Avengers: Age Of Ultron trailer

In a forum far far away, discuss other popular brands such as Marvel Legends, Star Wars, Batman, X-men and all their related media.

Moderator: Moderators

Gestalt

Avengers: Age Of Ultron trailer

Postby RotorstormNP » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:51 pm

Hey all,

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/fi ... ler-leaked

Wow. Just, wow.

Wow.

I can't wait for May.
Cheers, Zac in Whanganui

Pretender

Re: Avengers: Age Of Ultron trailer

Postby MAULER666 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:14 pm

Oosh looks sweetbix. Ultron always reminds me of ROM who was mad cool. Cant wait for it.
My list of gimmees:
G1 Vortex
G2 Snarl
G1 Fireflight

Faction Leader

Postby [omega] » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:36 pm

Now that's the shiznit :D
a must see.......damn it looks bad ass :D

Pretender

Postby MAULER666 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:41 pm

[omega] wrote:Now that's the shiznit :D

Fo sho man, but not as bad ass as that Dredd sig of yours haha!
My list of gimmees:
G1 Vortex
G2 Snarl
G1 Fireflight

Faction Leader

Postby [omega] » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:58 pm

MAULER666 wrote:
[omega] wrote:Now that's the shiznit :D

Fo sho man, but not as bad ass as that Dredd sig of yours haha!

Hahahaha you have been judged :D :D

Gestalt

Postby RotorstormNP » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:51 am

Watched it again with my fiancee last night. She's glad I can't do a James Spader voice (I love doing impressions) because she thought Ultron was creepy as f***! I showed her a high-res shot of him from the trailer afterward and she was not impressed(scared).

One of the guys on the TFW2005 posted this as their reaction to the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acYDNlMYAaI I'm inclined to agree.
Cheers, Zac in Whanganui

Gestalt

Postby Sledgehama » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:02 pm

Absolutely awesome - plenty of real teases and hints, and a wonderfully chilling Ultron performance. Really looking forward to seeing how this caps Phase 2 and sets up where Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe goes.

TFNZ Administrator

Postby jiptravolta » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:40 pm

Hulkbuster. Sold. And I hated the first film

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:53 pm

Im soooooo loooking forward this

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Starscream NZ » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:34 pm

Saw the trailer ahead of Interstellar, and it just gets better when it's on the big screen. Cannot. Wait.

Gestalt

Postby Sledgehama » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:02 pm

Saw the film last night and I have to say that it was a good film, but not a great one. The biggest problem is the comparison to the rest of the Marvel canon - the first movie was amazing and the Phase 2 films have been doing a really great job of ratcheting up the quality (with the possible exception of Thor The Dark World) and while the dialogue is crackling as always, the decision to focus a bit more on those characters without their own standalone films, while sensible, lacks the excellently balanced punch we got in the first film.

The performances are all top notch - we know what to expect from the returning cast and they really deliver, especially Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans. James Spader's Ultron is wonderfully insane and the take on the character is a nice change from the Terminator-y generic robot villain. It's a sparkling performance that stands toe-to-toe with any motion capture character short of Gollum or Caesar. Speaking of which, Andy Sirkis' brief role as Ulysses Klaw was a lot of fun so hopefully he does indeed return and get expanded on in the Black Panther film - it's just nice to see how much he throws himself into the role and it's good to see him outside the mo-cap pyjamas. Paul Bettany's jump from voiceover to onscreen talent is effective - his Vision is substantially different from JARVIS and brings a very different tone to the film - ethereal, wise and poetic. There are strong shades of Watchmen's Dr Manhatten and his introduction fairly late in the piece does signal a shift away from the more grounded characters into something a bit more grandiose and 'comic book-y', but the best singly scene in the film is undoubtedly his as the cheers in our audience evidenced. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are competent additions - Aaron Taylor-Johnson will invariably be compared to Evan Peters from X-Men Days of Future Past and I have to say I do prefer the X-Men version myself. Elizabeth Olsen's Scarlet Witch suffers probably more from a vagueness of what her power actually is in this incarnation, and that vagueness permeates her character too. They're both given a good motivation to do what they do, but ultimately fall a little flat in that they're not truly bad enough as bad guys early on to give the redemptive arc they g through any real heft or lay any real concern on their loyalties.

The best parts of the film are definitely when the characters get to be themselves - the party scene is even funnier than it seemed in the clip released quite a while ago, and Thor gets some truly great comedic moments that make me like Chris Hemsworth more and more. Things flatten out a bit though when we focus on the 'connective tissue' of the MCU, setting things up for further films. The rather abrupt scenes setting up the move toward the Infinity War is the key example of this, but there's some nice peppering of cameos that work like the MCU is supposed to. Ultimately, it feels a bit like this suffers from Iron Man 2-itis - the need to hit certain beats for further world building prevent some strong focus on the story at hand and some impressive character set-ups just don't get to play out to their conclusion in favour of a big smash battle. Ultron's final plan seems to be poorly expounded on and earlier elements such as the Iron Legion or exactly what the Avengers have been doing or how their set up works is barely touched on after their introduction. I'm sure other films and the TV series will pick up on exactly what the return of Nick Fury means and the new status quo at the end of the film, so I didn't feel cheated at the end, but some of the rationale and effect of the status quo at the start of the film would have been nice.

Overall, it's a good solid quality film that won't leave people feeling unsatisfied - it's just that they set the bar so high for themselves in the first place, and I don't feel that this movie hits those heights, let alone surpasses them. It's no Empire Strikes Back, but it's a lot better than Amazing Spider-Man 2. I'd rank it around the same level as Thor The Dark World or Iron Man 2 in terms of overall quality.

Headmaster City

Postby loismustdye » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:13 pm

Shouldnt there be a spoiler alert tag added to the title if its going to be reviewed in the thread?
No biggie but there is probably some points in the above post that alludes to parts of the movie (i didnt read it for this reason).

(A)
no sig as photobucket nerfed it all
# of TF's: I don't have the patience to count them all
# of GIJoe: I've lost count

Gestalt

Postby Sledgehama » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:17 pm

No spoilers in my review by my read of it - I purposefully stayed away from discussing any of those sorts of aspects. No offense taken if someone does want to change the thread though or if I need to put some sort of warning in place before a post.

Headmaster City

Postby loismustdye » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:51 pm

Fair enough, i just didnt wanna tempt fate and read it so didnt know the content (i would put a "lol" at the end but it always feels wrong). :-)
no sig as photobucket nerfed it all
# of TF's: I don't have the patience to count them all
# of GIJoe: I've lost count

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:47 pm

I loved every bit of it lol well worth seeing

Next

Return to Pop Culture Fandom