Rogue One

In a forum far far away, discuss other popular brands such as Marvel Legends, Star Wars, Batman, X-men and all their related media.

Moderator: Moderators

Headmaster City

Re: Rogue One

Postby Spike » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:39 pm

Is he not on the same ship as Leia? That was the ship receiving the plans, and it was copied onto a disc which then was handed over to the smaller ship which launched from the bigger ship. I figure either he stayed on the larger ship and would have been captured/terminated, or he also boarded the escape ship that Leia was on and he still got captured/terminated.

Could be way wrong but that is what I took from it.
Spike's want list
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12376

Autobot Commander

Postby mr_sooty » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:46 am

Spike wrote:Is he not on the same ship as Leia? That was the ship receiving the plans, and it was copied onto a disc which then was handed over to the smaller ship which launched from the bigger ship. I figure either he stayed on the larger ship and would have been captured/terminated, or he also boarded the escape ship that Leia was on and he still got captured/terminated.

Could be way wrong but that is what I took from it.

Speculation though, which means there's no reason Ackbar couldn't have been in it, assuming that didn't happen. It just kinda bugged me because it sets up questions about why Ackbar wasn't there, where did he come from - if he's an admiral in Jedi, then he obviously has some history of being a ranking officer in various battles, why not this one? And then we wonder what happens to the other guy, and it also just seems kinds silly that now there's two admirals in the rebel alliance that are both squids and sound nearly identical. It just seems like change for the sake of it, or for no particular reason. It would have been so much cleaner just to have it be Ackbar and then we all would have gone 'Ackbar was in it, cool'.

Targetmaster

Postby Defensor » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:01 pm

I thought it was better than Force Awakens. It’s my new favourite after the Original Trilogy.

About time they did a non jedi superhero movie and made something darker and more serious.
The fact that all the core cast died leaving no chance of a direct sequel just amplified the gravity and pathos of the sacrifices made for the good of the rebellion.

Loved the nods to the original series – cameos galore, LoL that they included the 2 guys who picked a fight with Luke in Mos Eisley Cantina. Did anyone catch the “I have a bad feeling about this” moment? A line that’s in every Star Wars movie apparently.
And did anyone link the use of Blue squadron with the original novelization where they used blue callsigns instead of red?

I’m very interested in the ‘resurrection’ of Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin and what it means for the future. Excellent, excellent CGI / voice acting and people who are new to Star Wars would have been hard pressed to ID him as a visual effect. But I wondered afterwards – did the studio need to pay any wages/salary to Cushing’s estate? If not (maybe they own the “likeness” of the Tarkin character) then could we potentially see a future where films no longer employ real actors anymore because then they don’t have to pay them. It’s all digitally created, and we’ll be seeing a revolution in the acting industry with famous faces either dead or alive being “licensed” for use in movies. Interesting times ahead.

That said, was it just me or the brief cameos of Red and Gold Leader looked just like they’d been copied and pasted across from A New Hope? Great to see them but didn’t look right – unlike Tarkin’s appearances.

Re: Admiral Raddus, I can see where everyone’s coming from (and I even re-watched a bit of New Hope to solidify my thoughts. After the battle of Scarif, the rebel flagship is disabled, and there’s no clue as to the crew’s eventual fate. After the capture of Tantive IV in A New Hope, you see captured rebel troops being led away hands on heads. Vader tells an officer to inform the senate that all on board were killed. So presumably you could say that any rebel captured (including the Admiral) would face execution.
The counter to this is that surely the admiral, like the captured Leia, would be someone high ranking to keep alive in order to torture out of them the location of the Rebel base. But we don’t (obviously) see the Admiral afterwards so probably safe to say he was killed in the flagship capture.
Now me personally, I would have loved for it to be Akbar, he gets captured and imprisoned. And the next Star Wars spin-off movie (“Rogue Squadron” maybe???) is about his eventual rescue in time to command the rebel fleet at Endor.

Anyways if memory about the extended universe serves, the Mon Calamari (squids) were key members of the Rebel Alliance mainly because their Mon Calamari cruisers were the only ships capable of taking on Imperial Star Destroyers one on one and surviving. They formed the backbone of the rebel fleet; required an all Mon Cal command crew (being partially organic ships I think) and as such, it’s not unreasonable to think there’s more than one admiral in the alliance. You’re right though in that it complicates the back story unnecessarily.
Overcoming a "Distinct Tactical Deficiency" one Transformer at a time

TFNZ Moderator

Postby Subria » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:48 am

Defensor wrote:
That said, was it just me or the brief cameos of Red and Gold Leader looked just like they’d been copied and pasted across from A New Hope? Great to see them but didn’t look right – unlike Tarkin’s appearances.

It's actually unused (archival) footage from A New Hope there, so that's why it looks like a copy and paste - it is!

This Moderator is no longer resident.

TFNZ Administrator

Postby jiptravolta » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:28 am

Crikey, what a ripper of a film! I trusted in Gareth Edwards, and he sure delivered! I need more time to process it

Previous

Return to Pop Culture Fandom