Star Wars TFA Discussion *WITH SPOILERS* (OK?)

In a forum far far away, discuss other popular brands such as Marvel Legends, Star Wars, Batman, X-men and all their related media.

Moderator: Moderators

Autobot Commander

Re: Star Wars TFA Discussion *WITH SPOILERS* (OK?)

Postby mr_sooty » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:31 pm

I think at least Abrams, for all his flaws, appreciates how seriously we take this shit. Lol. Something Michael Bay never did.

Autobot Commander

Postby mr_sooty » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:21 pm

I just went and saw it again. Actually enjoyed it way more the second time, being able to watch it from a less 'overwhelmed' perspective. It's a proper Star Wars movie. Really the only question I still have is why Artoo came back on when he did, but he was in 'low power mode', so he was probably still conscious, or programmed to come on when the other piece of the map was present or something. That and why threepios arm was the right colour in his last scene, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was a mistake, cgi rendering blunder that no one picked up or something. I wouldn't have even noticed if someone didn't point it out! I found so much of it made more sense to me on the second viewing. I really recommend watching it more than once. I actually loved it.

Headmaster City

Postby loismustdye » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:22 pm

Saw it, loved it.
My thiught on artoo waking up at the end feeds into what threepio says earlier, about him going into low power mode when luke disappeared.
He then wakes up when ren arrives on the base, to me meaning that ren could possibly be luke's offspring, hence the similar feel to luke being present. Or that he merely sensed a light force user that brought him out of his slumber.

Will be seeing at least twce more i think over the holidays.
no sig as photobucket nerfed it all
# of TF's: I don't have the patience to count them all
# of GIJoe: I've lost count

Faction Leader

Postby Monkey222 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:43 pm

loismustdye wrote:Saw it, loved it.
My thiught on artoo waking up at the end feeds into what threepio says earlier, about him going into low power mode when luke disappeared.
He then wakes up when ren arrives on the base, to me meaning that ren could possibly be luke's offspring, hence the similar feel to luke being present. Or that he merely sensed a light force user that brought him out of his slumber.

This makes a lot of sense. He sensed someone that Luke could train, so gave her the info to find him.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm glad BB-8 wasn't an overwhelming kid-appeal character like Jar-jar was.

Rey was an awesome character! The actress was awesome.

My biggest issue though was when Rey and Fin were having the heart-to-heart on the enemy base, Fin said something like "you were the first person to look at me like that" implying that she saw goodness in him or whatever, but when she first saw him, she thought he was a thief, and proceeded to chase him down and beat him up. Maybe Fin is a little bit of a masochist.
WANTED: ROTF Lockdown, Classics Grimlock Missile, ROTF Stratosphere.

View my Trade Me listings: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=2437745

Collection count is in! The grand total is 466 transformers!-20/06/2014

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Zippo » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:49 pm

Saw it this morning

Loved the film, but something wasn't quite right
Reading other comments, others have had the same thoughts

Supreme Commander

Postby skydemolisher » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:19 pm

I'd say Artoo was programmed to come online when Rey showed up, though maybe it is when the other part of the map is available. We could assume Luke foresaw that it would come to pass and he set it up for then. Rey seems to have no trouble understanding BB-8 despite everyone else seeming to require a translator or something that translates for them, bit like Han understands Chewbacca but most other people don't speak Wookie. Luke appeared to need Threepio to translate at first, but by ESB he seems to have learnt how to understand him, so if Rey was Luke's child she may have learnt early on how to understand Artoo and by default then knows how to understand BB-8.

I'm taking a wild swing that Threepio had been taken to Takodana on route from somewhere else, where prior to the trip he had lost his other arm, or had it replaced with a loaner until his proper arm was repaired. I'm sure he mentions something about it when he meets Han, so its possible that upon reaching D'Qar he is either reunited with it, or the proper replacement is there and it gets swapped out. I know in the Shattered Empire comic, it appears the Emperor was still using the bodies of B1 Battle droids for things, with what appears to be differing heads and hands. I guess in a way though the R2 and 3PO models would be rather obsolete (BB-8 is smaller and appears to be able to do what R2D2 does) so parts may be starting to become harder to come by, I was reading earlier at some point between ROTJ and TFA C-3PO has had an update to his language database from 6 to 7 million.

I'm not sure if the T-70 works with the same droid sockets as earlier T-65's did, I would hazard the guess they do not as the T-65's and Y-Wings we saw in Eps 4-6 and Jedi Starfighters, N-1's, etc used R-series astromechs, which virtually all seem to have the same chassis and BB-8 is called a BB series in the film so we could assume that all T-70's use a BB socket. Can't say I paid much attention to them when flying coz... Its just so cool watching them do their thing that you're not really sitting and thinking, wonder what droid it uses...

Can't wait for the DVD release and then the other films... I must say as a side note I'm really glad they offer both Anakin's and Kylo Ren's lightsabers as extendable blade toys for people to pick up and play Finn/Rey vs Kylo Ren. Such a pity the really neat FX ones are 3x more expensive.
(D) For the Glory of the Decepticon Empire!!!!!!! (D)

TFNZ Moderator

Postby Subria » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:41 pm

I'm still thinking back to the first trailer with those lines from Return of the Jedi - "The Force is strong in my family. My father had it, I have it, my sister has it, you have that power too."

He's either referring to Ben/Kylo Solo, or he's referring to Rey (the trailer at this point is showing Anakin/Luke's lightsaber being handed to her). Given we have learned that Kylo is the son of Han and Leia, it's leading me towards that Rey is Luke's daughter. If they're going strictly towards the film line of Jedi not supposed to having attachments, it seems logical that Luke gave her up to be looked after by someone else. Thus there'll be some abandonment issues, and a search for Rey's mum in the next film. :P

That would also mean that Kylo and Rey are cousins (and there's that nod back towards villains torturing family and not realising it). There will be some sort of fight between the two again, and I would imagine Rey will have a difficult choice to either kill or let Kylo live.

I enjoyed it - but that said it's a very derivative film of the original films. That annoys, but having said that, this is pretty much what everyone wanted post prequels. I can understand it, and would like to think that the next films will probably go down a more separate path.

It's interesting - people want to know about the state of government in the galaxy, what the Republic is and the relationship to the resistance, what does the First Order control etc - and pretty much none of sort of stuff that was really in the original films. All those political machinations and setup were really introduced in the prequels (and Lucas derided for). Now we want it back :P

The wife wasn't too impressed, she thought it was too much of a rip off of the original films, but praised the acting.

This Moderator is no longer resident.

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:05 am

Yeah, but in the OT it's a lot simpler: evil Empire controls the galaxy with an iron fist. Rebels want to bring them down so we get some freedom.

Now that we have six films of history to consider the weight of expectation falls on TFA to explain it. Even the opening crawl could have done better to do so.

Even a throwaway comment like "the republic does not have an organised military" (which isn't true) would make sense to the need for a Resistence.

Still, good movie!!

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Zippo » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:41 am

I need to go find the DK Visual Dictionary at the book stores.. It may have more information

Autobot Commander

Postby mr_sooty » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:09 pm

The republic funds the resistance. That's made reasonably clear. The First Order rises from the remnants of the Empire to try and re-establish the rule the Empire once held. The First Order is kind of a wannabe Empire, but hasn't yet established the kind of rule the Empire had. Destroying that planetary system would have been a way to strike fear into the galaxy and basically demand obedience. The Resistance effectively is the Republics military organisation. Separate entity but funded and sanctioned by the Republic. Prior to the rise of The First Order the republic wouldn't have had much need for a massive military wing given that the Empire had been destroyed.

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:16 pm

Zippo wrote:I need to go find the DK Visual Dictionary at the book stores.. It may have more information

Have one on order, unfortunately it hasn't come out in NZ yet.

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Zippo » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:24 am

Mr.Deflok wrote:
Zippo wrote:I need to go find the DK Visual Dictionary at the book stores.. It may have more information

Mighty Ape seem to have in stock
I just didn't want to part with any more cash - saving for my trip :-)

Love to read it in a store.
Or else "acquire some other way"

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:17 am

Zippo wrote:
Mr.Deflok wrote:

Mighty Ape seem to have in stock
I just didn't want to part with any more cash - saving for my trip :-)

Love to read it in a store.
Or else "acquire some other way"

Order changed! Thanks for the heads up :)

Will order the Art book another time.

Heroic Autobot

Postby Nero » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:20 pm

Really nice film, yes great in parts and lacking in others but does superb in re igniting the Star Wars series. Was a hard task but think it was achieved.

Most of what I would say has already been covered, great characters and character development. Very excited for the next film.

Starkiller was the protagonist of the force unleashed games and the concept last name for the skywalkers, so does that make those games somewhat cannon or just a nod? Either war, nice job.

Kylo's rages were good additions, kind of showed the volatile emotions that led anakin to the dark side and were suggested to be squashed for light side users. Shows his struggle with finding that balance between light and dark, almost over compensating with his rages and showing off his powers despite being a relative rookie after getting beaten by noobs.

I look forward to seeing Kylo, Rey, and Fin grow and develop over the next films :D
Soundwave superior. Autobots inferior

TFNZ Princess

Postby Mr_Ash » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:44 am

It's what I expected and entertained me for two hours.

My only true gripe - all that Phasma hype from trailers really led up to nothing.
"..you get more classy every time."
"..you are a gentleman and a scholar."

PreviousNext

Return to Pop Culture Fandom