Any photography enthusiasts?

Discuss anything you like in here, as long as it doesn't belong in the other forums and is appropriate.

Moderator: Moderators

Gestalt

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby IronhideTFX » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:34 pm

davehammer wrote:I have a macro lens but I think it's just a cheap crappy one.
Find it really difficult to focus with :S
Tend to stick with the normal lens, more versatile and easier to use.

I know a way of blacking out the reflective backgrounds in photoshop.
By using selective colour then select black and just crank the black channel all the way up
But it's time consuming to do it for every photo and sometimes when the subject has a lot of black in it, doesn't work too well

Here's my Frieza going supernova :D

Thats cool!
Can't wait for Brolly, he will be fun to pose.

Thats pretty cheap for the Tamron, they got for about $399 RRP.

Heroic Autobot

Postby soak314 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:28 am

Macro lenses + tubes are generally meant for subjects faaaar smaller than your average toy. Usage with a tripod is also highly recommend as the small focus range + insane levels of detail will almost always give you blurry-ass pics if you shoot freehand.

I reckon the kit lens that comes with a camera is more often than not perfect for casual toy photography. However, I upgraded to a prime 50mm (as advised by my photographer cousin) and I've never looked back .

Shot with the kit: http://36.media.tumblr.com/d9b5262c9f0c ... 1_1280.jpg

Shot with the nifty fifty: http://41.media.tumblr.com/3c134e48ca92 ... 1_1280.jpg

They're similar shots that showcase how well the 50mm picks up detail. There's a lot more depth and clarity to the pictures it takes, although in this case the venusaur pic is far better composed. Next on my itinerary would be buying a wide-angle lens. Past that, I really don't see needing much of anything else for just taking pictures of transforming plastic robots.

Headmaster City

Postby Old_Timer » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:49 am

soak314 wrote:Macro lenses + tubes are generally meant for subjects faaaar smaller than your average toy. Usage with a tripod is also highly recommend as the small focus range + insane levels of detail will almost always give you blurry-ass pics if you shoot freehand.

I reckon the kit lens that comes with a camera is more often than not perfect for casual toy photography. However, I upgraded to a prime 50mm (as advised by my photographer cousin) and I've never looked back .

They're similar shots that showcase how well the 50mm picks up detail. There's a lot more depth and clarity to the pictures it takes, although in this case the venusaur pic is far better composed. Next on my itinerary would be buying a wide-angle lens. Past that, I really don't see needing much of anything else for just taking pictures of transforming plastic robots.

Is the 50mm the cheap Canon F1.8 lens? I've heard good things about them. When I say cheap, I mean very good value for money, not cheap quality. I've got the 40mm F2.8 lens from Canon and it's a much better quality lens than my Tamron macro superzoom. I've also got a Tokina atx11-16 lens which is a great quality wide angle lens. I should use it a lot more than I do.
Durka Durka Durka!! Mohammed Jihad!!!!

No.of TF's in collection:32 (just a beginner)
Fave quote: You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without falling over.

Heroic Autobot

Postby soak314 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:33 pm

Is the 50mm the cheap Canon F1.8 lens? I've heard good things about them. When I say cheap, I mean very good value for money, not cheap quality. I've got the 40mm F2.8 lens from Canon and it's a much better quality lens than my Tamron macro superzoom. I've also got a Tokina atx11-16 lens which is a great quality wide angle lens. I should use it a lot more than I do.

That it is. There's a few versions of the lens iirc, the newer ones being affordable since they're lightweight and made mostly out of plastic. I reckon your 40mm won't be too far off from it in terms of performance and how it's used.

I haven't really looked into wide angle lenses since the things are quite pricey, but the Tokina's definitely on the wishlist. Is ultrawide angle much use in terms of toy photography?

Headmaster City

Postby Old_Timer » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:31 pm

soak314 wrote:I haven't really looked into wide angle lenses since the things are quite pricey, but the Tokina's definitely on the wishlist. Is ultrawide angle much use in terms of toy photography?

