Ant Man.

In a forum far far away, discuss other popular brands such as Marvel Legends, Star Wars, Batman, X-men and all their related media.

Moderator: Moderators

Pretender

Ant Man.

Postby MAULER666 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:08 pm

What an awesome movie. For me better than Avengers AOU. There are some hilarious narratives in this movie, good solid acting with Paul Rudd and the cast are perfect for the roles they have. Great segue into the Marvel-verse too, very funny. Hang around for the mid end titles and the usual end of movie Easter eggs. Git to it lad's.
My list of gimmees:
G1 Vortex
G2 Snarl
G1 Fireflight

TFNZ Moderator

Re: Ant Man.

Postby Muleac » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:02 pm

Just saw this with the kids. Highly recommended. Funny, a lot of action and a good origin story for the movie verse.

Faction Leader

Postby Monkey222 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:54 am

Just got back from it. Wow. So good.

Just a tip, stay right to the very end...

Also going for round 2 in a weeks time!
WANTED: ROTF Lockdown, Classics Grimlock Missile, ROTF Stratosphere.

View my Trade Me listings: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=2437745

Collection count is in! The grand total is 466 transformers!-20/06/2014

Gestalt

Postby Sledgehama » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:34 am

Saw it in 2D on Friday night and thought it was fun. I think I enjoyed the characters more than the film itself - Paul Rudd makes a good addition to the MCU, Evangeline Lily is just waiting to explode in super-hero action and Michael Douglas was great fun, adding a real depth to the MCU's history. Scott Lang's support crew were pretty fun when they were given something to do, though I expect we'll hear something about the racial make-up of that group and lack of diversity in the rest of the cast. And I really enjoyed the mid-film cameo - their appearance has been extensively spoiled, even despite my best efforts, but it turned out to be much more substantial appearance than I thought it would be, and a nice chance to expand that character's importance in the MCU. The biggest let-down was the villain who seemed to have a very derivative storyline - basically take Obidiah Stane from Iron Man, remove his charisma and you've got Darren Cross. Heroes are defined by their villains and sadly Ant-Man doesn't have a very strong villain to play off here.

Effects-wise, flawless as you'd expect. The visuals of the miniaturised world were impressive and quite hypnotic in the rather trippy section at the end. Size-changing combat was well represented but really wasn't groundbreakingly innovative like we've seen with some of the X-Men teleportation combat. That said, any film where Thomas the Tank Engine caused substantial property damage has some major plus points.

The music was inoffensive and did it's job, but don't expect to be humming an Ant-Man theme as you come out of the theatre.

Overall, it felt more like a Phase 1 Marvel movie than what we've come to expect for Phase 2. It's not a bad film at all, but you can't go in expecting Captain America: The Winter Soldier or Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm interested to see it again and see how it works on repeat viewing, but more than anything I'm interested in seeing the character reappear in the wider MCU.

TFNZ Moderator

Postby Muleac » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:17 pm

Man sledgehammer that's exactly what I tried to convey in my few sentences.

Good review bro.a lot of the same thoughts I had and you've convinced me off a few as well.

Faction Leader

Postby Stik » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:44 pm

To me, it certainly felt like the most "comic booky" of the comic book movies (particularly the marvel films) in that it was a big, grown up version of the cartoons we watched as kids:

Hero is a good guy who makes bad choices
Has a mentor with a mysterious past
Learns to use his new powers and grows into his role
Fights a villian who is doing bad things for TEH EVULZ

Certainly felt like it had a lot more heart than, say Age of Ultron - I liked the fact that while the stakes were "gotta save the world", all the actual danger was at a personal level, as opposed to (for example) a giant alien army invading from a hole in the sky (can I just point out that Iron Man wore a Black Sabbath T-shirt the whole film and we never got to hear that joke?).

Also did a surprising amount of worldbuilding in terms of the history of the MCU - the intro and the flashback sequence (you know the one) showed that there's been a lot more going on since "Stark build his cute tech"

Also, the best part of the film is easily Michael Douglas - again, the escape sequence at the end was both hilarious and a "thats just brilliant" moment.

I actually think its my favourite of the Marvel films - I think it was better than Guardians, but I prefer character-driven stuff and I think Ant-man beats GOTG in that regard.

a
Is the cat in the hat, or is the hat simply on the cat?

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Zippo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:04 pm

Saw it, liked it

Forgot to stay for any end credit sequences .. whoops

Return to Pop Culture Fandom