Rewatch Beast Wars: Season 1 Episode 1 ~ 2

Discuss the ever-changing and ever-popular Transformers cartoons - From Armada to Beast Wars to Zone, the 1986 movie to the upcoming 2007 Dreamworks movie. All talk of those Big 'Bots and 'Cons on the screen goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Decepticon Warlord

Rewatch Beast Wars: Season 1 Episode 1 ~ 2

Postby NKF » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:40 am

Welcome back to another round of Rewatch. With G1 over, we'll move onto Beast Wars. This week, the first two episodes that make up the series pilot and sets up the scenario for the next three seasons: Beast Wars, Parts 1 and 2.

For those new to this, this is basically a weekly workshop of sorts where a Transformers episode is announced for the week. Your task is to simply go and watch the episode, or set of episodes if it has several parts, such as this week's pilot episodes. Watch it, and go over it as many times as you want. Then come back here and if you have any thoughts or comments to make on the episode, post it here.

As usual, it's a chance or an excuse for us older fans to revisit a classic. And for those that are new to Transformers or don't know anything about them, a chance for them to see what's it all about. Overall to have fun or learn new things about the show.

What to talk about? Anything or nothing - it's up to you. Beast Wars may not have as many sloppy errors or inconsistencies as G1, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of points of interest. I like to take notes as I watch and post them here - but that's just me.

Yes, you can just skip all this and have a marathon run through the whole season if you want. But I've found that if you watch one story a week, you get more of a chance to reflect on it a bit more. You might even pick up some things you never noticed before.

Note, the new episode announcements are just the episode to watch for the current week. The older threads that have passed are left open for discussion that you can jump into at any time.

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Gestalt

Re: Rewatch Beast Wars: Season 1 Episode 1 ~ 2

Postby Dr Syn » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:44 pm

Yesssssss, I'm long overdue for a Beast Wars rewatch.

Headmaster City

Postby green dragoon » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:05 pm

agreed. blast i just lent my friend season one to break him from his G1 only policy :lol:
The Surprising Adventures of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

A Tomahawk of Honesty in the Skull of Lies

Faction Leader

Postby Stik » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:29 pm

Awesome, been waiting for an excuse to get into beast wars again
Is the cat in the hat, or is the hat simply on the cat?

Faction Leader

Postby Meangreen » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:45 am

Excitement!

Looking forward to watching them again even though I just went through the series last year.

Decepticon Warlord

Postby NKF » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:26 pm

Perhaps this would also be a good opportunity for folks who don't like Beast Wars for whatever reason to give it another chance.

- Megatron, had he not obtained extra armour plates courtesy of his beast mode, actually looks like he'd be quiet small. That's not an indication of his ability as a warrior though.

- The first episode spends a lot of time going through the process of each chracter introducing their names. Cheetor appears to name himself for the first time. What was he called before?

- Rattrap also names himself, but didn't Cheetor call him by his name just prior to the Axalon being shot down?

- Yes, this story involves time travel and whatnot.

- I'll bet this has been asked often before, but what was the significance of making Megatron purple? Any relation to a certain purple Dinosaur that did covers of various childrens songs and is often lampooned in fanfiction on the internet (and indirectly in some publications) as something far more sinister or is killed off in many horrible ways?

- The confrontation between Dinobot and Megatron ends when Scorpanok shoots Dinobot off into the distance. Scorpanok had gone outside at the start of the scene, but is inside when he appears behind Megatron.

- Waspinator's gun fires solid projectiles (sharp stingers), and you can clearly see that they've cleared the gun once they are fired. It looks like it should be a one-shot weapon like a crossbow, but Waspinator keeps firing it in rapid succession without having to reload.

- Verbal activation codes being shouted at the start of a transformation is a throwback to the Japanese TF series. I guess it does sounds more exciting to shout out transformation orders.

Part 2:

- Dinobot - I've often wondered about his name. Without connecting him to the Dinobot sub-grouping back in G1, it's almost as he he was destined to be a rather generic named TF toy in the BW line. Good thing he gets a great personality attached to him.

- As it was with G1, transformations in BW have some of their alt-mode parts morph into their robot shapes. Primal for example has his ape face flatten into his robot mode chest rather than flip around like the toy. Then again, most of the transformations are done so quickly that you don't take too much notice of these details.

- Optimus and Dinobot face off in a battle of the noses. Never took too much notice of noses on Transformers, but it has got me wondering about why Transformers need humanoid features on their faces in the first place.

- The Predacons destroy the bridge that Primal and Dinobot were fighting on, and it gradually collapses behind the Maximals as they flee across it. Physics are thrown out the window, or that was one sturdy bridge.