I haven't done any toy photography but I imagine it would be quite awesome. The thing about wide angle is you really need something in the foreground that you want as the focus of the pic, so toys would make great subjects as you'd want to get in close to them. Ultra wide angle lenses can take great shots but everything in the background is always so small... so landscapes for example as a background are awesome but as the subject of the shot they are a bit of a waste of time.

Gestalt

Postby IronhideTFX » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Old_Timer wrote:
soak314 wrote:Macro lenses + tubes are generally meant for subjects faaaar smaller than your average toy. Usage with a tripod is also highly recommend as the small focus range + insane levels of detail will almost always give you blurry-ass pics if you shoot freehand.

Is that 40mm the pancake lens? Really good for videoing (Has the STM focusing system).

I really want a 50mm next. Anyone here need to get rid of a Sony/Minolta 50mm F1.4? Lol.

Man i can't wait to get back into toy photography. Currently living 'out of a suitcase' in Queenstown at the moment. Will have a permanent place later on, but all my MPs are packed up.

Headmaster City

Postby Old_Timer » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:26 pm

IronhideTFX wrote:Is that 40mm the pancake lens? Really good for videoing (Has the STM focusing system).

Yeah that's the one. Using continuous AF works really well with it as the STM system is really quiet and I've heard it's faster than standard NON L series lenses with USM (I don't have any USM lenses though, so I can't be sure of that). That's what makes it a good lens for video. Would love to be able to afford L series USM lenses... but I can't :(

Decepticon Warlord

Postby NKF » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:09 pm

Thanks to a discount, I ended up convincing myself to purchase my first ever DSLR. A Canon EOS 600D with twin lens kit (18~55mm and 55~250mm macro lenses). I'm feeling a bit of a newb having to learn the concepts and lingo and the micromanager in me is pleasantly overwhelmed by all the buttons, knobs and dials. Since it's the shorter of the two, I'm guessing the 18~55mm lens is the basic or stock lens? For toy photography, it's proving to be quite adequate.

This shot I took of CW Powerglide for last months hauls was a bit of play with the camera functions.

Not too bad I think. I was using aperture control mode to mess with the field of depth to get the detail in the background to go all blurry while keeping the main subject sharp. I also took another shot with the settings the other way to get a clear background comparison shot:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff15 ... aul02b.jpg

From my short experience with this, I'm starting to wish I had invested in a DSLR many years ago.

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Heroic Autobot

Postby soak314 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:44 pm

Ultra wide angle lenses can take great shots but everything in the background is always so small

That might actually come in super handy for getting illusions of scale. Bloody Combiner Wars mucking up my lens budgeting :lol:

Thanks to a discount, I ended up convincing myself to purchase my first ever DSLR.

Wrap your head around the manual mode, fastest way to get to know the camera. Shooting toys is generally a lot easier due to static light sources and not having to swear at clouds blocking the sun and whatnot. Lots of swing room for learning the new tool.

Some toy photography tips:

1.) If you're shooting with a lamp, ISO should be no higher than 100 to get the best quality shots. You're taking pictures of small things, and it makes noise really apparent even at ISO 200.

2.) One lamp is often enough. Use reflectors instead of over saturating your shots with light. On that note, soften your main light source. Piece of paper towel rubber banded around the lamp mouth to filter the bulb should do it. It'll make your whites less white and shadow gradients much softer.

3.) Anything wider than Av 2.6-ish is generally overkill, you'll start losing uniform focus on the primary subject when you go wider. http://40.media.tumblr.com/802f35c8ad6a ... 1_1280.jpg is a really good example of focus (and ISO noise) gone out of control. It works for some shots, but most of the time will just make things busier than they need to be.

4.) If you need your exposure to go up and don't want to compromise depth of focus/ISO, use a tripod and play with shutter speed. You won't be able to freehand every shot you make, ESPECIALLY at the toy photography scale, so I'd say a small tripod is an absolute necessity.

5.) Greater distance between the camera and the subject = less focus on the background. https://40.media.tumblr.com/c77a2e407dc ... 3_1280.jpg for example has these two toys mere centimeters away from each other, and was shot with the camera a good ways back to make Goji blurrier.

6.) Use snoots for your lamps to get control of light falloff if you want to do a lot of product shots. All the grey backdrop, vignetted shots on my tumblr are done with a (now rather dirty) white piece of cartolina. Controlling the amount of light that hits it can let you get that white to gray, and even black.

And finally, a look at the product photography setup I use (second lamp mostly for rim lighting that I rarely ever use now): https://www.dropbox.com/s/fcjtzynwjl4gs ... p.jpg?dl=0

Heroic Autobot

Postby soak314 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:15 am

Wide lens is wide. (also a bonus look at how I live)

Samyang 14mil 2.8, to be specific. I feel it's entirely too situational for toy photography, but I can think of some niche applications for it possibly involving garage-spanning setups.

Now I can take landscape photos without feeling absolutely frustrated with the narrow shots!

Gestalt

Postby IronhideTFX » Fri May 01, 2015 7:53 pm

soak314 wrote:Image

Wide lens is wide. (also a bonus look at how I live)

Samyang 14mil 2.8, to be specific. I feel it's entirely too situational for toy photography, but I can think of some niche applications for it possibly involving garage-spanning setups.

Now I can take landscape photos without feeling absolutely frustrated with the narrow shots!

Please let me know how that lens goes. Its on my list of lenses to get! Supposed to be awesome for night time star shots too. Congrats man.

Supreme Commander

Postby skydemolisher » Fri May 01, 2015 9:00 pm

I am so glad I am not the only one who lives like that... (D)
(D) For the Glory of the Decepticon Empire!!!!!!! (D)

Heroic Autobot

Postby soak314 » Sat May 02, 2015 1:12 am

Supposed to be awesome for night time star shots too.

Quick and dirty with the new tripod, 20 seconds of exposure time at 100iso (this thing is very difficult to focus in the dark). I can't quite remember what fstop I was shooting at.

Light from the house mucking up the bottom of the shot, but that was a nearly pitch black sky to the naked eye otherwise. Around 3 or 5 visible stars in frame. Lens just picks it all up effortlessly.

... well, not quite. As I've mentioned, the focusing gets in the way. The canon model of the samyang doesn't link up electronically with your body, so you'll be going full manual. It also won't transmit exif data which is a rather large bummer.

Using it in the dark requires a lot of trial and error, and intuition.

This is how it processes sunburst:

And this is an example of how it can warp the nearest lines in a really deep shot:

Gestalt

Postby IronhideTFX » Sat May 02, 2015 2:31 am

soak314 wrote:
Supposed to be awesome for night time star shots too.

Quick and dirty with the new tripod, 20 seconds of exposure time at 100iso (this thing is very difficult to focus in the dark). I can't quite remember what fstop I was shooting at.

Light from the house mucking up the bottom of the shot, but that was a nearly pitch black sky to the naked eye otherwise. Around 3 or 5 visible stars in frame. Lens just picks it all up effortlessly.

... well, not quite. As I've mentioned, the focusing gets in the way. The canon model of the samyang doesn't link up electronically with your body, so you'll be going full manual. It also won't transmit exif data which is a rather large bummer.

Using it in the dark requires a lot of trial and error, and intuition.

This is how it processes sunburst:

And this is an example of how it can warp the nearest lines in a really deep shot:

You'll find most ultra wides warp a wee bit, but thats easily fixed in Lightroom.
It will also have lens profiles, so you can add in exif data.

For focusing with that one, set to infinity, you should find that will bring you most success.

I believe with that lens on a crop sensor (1000D right?) you should be able to expose for 30 seconds with out star trails.

Such an awesome lens!

Headmaster City

Postby Old_Timer » Sat May 02, 2015 12:54 pm

Those shots show that lens off really well Soak. The Samyang... is that also sold under the Rokinon brand? I was thinking about getting a Rokinon lens before settling on the Tokina... more because I could try it locally before buying than any other reason.

Recently I went out after work one night to try it out on cherry blossoms... spent about 2 hours taking random shots. The light that these lenses let in is really amazing. Here is one shot of a few that I have uploaded on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153010947178855&l=d88ba162e6

If there is no tripod on hand it is REALLY difficult to get a good sharp shot as you can see from that. Anyway... the photos I uploaded there were my first attempt at some night photography... haven't tried any astro yet but will in the near future when I get a good clear night.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion