Guardians of The Galaxy

In a forum far far away, discuss other popular brands such as Marvel Legends, Star Wars, Batman, X-men and all their related media.

Moderator: Moderators

Headmaster City

Guardians of The Galaxy

Postby Old_Timer » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:49 pm

This one came out of the blue for me. Anybody else know about this? It looks like a lot of fun!

Guardians of the Galaxy
Durka Durka Durka!! Mohammed Jihad!!!!

No.of TF's in collection:32 (just a beginner)
Fave quote: You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without falling over.

Autobot Commander

Re: Guardians of The Galaxy

Postby Mr.Deflok » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:41 pm

Definitely one I'm keen to see as it sounds like a massive setup for phase 3 of the Marvel Film Universe which I'm guessing will culminate in the Avengers vs Thanos.

Doesn't hurt that I get a Firefly vibe from the trailer.

It is kinda weird for me though as this is the first comic book movie I'll be watching where I've never read the comic. I'll be going in as a noob.

Heroic Autobot

Postby soak314 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:08 am

*clears throat*

Ooga chaka.

Stoked beyond words. The best Mahvel trailer I've seen, bar none.

Headmaster City

Postby Old_Timer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:14 pm

I"m excited about it... but often when there is cheap humour in trailers I get the feeling it's not going to be a great film. Things like "What a bunch of A-holes" throughout a film seem to be placed there to try and make a film more enjoyable... but usually it just detracts from what is otherwise rather dull. Kind of not necessary... I'm hoping this film will be awesome though... and the rest of the trailer makes it look like it will be awesome. I just have that horrible cheap humour feeling.
Durka Durka Durka!! Mohammed Jihad!!!!

No.of TF's in collection:32 (just a beginner)
Fave quote: You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without falling over.

Faction Leader

Postby Oldschool78 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:19 pm

Rocket, lol.
He reminds me of that star fox character.

Headmaster City

Postby green dragoon » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:32 pm

For anyone else thinking about collection GOTG toys, NZ will be getting an assortment of the line they are a Farmers exclusive. not sure when they will come out probably closer to film release date.
The Surprising Adventures of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

A Tomahawk of Honesty in the Skull of Lies

Faction Leader

Postby Meangreen » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:41 am

green dragoon wrote:For anyone else thinking about collection GOTG toys, NZ will be getting an assortment of the line they are a Farmers exclusive. not sure when they will come out probably closer to film release date.

Ooooh, the 6 inch scale line? or the two inch scale two packs? If the former I will be quite happy. Thanks for the heads up.

Headmaster City

Postby green dragoon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:03 pm

They didnt say, but i suspect it will just be the normal figures.
The Surprising Adventures of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

A Tomahawk of Honesty in the Skull of Lies

Heroic Autobot

Postby soak314 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:27 pm

Fan-fukken-tastic. Everything I could want in an introduction to Cosmic barring the heralds.

I think it manages to beat out Avengers simply because they're using unestablished no-names in a major, MAJOR theatrical release.

I"m excited about it... but often when there is cheap humour in trailers I get the feeling it's not going to be a great film.

I'm terribly sorry, but cheap humor is Marvel's bread and butter. Cosmic in particular tends to be grossly irreverent. The Guardians are a bunch of punks and for 99% of the movie they WILL act silly and juvenile. It's what sets Marvel apart from DC, and for the most part what makes their movieverse so much more endearing.

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Zippo » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:52 pm

Did this have an advanced preview weekend at select cinemas or something?

Gestalt

Postby Sledgehama » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:12 pm

Zippo wrote:Did this have an advanced preview weekend at select cinemas or something?

Yeah. It opened over the weekend in the USA but for a change instead of having a worldwide release, NZ's is a week later but some theatres had 'advance screenings' on Fri-Sat-Sun.

Saw it last night with the missus and it was a lot of fun. I don't think there's any 'cheap' humour, I think it's all character-based and fits perfectly well with who the characters are and how they interact. For a film that can't be as 'grounded' as the rest of the Marvel movies have tried to be due to it's premise, the humour does a great job of making the film gel and be relatable. Still has the outer space action and a bunch of weird characters, but it's not done so in a ridiculous comedy fashion ala The Mask or the 60's Batman.

I liked it a lot and it really sets Chris Pratt up as a major star. Everyone is well cast (my wife can't stand Vin Diesel but loved his performance as Groot), the effects are great and there are some nice links to the Marvel Cinematic universe in ways that don't seem forced or unnatural. I don't feel it was as good as Avengers, Iron Man 3 or Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but it's a damn good fun time and gives us back the 'space adventure' film that we really haven't seen much of since the 80's. Highly recommended and it'll be really interesting to see where the sequel goes, especially in terms of cross-pollination with the rest of the MCU.

Faction Leader

Postby Meangreen » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:30 pm

It's a beaut. I can't really add much more that hasn't already been said.

Pretender

Postby MAULER666 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:03 pm

I didnt like the trailer with its corny humour but with time to kill I decided to go see it anyway...glad I did, it's a good movie :)
My list of gimmees:
G1 Vortex
G2 Snarl
G1 Fireflight

TFNZ Moderator

Postby Muleac » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:33 pm

Saw this in the weekend with the kids. I really good movie to watch with them. Both the boy and the girl enjoyed.

I enjoyed the humour in it, the action, and can see how it ties in with The Avengers at least.

Each character was given enough back story to become attached to them and I'm interested to find out more about Pratts character.

ooh I want one of those ravage spaceships as a toy made exactly like in the movie.

Faction Leader

Postby Monkey222 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:35 pm

Just got back from this. Absolutely amazing. Loved every minute of it. Especially Groot's massively brutal moment.

Also, the easter egg at the end was rather unexpected.
WANTED: ROTF Lockdown, Classics Grimlock Missile, ROTF Stratosphere.

View my Trade Me listings: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=2437745

Collection count is in! The grand total is 466 transformers!-20/06/2014

Next

Return to Pop Culture Fandom