avatar
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:50 am

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby soak314 » Tue May 05, 2015 12:09 am

Loooong day out in the northern mangroves, took a few okay shots with the lens while I was at it.

Image

Handles the actual sun fairly nicely in short exposure shots. Gotta love the irony of this sign's placement, too. Those mangroves weren't doin nothin to nobody.

Image

IronhideTFX's tip in action: that infinity focus thing certainly does what it says on the 500$ tin.

Warping's actually a bigger issue than the usual with this thing apparently, making lens correction a must via Lightroom.

Gestalt
Posts: 1234
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Queenstown

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby IronhideTFX » Fri May 08, 2015 10:38 pm

soak314 wrote:Loooong day out in the northern mangroves, took a few okay shots with the lens while I was at it.

Image

Handles the actual sun fairly nicely in short exposure shots. Gotta love the irony of this sign's placement, too. Those mangroves weren't doin nothin to nobody.

Image

IronhideTFX's tip in action: that infinity focus thing certainly does what it says on the 500$ tin.

Warping's actually a bigger issue than the usual with this thing apparently, making lens correction a must via Lightroom.


Glad it worked out!!

Yeah lens correction is really easy in LR, just got to know where to look.

Took this shot today:

ImageRemarkables by benrobinsonnz, on Flickr

Starting to see snow on the mountains!

Heroic Autobot
User avatar
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:50 am

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby soak314 » Sat May 09, 2015 4:24 pm

That is some crazy crisp detail, man. Would've loved to have had a wide angle when I was down south, or when I was in the US.

Gestalt
Posts: 1234
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Queenstown

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby IronhideTFX » Sun May 10, 2015 10:25 pm

soak314 wrote:That is some crazy crisp detail, man. Would've loved to have had a wide angle when I was down south, or when I was in the US.

A friend of mine also got that lens, so jealous. I would love an ultra wide.

Snapped this tonight:

ImageQueenstown LakeFront by Ben Robinson, on Flickr

Really wish i had an ultra wide...

Headmaster City
User avatar
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: Palmy

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby Old_Timer » Mon May 11, 2015 12:42 pm

IronhideTFX wrote:Really wish i had an ultra wide...


Sheesh... pics like that you don't need an ultra wide dude! Awesome! I need to do some serious upskilling!

Here are a few I"ve taken in the last week.

Sunsetting in Enoshima, Japan.

ImageIMG_0622 by Floorpie, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0621 by Floorpie, on Flickr

Looking closely at these you can see the silhouette of Mt. Fuji beginning to appear as the sun was going down.

One of my students blowing bubbles.

ImageIMG_0688 by Floorpie, on Flickr

The other teacher with one of his students.

ImageIMG_0685 by Floorpie, on Flickr
Durka Durka Durka!! Mohammed Jihad!!!!

No.of TF's in collection:32 (just a beginner)
Gender: Male
Fave quote: You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without falling over.

Gestalt
Posts: 1234
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Queenstown

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby IronhideTFX » Mon May 11, 2015 1:01 pm

Old_Timer wrote:
IronhideTFX wrote:Really wish i had an ultra wide...


Sheesh... pics like that you don't need an ultra wide dude! Awesome! I need to do some serious upskilling!

Here are a few I"ve taken in the last week.

Sunsetting in Enoshima, Japan.

ImageIMG_0622 by Floorpie, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0621 by Floorpie, on Flickr

Looking closely at these you can see the silhouette of Mt. Fuji beginning to appear as the sun was going down.

Love those sunsets!! So good, and very cool with Mt Fuji!!

Gestalt
Posts: 1234
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Queenstown

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby IronhideTFX » Wed May 13, 2015 10:36 am

Went Aurora hunting last night.
While my view was mainly blocked by mountains, i did manage to snap this:

ImageRemarkable Aurora by Ben Robinson, on Flickr

Faction Leader
User avatar
Posts: 1481
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Not the South Island

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby Meangreen » Wed May 13, 2015 6:55 pm

IronhideTFX wrote:Went Aurora hunting last night.
While my view was mainly blocked by mountains, i did manage to snap this:

ImageRemarkable Aurora by Ben Robinson, on Flickr

Beautiful. I've been out hunting a number of times. It's an amazing thing to see. If you use facebook you should join the aurora australis group.
Image

Gestalt
Posts: 1234
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Queenstown

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby IronhideTFX » Wed May 13, 2015 8:31 pm

Meangreen wrote:
IronhideTFX wrote:Went Aurora hunting last night.
While my view was mainly blocked by mountains, i did manage to snap this:

ImageRemarkable Aurora by Ben Robinson, on Flickr

Beautiful. I've been out hunting a number of times. It's an amazing thing to see. If you use facebook you should join the aurora australis group.


Im on there!
If anyone is interested, there should be another flare tonight. Bit cloudy here, but if its clear in your area point it south and try some long exposure.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests