Rogue One

In a forum far far away, discuss other popular brands such as Marvel Legends, Star Wars, Batman, X-men and all their related media.

Moderator: Moderators

Gestalt

Rogue One

Postby [omega] » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:20 am

The new Star Wars trailer.
Got me a bit confused with Darth and what the hell happened to the last star wars we just watched with bb8 and all that jazz?
Seems a whole new episode with no relation to the last?
Looks like it's the story of the the retrievel of the Death Star plans from a new hope starring Donnie Yen.

https://youtu.be/frdj1zb9sMY

Headmaster City

Re: Rouge one

Postby Old_Timer » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:32 am

Rouge One? Is she wearing too much blush? Sorry, jokes, but yeah Rogue One is about the operation to steal the plans of the original death star. Unfortunately, seeing that new trailer, I felt like the lead knows she is the star and is overdoing it a bit. Wouldn't be star wars without some cheese though.
Durka Durka Durka!! Mohammed Jihad!!!!

No.of TF's in collection:32 (just a beginner)
Fave quote: You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without falling over.

TFNZ Administrator

Postby jiptravolta » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:22 am

Let's remember that Rogue One is not considered as part of the new trilogy, but a standalone, bridging story to bridge episodes 3 and 4.

I dig it. And is that an intelligent Super Battle Droid?

Gestalt

Postby [omega] » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:06 pm

Gestalt

Postby [omega] » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:08 pm

Gestalt

Postby [omega] » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:11 pm

Gestalt

Postby [omega] » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:13 pm

Mini-Con

Re: Rogue One

Postby Liberator » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:37 pm

I like the look and atmosphere of the movie trailer and where its heading but now I think they are swaying away from the lasts movie.
it would of made sense if George had that idea when he made return of the jedi to make rouge one to go with a new hope.

Gestalt

Postby Sledgehama » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:13 pm

My spoiler filled and overly rambling thoughts:

Overall I had a great time with this film. I also agree that the score was a bit disappointing and lacking - perfectly serviceable but we want more than that from our Star Wars movies.

The space battle at the end was fantastic and i nearly jumped for joy when Red Leader and Gold Leader appeared - that sort of smart cool cameo was just the sort of peppering with established Star Wars that I wanted from this film.

The story itself didn't have much in the way of surprises I felt - the pre-title sequence played out almost exactly as I expected from having seen the trailers for example - but not in a manner that left me feeling unsatisfied. I came in expecting (and in a weird way almost wanting) our new characters to make the ultimate sacrifice during the course of the film but when each one did die, it felt right and earned and I was legitimately sorry to see them die. I don't know that it really needed to jut right up to the opening of Episode IV as much as it did - having the Tantive IV escape at the end as it did seemed a smidge close to crossing that line, but the good of it clearly outweighed the potentially negative - but the cameos and easter eggs came across as more fun than a hindrance to the film.

Krennic felt a little under-developed in terms of his ultimate storyline - something more about his hubris creating the means of his own downfall might have just brought that out a bit more, but he was a serviceable villain. Tarkin (who looked almost too vivid, too detailed too... juicy?) was interestingly placed as a foil and it was nice to see the character's return - even if the results from an FX perspective are not quite 100%, it was an ambitious attempt and had some chilling moments as a result. Vader did steal the show, especially the last few minutes. I felt the actor(s) in the suit itself didn't quite nail the physical performance but it was close enough that it wasn't overly distracting (even if i felt the flatness of his cape around his shoulder was for some reason). The new troopers looked cool but didn't do especially much beyond the cool visuals and given that there were plenty of regular Stormtroopers on Scarif, I'm going to call them just Shoretroopers rather than Scarif Stormtroopers from her on out.

As for the Rebels, Felicity Jones as Jyn Erso was good. It felt like there were a couple of times she was supposed to be speechifying up a good rousing thing but the dialogue didn't give her enough material to work with. Diego Luna's Cassian Andor was good too, though there were a couple of times I felt he didn't quite get enough explanation behind his character to justify his actions - shooting the random member of Saw's Rebels on Jedha for instance seemed out of left field and didn't have a real follow-through on it other than oblique references to doing bad things for good reasons in his speech prior to heading to Scarif. Chirrut Îmwe was great - Force based belief without full-on Jedi powers was very refreshing and his taking down multiple troopers with a stick was just plain fun to watch. He and Baze Malbus made a great double-act and even the notion of them as former guardians of a Jedi temple was interesting and gave them some great backstory as well as the fun camaraderie between them with interesting differences in character while still working well together. Bhodi Rook was good but again felt like there could have been a little bit more done with him to push him over the edge into a great character - the aftermath of his encounter with the telepathic monster seemed a little easily forgotten when it was supposed to drive him mad - they could have worked that up more as a story arc with him regaining himself over the course of the film only to sacrifice himself for the cause at the end - they got kinda 2/3 of that storyline in there and it works okay but could have been stronger. The real scene stealer for the Rebels is K-2SO with his HK-47-lite dialogue - Alan Tudyk was always going to be great and he lived up to expectations, including possibly the noblest of deaths for the whole team. Mon Mothma was great to see living up to the potential of her casting from Episode III and Bail Organa added some more weight in there too, though it's sad to think we saw him just days before Alderaan was destroyed along with him. Saw Guerrera was interesting as a 'Rebel who's too hardcore for the Rebellion' and we saw some good levels of that though I didn't like the resignation to death once the Death Star fired. Admiral Raddus was so much fun that I wish we could see more of him and plenty of the other Rebellion leaders were an interesting watch. I hope we might see more of them at least in further spinoffs.

As far as series conventions, I was very glad they retained the 'A long time ago' title card and don't bemoan the lack of a text crawl, but dangit we need a Lucasfilm fanfare - the silent logo alone just isn't cutting it for me to help get in the mood. Get John Williams to do it while he's scoring Ep VIII or something, please! The location titles was interesting - letting us know the planet name and a brief blurb rather than just arriving and having the name mentioned in dialogue or in expanded universe materials. Interestingly there was no such title for the location of Vader's castle which seems an odd choice to be the only one left out. Is it Mustafar or some other lava planet? I presume they left it out so as to preserve the surprise that it was Vader's place, but it just seemed odd that it would go unnamed - wonder where and when we'll get the official word on that? The new hardware were fine - the AT-ACT made a good level of sense as re-purposed assets to aid in the ground battle, the U-Wing looked very cool in action (though I still haven't nailed down exactly when it needs to have the wings swung) and the TIE Strikers looked good though I'm not entirely sure exactly what their purpose is. There was another TIE Striker-like vehicle in that I'm going to have to look into as I don't think we got to see exactly what the purpose of that variant was. But seeing the classics in action like proper Star Destroyers (and getting totaled in such imaginative action!) was great and was so satisfying.

Overall, this was a great bit of backstory filling that was a side story that didn't need to be told to understand the saga but does add quite a bit of breadth, scale and a more personal understanding of the cost. This was the first real chance to go back to the original trilogy and it was as satisfying as we could ever have hoped. I'm sure that this will show that there is certainly the appetite for well-made standalone Star Wars movies but I do rather hope that the future ones will feel a little bit freer to use the SW universe as a backdrop rather than feeling too much need to have something to tie into the main saga events. We've seen that these new characters can be as vibrant as any in the central saga installments - now it's time to let them breath a bit more and stretch their wings further rather than feel they need to act almost as an Episode 3.9. Definitely worth watching - well worth your time and money and I'm sure a lot of people will gladly add this to their marathons prior to ANH.

My two cents anyway :)

Gestalt

Postby Sledgehama » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:14 pm

Whoops, double post -sorry!
Last edited by Sledgehama on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Autobot Commander

Postby mr_sooty » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:40 pm

John Williams did do the music, at least he's in the credits, but it was definitely not his best work. I agree it really needed the traditional score. I know they're trying to set it apart, but who cares, the proper music would have been better. The music was the biggest let down for me.

Over-all though, I really really liked it. It was dark and gritty and not cheesy. I like that the rebels looked like terrorists, because basically that's what they are. I liked that they were kinda a disorganized shambles. I actually liked so much about this movie. I loved the action, I loved the effects, I loved the guy who had faith in the force but no real force ability, like a religious zealot. I loved Darth Vader. I loved the 'cameos' cut straight out of A New Hope (this is Gold Leader)...

Some have criticized the CGI Grand Moff Tarkin, and yes it was slightly jarring, but pretty amazing really. The other options would have been either exclude the character, which would have been a shame, or get a different actor, which wouldn't really have worked either. I thought what they did was pretty flippin amazing, and even better with Leia.

I loved the new ship designs, all the tech seemed to fit. I liked the integration of the old school stuff. Risky, hard to pull off, not perfect, but pretty freakin awesome.

Bug bears: Probably the least of any post 80's Star Wars movie, but here they are:

The music, as mentioned. I hated the 'A long time ago...' tease not being followed by the iconic music. It's still a Star Wars film. Why not? It just would have been better.

I wondered why the 'Admiral Ackbar' type character wasn't just actually Admiral Ackbar. Again, why not? Would have worked better. The new guy was so much like Ackbar, why not just actually make it Ackbar?

I liked the appearance of Walrus Man and 'You just watch yourself' guy, and I love that he's going around picking fights all across the galaxy - but isn't he now dead? How do those two escape that planet and end up on Mos Eisley?

I liked that the two main rebels DIDN'T kiss, because that would have been super cheesy, but I didn't like that they almost did. Just leave it out, so unnecessary.

Where was Darth Vaders neck chain? In A New Hope he has a chain holding his cape. Details people!

Minor issues though. It was awesome. I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. Probably my favourite Star Wars movie since Jedi.

TFNZ Moderator

Postby Subria » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:36 am

Afraid it's mostly Michael Giacchino, and a rush job on the music too. John Williams is credited, due to the use of certain themes (Rebel fanfare, Death Star theme, Imperial March etc)

Overall, fairly decent, but the trouble with all of these sort of films is that it's all preordained - you know exactly what will happen here.

I quite enjoyed the fact that the Rebel Alliances came out as quite grey, and not quite as white as they tend to be. They've done some quite (and will do) some quite unpleasant things. And some of the imagery (and you've seen this in the trailers) is lovely, Galactic Empire at its peak; Star Destroyers and Stormtroopers everywhere, even if they're still hilariously incompetent.

Is this the prequel you were looking for? Quite possibly. :)

This Moderator is no longer resident.

Headmaster City

Postby Spike » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:22 am

I loved that it ended right as episode four begins. And it makes sense that it isn't ackbar because he is about to get killed when the empire capture leias ship. Agree with the juicy cgi comments. And I'm very glad that I'm not alone with the music. The continued "theme" riff they kept playing was really interrupting the flow for me.
The droid was a little too much comic filler as well. Some is ok but don't turn him into a jar jar. Thankfully he wasn't anything like that.

All said though, I really enjoyed it. A lot.
Spike's want list
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12376

Heroic Autobot

Postby Nero » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:15 pm

Thoroughly enjoyable watch, the Vader scenes were beyond epic. Very nice that they added in the scene with him in a healing vat, adds a little vulnerability to what has typically been a strong character.

Also loved K2SO, made me miss HK47 and want another KOTOR game. What a great series.

Loved the film, glad to have Disney in the driving seat if were getting quality stuff
Soundwave superior. Autobots inferior

Autobot Commander

Postby mr_sooty » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:34 pm

Spike wrote:I loved that it ended right as episode four begins. And it makes sense that it isn't ackbar because he is about to get killed when the empire capture leias ship.

Who's about to get killed? The 'not Ackbar' one? How do you figure? I don't remember which ship he was on.

Next

Return to Pop Culture Fandom