*SPOILERS* IDW Comics Discussion *SPOILERS*

Whether it be the original Marvel comics or a debate on Pat Lee's drawings of Optimus Prime, discuss all Transformers comics here - Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and everything in-between.

Moderator: Moderators

Heroic Autobot

*SPOILERS* IDW Comics Discussion *SPOILERS*

Postby Nero » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:25 pm

SPOILERS AHEAD, DONT CONTINUE IF NOT UP TO DATE WITH IDW COMICS

SERIOUSLYS, WE WILL DISCUSS LOTS OF SPOILERYIFIC GOODNESS

OK WERE STARTING NOW

First order of business, wow Grimlock being a Decepticon somewhere in the past, Wouldnt have guessed but it makes sense with the DJD having him on their list and a few other hints that I personally brushed off.

Im looking forward to seeing where they go with it.

Whats your theories and thoughts on it?

Stik you had a thought on what may have happened to Ol' Grimlock
Soundwave superior. Autobots inferior

Headmaster City

Re: *SPOILERS* IDW Comics Discussion *SPOILERS*

Postby Spike » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:34 pm

I'm still reeling from Cyclonus, and tailgate ascending to super saiyan
Spike's want list
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12376

Heroic Autobot

Postby Nero » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:37 pm

Spike wrote:I'm still reeling from Cyclonus, and tailgate ascending to super saiyan

OMG YES! That shocked me, it kind of came out of nowhere. Not much lost light for awhile and then BOOM major character death, Im thinking and semi hoping that his death may lead into him possibly being resurected as Combiner Wars toy version as evil and combiner capable.

Theres also been more Brawl popping in and the crew that invaded Arcees ship had a few of what looked like other combaticons so we may be seeing Bruticus soon.

Im still getting used to Megatron swapping sides!!! Was the reason I started reading them and that has to be the most impressive and well written twists Ive seen for a long time, and Ive been loving seeing his side of things and seeing him grow and understand the impact he had more and more. Like the planet with the blue flower for each bot youve killed under your statue. Wow! The sea of flowers and Megatrons look wow that got me

Headmaster City

Postby Spike » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:26 pm

I actually don't need Cyclones to be a villain. I like the character he has been portrayed as in MTMTE. His relationship with Tailgate is cool.I don't see why every relationship on there needs to be romantic though. I felt the Getaway part was forced in, since when had he even spoken with Tailgate? I want more Skids in the mix.
Spike's want list

Evil Decepticon

Postby Astellan11 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:27 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE the scene and artwork of Cyclonus busting into Megatrons bedroom.

Fairly sure Tailgates got an outlyer ability when he panics (his eyes) so maybe that does something to Cyclonus?
Wanted:
Mint "Euro g1" / g2 anything
aka Turbomasters, Predators, Obliterators, Axelerators, Skyscorchers, Aquaspeeders, Stormtroopers, Lightformers

Heroic Autobot

Postby Nero » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:38 pm

Astellan11 wrote:LOVE LOVE LOVE the scene and artwork of Cyclonus busting into Megatrons bedroom.

Fairly sure Tailgates got an outlyer ability when he panics (his eyes) so maybe that does something to Cyclonus?

Hmmmm very interesting thought, may also be activated because of cyclonus' do the sword spark kick start and that whole connection there

Really do like the way they are developing everyone post-war, everyones kinda meeting in the middle. Cons seeming more good than we thought, while bots are becoming more ethically grey than their all for justice attitude. Particularly with the two mains, Optimus and Megatron. So much development, Optimus doubting everything hes ever done questioning his intentions and Megatron show a softer side and even regret for his deeds

TFNZ Princess

Postby Mr_Ash » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:03 pm

Love is when someone stabbs Megatron through the chest, then ripsa giant monitor off it's supports and smashes it on Megatron's head, because he started crushing yours.
"..you get more classy every time."
"..you are a gentleman and a scholar."

Faction Leader

Postby Stik » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:38 pm

lol

iN REGARDS TO GRIMLOCK FROM mtmte:

Right, So theory is that Grimlock is the predecessor to the "Roboid" toys.

Reasons:

The roboids are beastformers who were lobotomized in order to make toys respond to "torture"

Grimlock is a beastformer. Ergo, a candidate for the program.

Rather than being a candidate, Grimlock is a prototype.

Reasoning: When Overlord took over Garrus 9, he would do whatever new and inventive way offered to torture the inmates (bots or cons)
Why? Because Overlord is the closest thing that IDW has to a moustache-twirling Saturday Morning Cartoon villian, willing to torture, maim or kill entirely for that fact that it fits his definition of "fun" (Overlord, as you may recall, is the Giant shape-shifiting robot definition of bastard)

Overlord allowed Grimlock, the definitive loose-cannon/general toughbot of the Autobots to be tortured and lobotomized, purely because this was a new form of torture to him. (Grimlock was stripped of his intelligence, Overlord suspected that as a prototype Griomlock would gradually gain intelligence due to the imperfections in the conversion process, but considers the idea of a big, tough bot brought down to nothing and left with the memories of helplessness to be a form of lasting torture, similar to what he did to Fort Max)

Overlord allowed Grimlock to be taken away from Garrus 9 - he had become to stupid to do much more than suffer and rage, and Overlord thoroughly enjoyed the idea of a bot suffering through choice (as Kickoff's fate reveals) rather than through a lack of control. The illusion of control was removed from Grimlock, therefore Overlord had no use for him.

Grimlock is the predecessor to the Roboid critters before the process was perfected (Grimlock still follows the rules of Rossum's Trinity) and his intelligence is gradually creeping to the surface in moments of clarity; however while he is capable of identifying friend or foe, he is only able to do so in terms of who is willing to help him vs who is willing to hurt him, instead of any moralistic imperative.

As a result, his attachment to Misfire is based entirely on the fact that Misfire is aiding Grimlock, as opposed to Fort Max clearly willing to take him into the unknown.
Is the cat in the hat, or is the hat simply on the cat?

Heroic Autobot

Postby Nero » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:24 am

Hmmm mice thought, I wouldnt put it past Overlord.

Most of my thinking at the moment is how can we get more of the combiners into active duty, or at least trying to find threads.

With Grimlock starting to gain intelligence again in the latest scavengers issue all I could think of was 'Grimlocks new brain' from the G1 cartoons. As in will he keep growing smarter up until the point of being able to create them with the impending combiner fight round 2 (50th issue comics have Victorion and Suoerion behind O.Prime) or do the scavengers find/build something to help him out and boom huge IQ and the technobots or as the toys have shown possibly Betatron.

Hasbro keeps talking about unifying all media so Im just looking for any threads I can.

Ohhhhhhh and at the end of that same scavengers issue with fort max and such, there were those weird organic roboty things in tubes that they didnt want to move, they being some mysterious new peeps that I didnt recognise. BUT definitely could be Titans return stuff with the headmasters usually being organics or in this case may be a hybrid from the start

Headmaster City

Postby Spike » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:00 am

I just don't get Fort Max. Other than head sculpt, he bears little to no relation to the existing character to me.

I rate MTMTE for the B-listers. In many ways they have surpassed the A-listers and I find their lives more interesting than whatever is happening with Prowl etc.

I dislike how they have made Prowl so insane, he feels like they have no Deceptions making trouble anymore so they'll use Prowl. His incorporation and relationship with the Constructions was very interesting though.

Starscream is a bit annoying. Totally enjoy Windblade. But the real stars are definitely the B-team.

Dinobots were the fav as a kid but I'm not excited by them in the comic line. I'd love if they found a way to resurrect Rotorstorm from LSOTW. He was great.
Spike's want list

Heroic Autobot

Postby Nero » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:15 pm

I enjoyed the Prowl development up until post devastator and then they just kept pushing the crazy button, up until then he was more calculated and planned. A bit paranoid but with reason.

