Any photography enthusiasts?

Discuss anything you like in here, as long as it doesn't belong in the other forums and is appropriate.

Moderator: Moderators

Heroic Autobot
User avatar
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:50 am

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby soak314 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:49 pm

Casting Thread Necromancy because this is a good topic.

Been stepping up my own photography, mostly via a newish camera (EOS 1000D with a nifty fifty).

Toys are of course the main thing take pics of, but I've been doing a few portraits/landscapes since owning the DSLR will automatically make you the family photographer. I haven't been getting too much into the technicalities of flash techniques yet, as the majority of my stuff is done with static light sources.

My stuff here: http://sokaroid.tumblr.com/

Latest photoset with the godzilla and evanjellyun is the first time I've used the 50mm in a studio setup. It's a gorgeous lens, shadows are nice and soft and the jump in clarity from the kit is crazy.

Supreme Commander
Posts: 8265
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:08 pm

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby skydemolisher » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:38 pm

soak314 wrote:Casting Thread Necromancy because this is a good topic.

Been stepping up my own photography, mostly via a newish camera (EOS 1000D with a nifty fifty).

Toys are of course the main thing take pics of, but I've been doing a few portraits/landscapes since owning the DSLR will automatically make you the family photographer. I haven't been getting too much into the technicalities of flash techniques yet, as the majority of my stuff is done with static light sources.

My stuff here: http://sokaroid.tumblr.com/

Latest photoset with the godzilla and evanjellyun is the first time I've used the 50mm in a studio setup. It's a gorgeous lens, shadows are nice and soft and the jump in clarity from the kit is crazy.



I loved the Eva/Godzilla pics when I found them on tumblr the other night. :)
(D) For the Glory of the Decepticon Empire!!!!!!! (D)

Gestalt
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Queenstown

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby IronhideTFX » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:08 pm

soak314 wrote:Casting Thread Necromancy because this is a good topic.

Been stepping up my own photography, mostly via a newish camera (EOS 1000D with a nifty fifty).

Toys are of course the main thing take pics of, but I've been doing a few portraits/landscapes since owning the DSLR will automatically make you the family photographer. I haven't been getting too much into the technicalities of flash techniques yet, as the majority of my stuff is done with static light sources.

My stuff here: http://sokaroid.tumblr.com/

Latest photoset with the godzilla and evanjellyun is the first time I've used the 50mm in a studio setup. It's a gorgeous lens, shadows are nice and soft and the jump in clarity from the kit is crazy.


Looking good! Yeah 50 is a fun lens, awesome use of depth of field!

Heroic Autobot
User avatar
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:50 am

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby soak314 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:44 pm

Cheers, guys.

Any of you gents have repositories of your own? I find TF toy photographers are few and far between.

Personally, I find a lot of transformers to be far too messy for my generally minimalist execution. I'll take promo shots of most my TF's, but past that it gets tricky. When you start to compose around shots with *mulitiple* tf's, the colorful, busy, and often starkly contrasting visuals of each toy just makes it so hard.

Gestalt
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Queenstown

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby IronhideTFX » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:51 pm

I found Flickr to be a good source.
Upload high res shots (And you can see EXIF data to see what settings were used)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123546451 ... 145233403/

Thats my TF stuff. Just gotten my revoltech figures out of storage, can't wait to mess round with them.

Heroic Autobot
User avatar
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:50 am

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby soak314 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:23 pm



Gorgeous, great use of the different BG's, love how the styrofoam turned out, and that desert shot is hella convincing.

Mind the joints on those revoltechs though, the bloody wrist pegs like to get crispy with age. I've had to drill out and fix a few broken ones on my Roddy and UM.

Might get some of the older bots out for some re-representation. A lot of my older 'learning' pics were taken with an easyshare, and are pretty embarrasing in hindsight.

Evil Decepticon
User avatar
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:25 pm

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby davehammer » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:42 pm

Those are some awesome photos Ben!
How did you get your MP10 in a completely black background?

I got a Canon EOS 6D but I don't even know what half it's functions does :oops:
Image

Gestalt
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Queenstown

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby IronhideTFX » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:28 pm

davehammer wrote:Those are some awesome photos Ben!
How did you get your MP10 in a completely black background?

I got a Canon EOS 6D but I don't even know what half it's functions does :oops:


Thanks!

Pure accident, lol.
Was taking photos during the day (Plus using lamps), extra light meant i could up the shutter speed, reducing how much of my black background came through.
6D is good, really good in low light. Do you have a Prime lens (like a 50mm?).

Image

Took this today. Just loving the Figuarts range!

Heroic Autobot
User avatar
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:50 am

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby soak314 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:27 pm

You could likely snoot the majority of that black bg into complete darkness if you'd like, just angle the light away with a regulator (rolled up piece of construction paper for me). Makes for a good sense of depth.

i.e. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ue3si7hsz3298 ... 1247-1.jpg

Using a gloss black background would likely get you pure black with naught but a reflection beneath the feet.

How many lamps do you typically use?

Gestalt
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Queenstown

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby IronhideTFX » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:27 pm

soak314 wrote:You could likely snoot the majority of that black bg into complete darkness if you'd like, just angle the light away with a regulator (rolled up piece of construction paper for me). Makes for a good sense of depth.

i.e. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ue3si7hsz3298 ... 1247-1.jpg

Using a gloss black background would likely get you pure black with naught but a reflection beneath the feet.

How many lamps do you typically use?


I do like that.
Never would have thought of gloss... but that looks nice.
Just two (Really need one more or something reflective), but they are low powered bed side lamps.
Also the black paper I'm using isn't quiet ideal, captures the light in odd ways sometimes. But we live and learn.

Headmaster City
User avatar
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: Palmy

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby Old_Timer » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:19 pm

Yeah I want to get into photography more myself as well... I've got an EOS 70D... haven't really started using it as much as I would like to, but loving the ease of use. I've got an EF40mm stm lens... and a Tamron 18-200 macro lens... LOVE the 40mm but the Tamron lens I wouldn't recommend... only bought it because it was cheap. Haven't really got anything to share from it yet though.
Durka Durka Durka!! Mohammed Jihad!!!!

No.of TF's in collection:32 (just a beginner)
Gender: Male
Fave quote: You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without falling over.

Gestalt
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Queenstown

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby IronhideTFX » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:28 am

Old_Timer wrote:Yeah I want to get into photography more myself as well... I've got an EOS 70D... haven't really started using it as much as I would like to, but loving the ease of use. I've got an EF40mm stm lens... and a Tamron 18-200 macro lens... LOVE the 40mm but the Tamron lens I wouldn't recommend... only bought it because it was cheap. Haven't really got anything to share from it yet though.


Pretty sure the Tamron isn't macro.
Its great value for money (The $399 version?). If so, only downside is non image stabilised. But again, great value for money.
40mm STM is a really nice lens. Compact and will be really fast focus on 70D.

Make time in your day to just go snap some shots. Leave the 40mm on and take your 70D to work.
Great thing with DSLR's is you can leave it on auto until you are comfortable enough to move up to a more manual setting.

Seems there is a few shutter bugs here too, so post in this thread if you get stuck (or want to show off a shot) :)

Headmaster City
User avatar
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: Palmy

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby Old_Timer » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:12 pm

Ah... they call the Tamron a macro lens but it's really a superzoom with macro capabilities... at 45cm (actually less than that) from the subject you can fully zoom and still get good focus... it's still quite good for an all rounder. I paid about 20,000 yen, or about $240 NZD at the current rate, but it feels cheap too. This one here...

http://www.tamron.co.jp/lineup/a14/index.html

Sorry it's in Japanese.
Durka Durka Durka!! Mohammed Jihad!!!!

No.of TF's in collection:32 (just a beginner)
Gender: Male
Fave quote: You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without falling over.

Evil Decepticon
User avatar
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:25 pm

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby davehammer » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:48 am

I have a macro lens but I think it's just a cheap crappy one.
Find it really difficult to focus with :S
Tend to stick with the normal lens, more versatile and easier to use.

I know a way of blacking out the reflective backgrounds in photoshop.
By using selective colour then select black and just crank the black channel all the way up
But it's time consuming to do it for every photo and sometimes when the subject has a lot of black in it, doesn't work too well

Here's my Frieza going supernova :D

Image
Image

Supreme Commander
Posts: 8265
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:08 pm

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Postby skydemolisher » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:26 pm

Found this today on Tumblr;

http://technomonk13.tumblr.com/
(D) For the Glory of the Decepticon Empire!!!!!!! (D)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest