Jurassic World

In a forum far far away, discuss other popular brands such as Marvel Legends, Star Wars, Batman, X-men and all their related media.

Moderator: Moderators

Headmaster City

Jurassic World

Postby green dragoon » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:48 am

Jurassic World - Official Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFinNxS5KN4

looks pretty cool.

i hope its an improvement on JP3 which was good but still a little weak.
The Surprising Adventures of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

A Tomahawk of Honesty in the Skull of Lies

Autobot Commander

Re: Jurassic World

Postby Mr.Deflok » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:53 am

I thought JP3 was a huge disappointment.

Watching this trailer I couldn't help but feel the ideas were all ridiculous and silly but thinking about it more it makes sense that they would train the dino's as they do animals in a zoo.

The idea that there is a villain in the form of a genetically modified dino doesn't sit well with me though. Hopefully they execute the idea well.

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:57 pm

Kinda looking forward to this

Gestalt

Postby [omega] » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:31 pm

Yup me too :D
I'm a fan of the Jurassic Park movies and happy there making another.
just hope it doesn't turn into a Godzilla version type movie.

Godzilla rules :D :D

Autobot Commander

Postby buyaball » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:37 pm

i don't know how i feel about it

going from bringing back dinosaurs from millions of years ago to genetically producing a new species kinda takes it away from what it was...also 3 past films don't you think they should have learnt their lessons now and keep that island shut.

don't click this link...

If you watch Titanic backwards, It is a heart warming tale of a ship which jumps out of the water & saves lots of drowning people.

Gestalt

Postby Sledgehama » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:38 pm

I'm very excited by this - really looks like a return to form for me rather than the "let's figure out another reason to have to go back to Islna Sorna" that we had with III. I personally think it makes total sense that someone would go ahead and re-establish the park - like th emovie franchise itself, there'd just be too much money to be made to leave it alone!

There's also the strong potential for the 'genetically modified mash-up dinosaur' to be a great metatextual comment on the film itself - the studio just can't leave the franchise alone so they have to add something new to the mix to keep people's interest and it all goes horribly wrong... If I'm right, expect to see the T-Rex take out this new bad dino to show that the good old ways are the best :)

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:45 pm

when i heard the tittle i kinda hoped that the dinosuars had got lose from the island and where makeing there way around the world and causeing all shorts of chaos

Headmaster City

Postby green dragoon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:38 pm

Jurassic World - Trailer #2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvR0UaEKjp0

cant wait for this film and the toys of course.
The Surprising Adventures of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

A Tomahawk of Honesty in the Skull of Lies

Heroic Autobot

Postby Nero » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:48 am

Man Jurassic Parks and Recreation is looking good, I do quite enjoy his style of acting and pulling off of jokes. The nostalgia will pull so many people in, me included :D
Soundwave superior. Autobots inferior

Heroic Autobot

Postby Nero » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:21 am

Went and saw it last night, good watch I really enjoyed it.

BUT all I could think about for half the movie was why domwe not have dinobots based on these dinosaurs, like a raptor dinobot. Now thatd be cool

Heroic Autobot

Postby soak314 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:24 pm

Pretty solid, if predictable. I'd say a 6.5 out of 10. Better than the last two, but tries a bit too hard to cash in on nostalgia.

They went a little bit too heavy on the CG, made the raptors in particular look quite a bit more cartoonish than what we're used to. The bigger dinos don't suffer from it as much, but certain ones get this strange *emotion* to their faces in some scenes that honestly shouldn't be there.

It feels proper B movie in a few places, which sort of adds to the charm. This sense of self-awareness bordering on satire never quite goes away, with jabs made at how the dinosaurs don't look like what they're *supposed* to look like because it doesn't sell.

My mom and sister were complaining an lot about how the women were handled, which is something I attribute to having a mostly male led creative team.

I don't think it's horrible but it also won't be something that's going to be making too much waves in the long term.

Autobot Commander

Postby mr_sooty » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:20 am

*SPOILER ALERT*

I really enjoyed it, much better than I thought it would be. My only issue was the end....so the big scary one is gone, but now you have this T Rex free too, and nobody's concerned about that? Wasn't he kinda the problem in the first movie? Are we to believe that rex doesn't hurt the humans because the raptors politely asked him not to? Surely a loose T. rex is just as bad as a loose genetically altered T. rex.

Heroic Autobot

Postby Nero » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:27 am

mr_sooty wrote:*SPOILER ALERT*

I really enjoyed it, much better than I thought it would be. My only issue was the end....so the big scary one is gone, but now you have this T Rex free too, and nobody's concerned about that? Wasn't he kinda the problem in the first movie? Are we to believe that rex doesn't hurt the humans because the raptors politely asked him not to? Surely a loose T. rex is just as bad as a loose genetically altered T. rex.

The island had been pretty much cleared, apart from them though so yeh just let him go for it

Autobot Commander

Postby mr_sooty » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:48 pm

I sort of mean more why were the 2 kids and Chris Pratt and the chick not eaten by Trex?

Gestalt

Postby Sledgehama » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Saw it on the weekend and thought it was okay - good effects but not as satisfying as I wanted it to be given the pedigree of the creative team and onscreen cast.

***SPOILERS***

Plotwise, I kinda figured from the word go that this genetically engineered super dinosaur would be a jab at the blockbuster industry itself anyway and that turned out to be correct, right down to what I figured the endgame would be. It took a really long time to get going and into anything interesting I felt - so much build up with the kids storyline, then the park administration, before getting to the Raptor training. It felt not so much of a slow burn as a wheel taking ages to start turning. Comparing that to the other instalments that knew to give a brief burst of dino action up front to keep us going until we got to the main section of the film, the film just starts slow.

While some aspects were clearly the remnants of previous versions of the script (we'd been warned of militarised Raptors for years now, though thankfully these ones weren't cyberneticaly enhanced or talking like some drafts had suggested) I really had no problem with training the Raptors but did think that the whole "let's weaponise dinosaurs for the military" aspect was very poorly tacked on and that subplot hasn't worked since Aliens. I agree that the female characters didn't get a good turn (why oh why was Bryce Dallas Howard wearing those ridiculous heels right the way through the film?), but really none of the characters get much in the way of development, so the ladies aren't alone there. Chris Pratt's character didn't get much chance to lay in his usual charm and his background of having been in the navy seemed utterly irrelevant - why not just have him be an animal trainer that had been brought in to see if they could be trained? The two generic kids didn't help (was the younger one supposed to be borderline autistic/Aspergers or jut really annoying?) and I felt were a step backwards from the kids in the original film despite being quite a rerun of them (parents getting a divorce, sent to the park to be with a relative, though the grandfatherly relationship in Jurassic Park is much stronger than the aunt/nephews in this). There was also a lack of identifiable 'victims' - compare JP's Mr Arno, Dennis Nedry, Robert Muldoon and 'the blood sucking lawyer' Gennaro, along with a decent injury to Ian Malcolm, vs. the evil military guy played by Vincent d'Nofrio (sp), the English assistant girl, the owner. The heroes never really feel much in danger.

The Indominus Rex was an interesting idea but ultimately does little to distinguish itself from the Spinosaur from III as being the new Big Bad and it's genetically engineered abilities seem to be used once then forgotten. The dinosaurs were still excellently done, though there were a couple of shots of that blue helicopter that looked completely like a toy - I'm sure they'll have turned out to be the real thing :)

Overall, I felt it lacked enough of the charm and humour that the original (and even The Lost World) had, replaced by a more generic monster movie feel that took itself possibly a bit too seriously for it's own good. I wanted this to be great, but I only got good. Mildly recommended, don't bother with the 3D presentation.

Next

Return to Pop Culture Fandom