They may revive Rotorstorm, cause Springer came back in Sins of the Wreckers even though he didnt really die just wasnt looking good. Thats gonna be a good arc to keep an eye on, dont care about finding prowl just seeing what happens.

Oh yeh the B listers are great, i think its just cause theyve never been developed so there isnt anything IDW has to undo to make them interesting its just all development like no bodies business.

Starscream still intrigues me with the whole talking to Bumblebee thing, hes always been annoying just never successful at usurping any power.

I always like the Scavengers and DJD issues. I like seeing whos in the DJDs list and what theyre up to, they should be coming back soon with Deathsaurus to attack the Lost Light will be fun reading. Im thinking that may be issue 50 MTMTE as the blurbs mention something about Megatron regretting stuff and it being called something like dying of the light.

The scavengers are just more hijinks most of the time which is still fun and serious enough to not be slapstick. Plus the backstories are interesting.

Would love to see more pre war stuff or pre earth involvement war stuff

Evil Decepticon

Postby Astellan11 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:30 pm

Nero wrote:Most of my thinking at the moment is how can we get more of the combiners into active duty, or at least trying to find threads.

With Grimlock starting to gain intelligence again in the latest scavengers issue all I could think of was 'Grimlocks new brain' from the G1 cartoons. As in will he keep growing smarter up until the point of being able to create them with the impending combiner fight round 2 (50th issue comics have Victorion and Suoerion behind O.Prime) or do the scavengers find/build something to help him out and boom huge IQ and the technobots or as the toys have shown possibly Betatron.

MTMTE has surpassed the IDW routine of introducing characters solely to sell toys. I dont any combiners are coming to MTMTE.

They didn't add anyone to the cast for Dark Cybertron and the crew deliberately didn't take part in combiner wars, I assume titan wars will be the same.

(Other than putting protectobots onto the Lost Light after Dark Cybertron with the sole intent of sending them off to combiner wars later on)

Pretty much everything in the story is there for a reason. Only marketing thing I can think of is changing brainstorms design in season 2 to resemble the new toy slightly more?

Obviously Hasbro aren't stupid and they've made MTMTE toys (Swerve, Tailgate, Skids, Minimus Ambus).. but they've only come after MTMTEs success.

EDIT: Just remembered there's that random panel in #46 of Red Alert talking about Cerebros (who didnt exist in IDW as far as we knew) Guess Fort Max is gonna star in a Titan wars event.
Wanted:
aka Turbomasters, Predators, Obliterators, Axelerators, Skyscorchers, Aquaspeeders, Stormtroopers, Lightformers

Heroic Autobot

Postby Nero » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:04 am

The characters arent stuck to those comic lines though so some from MTMTE may swap into the standard line, like you said with the protectobots.

But yeh fort max is going to be a toy in titans return so hes likely to get swapped over.

No disputes I just like playing detective to find hints at how they might lead into the next parts, even if Im way off the mark its still makes reading a bit more fun. With the ohhhh is that a possible link to that hmmmm, kinda monologue running through my noggin on the way.

I also really like combiners, the toys and the characters.

MOAR COMBINERS!! :pray:

Evil Decepticon

Postby Astellan11 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:46 pm

Well Nosecone, Afterburner and Lightspeed all died on Kimia but that hasn't stopped IDW or Hasbro yet so there's always options for Computron.
Strafe was part of the team who shot Cyclonus and I think Scattershot was last seen on Cybertron?

Predacons have only made like 2 IDW appearances so far and they're all alive as far as i know.. so Predakings an option.
Seacons were locked up in The Lost Lights brig for ages but were set free to gate-crash Megatrons trial.. so Piranacons an option.
Terrorcons still lurking about on Cyberton as a team so Abominus is likely.
As for the Victory guys.. who knows. Liokasier and Raiden team members havent had any appearances afaik!
Wanted:

Heroic Autobot

Postby Nero » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:23 pm

So many knowledges, you sir know your stuff.

Thank you for sharing, its appreciated :D

Its exciting times in the comics, still think itll be hard to top Dark Cybertron anytime soon

Next

Return to Transformers Comics Discussion