- The missiles that blow up the mountain - are they slow moving and long ranged?

- The way Rattrap acts as the oppositional character and has his clashes with Primal, who is struggling with his new role, plays out as though they've all only just met each other on that same day. How long have this crew have been working together on the exploration mission before being diverted to capture Megatron?

- The collision between the two sides at the mountain with the raw energon (this scene is used to end the intro) reminds me a lot of the intro for The Challenge of the Gobots. Not limited to that show though as many cartoons have had that as well.

- The maximals got away from the exploding mountain very-very quickly as they're back on the mountain path.

Now here's me having a bit of a pointless ramble. I appear to have become very picky since starting Rewatch G1. ;)

The 3d CGI in this show could easily wow a lot of people back when it was first aired - especially right after watching G1. By today's standards of 3d films, you can see that this was quite early in its infancy. The lighting for example, the shading on the figures and surfaces were fine (if perhaps a bit too strong), but none of the actors or some large props (like the Axalon) in the scenes appear to cast shadows onto the terrain. Water looks too bright in some shots and could've done with an opaque inverted reflection of the scene on water - which you see a lot in recent computer games. There is a bit of over-use of gloss, like Scorpanok's alt-mode and most of the metallic surfaces on the robot modes. Then there are the props in the scenes like grass, rock debris, trails, etc - there aren't many besides what's painted on the textures. Then there's the problem you often get with 3d graphics used in computer games where objects or limbs appear to sinking into others. But again, this is all 3d CGI in its infancy.

Despite all that, I must admit though that after all those G1 episodes, my eyes were glued to screen for the first few minutes before remembering what I was watching it for. :D

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Faction Leader

Postby Stik » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:01 am

I always giggle when they transform in season 1 - one mode shrinks into the body as the other mode sort of grows out of it. its great in slow mo

Gestalt

Postby Dr Syn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:43 pm

The facial expressions are still top notch for Robot and Beast modes.

Also, I think part 1 is the only time Waspinator uses Laser eyes.

Faction Leader

Postby Meangreen » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:17 am

I've always been annoyed by Megatron's size changing in the first season. When the 'cons first step out of their ship and Dinobot throws a tanty Megatron looks huge compared to Dinobot. But later we see Dinobot vs. Primal and Dinobot is clearly bigger than Primal. Following that though in the penultimate battle on the mountain Megatron is very close to Primal in overall size.

It always annoyed me when I was younger.

TFNZ Princess

Postby Mr_Ash » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:57 am

"Ahh, a treacherous, under-handed sneak attack. Oh-ho-ho, I like you, pussycat, yesss."

Haha, I always enjoy how Megs refers to Cheetor as 'Pussycat' in the first season, it's just the way he says it - it's almost flirtatious.
"..you get more classy every time."
"..you are a gentleman and a scholar."

Faction Leader

Postby Stik » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:10 pm

Its the finger wiggle he does when he says it the first time (Also his first 'Yeessss' of the series) that sells it

Evil Decepticon

Postby GuanYu79 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:54 pm

Just started watching this series again but this time with my 3 year old daughter. She loves it and asks to watch the next episode straight after the one we just watched. Daddy couldn't have been so prouder. The thing I love about this series is how well written it is. I would have to say (and don't slay me for this) but it better written than the original G1 series. It's very humorous but dark in some areas. Yes watching it now the animation looks quite out of date but still enjoyable. And by having the actual series you get to see the violence. On TV3 when it was first aired any violence was edited out so a punch or missile would be sent and the next minute they had cut to a completely new scene

Headmaster City

Postby groverboy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:56 pm

GuanYu79 wrote: I would have to say (and don't slay me for this) but it better written than the original G1 series.

Don't worry, no one will. It's simply a true fact.

Faction Leader

Postby Monkey222 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:34 pm

I like how Primal and Megatron are a reference to King Kong and Godzilla. Did any body else notice that?
WANTED: ROTF Lockdown, Classics Grimlock Missile, ROTF Stratosphere.

View my Trade Me listings: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=2437745

Collection count is in! The grand total is 466 transformers!-20/06/2014

TFNZ Princess

Postby Mr_Ash » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:23 pm

Monkey222 wrote:I like how Primal and Megatron are a reference to King Kong and Godzilla. Did any body else notice that?

Actually, it's a reference to the scene in 'King Kong' where King Kong fights a T-Rex. But same diff :)

groverboy wrote:
GuanYu79 wrote: I would have to say (and don't slay me for this) but it better written than the original G1 series.

Don't worry, no one will. It's simply a true fact.

What groverboy said.
"..you get more classy every time."
"..you are a gentleman and a scholar."

Return to Transformers Cartoon and Movie Discussion