The 'I love MTMTE' thread

Whether it be the original Marvel comics or a debate on Pat Lee's drawings of Optimus Prime, discuss all Transformers comics here - Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and everything in-between.

Moderator: Moderators

Autobot Commander

Re: The 'I love MTMTE' thread

Postby Mr.Deflok » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:17 pm

Wow thanks for that! Will definitely help. A bit daunting though.

Faction Leader

Postby Stik » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:14 pm

If you start with death of optimus prime, also worth picking up last stand of the wreckers. Tfwiki can fill you in on any backstory etc after you read the issues, so you don't miss out on anything!
Is the cat in the hat, or is the hat simply on the cat?

Evil Decepticon

Postby Astellan11 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:28 pm

Think he's already got LSOTW as per his 1st post in this thread.
Wanted:
Mint "Euro g1" / g2 anything
aka Turbomasters, Predators, Obliterators, Axelerators, Skyscorchers, Aquaspeeders, Stormtroopers, Lightformers

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Starscream NZ » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:34 pm

I was reading the series in the post AHM days, but to be honest I only gave them a half-read as Costa's run on the series was pretty dismal, and you're really not missing much.

Might be worth starting at Chaos Theory (after you've done LSOTW), then get The Death of Optimus Prime, and then start both RiD and MTMTE. Don't let the universal praise of MTMTE put you off RiD. It's also very well written.

Think of MTMTE as a giant adventure in space, while RiD is a more grounded, political drama. Both are great, and if MTMTE wasn't around, people would be a lot more vocal in their praise of RiD.

Faction Leader

Postby Stik » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:36 pm

Issue 22and 23 (right before chaos theory) are pretty gud flashback issues - well worth looking into if you enjoy mtmte shadowplay arc
Is the cat in the hat, or is the hat simply on the cat?

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Zippo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:30 am

So on hearing that MTMTE #1 and RID #1 were free via Comixology I downloaded and read them before my second screening of AOE
Now I am trying to decide how far back in time I go - all the way back to the start of the IDW Comics (some I have via paper copies) or just follow the guide for MTMTE and RID readings

Of course I don't want to spend too much, however PDF scans via 'methods' are very poor way to read comics.

Evil Decepticon

Postby Astellan11 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:03 pm

This thread deserves a bump!

Here's a mid season 1 crew line-up with some minor/major spoilers if you read into it

Wanted:
aka Turbomasters, Predators, Obliterators, Axelerators, Skyscorchers, Aquaspeeders, Stormtroopers, Lightformers

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:13 pm

I need to reread LSOTW. So sure Fort Max got ripped in half and died.

Evil Decepticon

Postby Astellan11 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:08 pm

Mr.Deflok wrote:I need to reread LSOTW. So sure Fort Max got ripped in half and died.

At the end of LSOTW he's found alive, being totured/used to try break into the vault beneath the prison.

They discover him in a medical facility in a coma in a MTMTE episode.
After that he basically has post-traumatic stress disorder and things happen on board the lost light :)
Wanted:

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Starscream NZ » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:46 pm

Mr.Deflok wrote:I need to reread LSOTW. So sure Fort Max got ripped in half and died.

Beaten and tortured to within an inch of his life, but the big guy managed to pull through, somewhat unscathed but suffering a massive bout of PTSD.

On the subject of MTMTE, this most recent arc has been devastating on the ol' emotions, for both good and bad! Season 2 is starting off so strongly. Loving the interaction of Ravage and Megatron.

Evil Decepticon

Postby Astellan11 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:42 pm

How about that cliffhanger in #33??

Hoooly moly!!!

Also very happy with the little "start of the series story arc" and how it played out.
Wanted:

Evil Decepticon

Postby GuanYu79 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:15 pm

So I started reading all the IDW stuff when they first started Infiltration, etc. Enjoyed that and then the spotlights started coming with all the other stuff (all hail, transformers) and found the series meh for a better word so stopped reading. My questions are 1) if i read just MTMTE is that fine meaning I don't need to get other comics to understand what is happening currently 2)Is it really that good? 3) is there a place I can find what transformers are currently dead.
So I looked on mighty ape and there is a guy selling Transformers: Volume 1: More Than Meets the Eye but under description it says DVD. Is that right or does he mean paperback?

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Starscream NZ » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:36 pm

There's no animated versions of the comic, so any DVD listing is probably in error.

1) Start from The Death of Optimus Prime and go from there, is the starting point of the current IDW incarnation (both RiD and MTMTE). Also read Last Stand of The Wreckers if you can.

2) Yes, it's that good.

3) Not that i'm aware of, and 'currently' depends on where you've read and would contain potential spoilers. Most of the core characters are currently active, if that helps.

Evil Decepticon

Postby Astellan11 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:44 pm

I think Trepan = shadowplayed Vos.
Anyone else thinking the same thing?

Also Kaon really pulled a number on old trailcutter :(
Wanted:

TFNZ Princess

Postby Mr_Ash » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:44 pm

Astellan11 wrote:I think Trepan = shadowplayed Vos.
Anyone else thinking the same thing?

Trepan was killed a long time ago by Megatron after being trying to to shadowplay Soundwave (MTMTE #14)
"..you get more classy every time."
"..you are a gentleman and a scholar."

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Comics Discussion