Transformers: The Movie (G1)

Discuss the ever-changing and ever-popular Transformers cartoons - From Armada to Beast Wars to Zone, the 1986 movie to the upcoming 2007 Dreamworks movie. All talk of those Big 'Bots and 'Cons on the screen goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Faction Leader

Transformers: The Movie (G1)

Postby Meangreen » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:12 pm

Ok, So, I figure I should really watch this movie at some stage as I have yet to see it :oops: .

Now, the question is, I have seen quite a few copies floating around warehouse DVD sections for a tenner. Does anybody know the quality of these? Are they prone to having variable/muddy sound quality since they're the cheapo editions? Who has released the best version? Cheers.

Gestalt

Re: Transformers: The Movie (G1)

Postby Red_Baron77 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:28 pm

Hmm the one that I bought (silver case TF DVD's) the movie in there is in japanese :? so I just copied an english version of it I think its available for download :D Not sure of the ones availble in stores but I think it will not be that crappy...

Faction Leader

Postby Oldschool78 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:31 pm

Meangreen, you need to watch that movie bud. It was so ahead of its time. It was released when He-man still had a moral of the story message at the end of each episode!

Ive got a spare dvd if you want to get one cheap.

Ive noticed that the warehouse has got the bluray cheap like $25 or so, has anyone got that? Ive got the dvd, is the bluray worth getting?

Faction Leader

Postby iceman » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:41 pm

i got the special edition at jb hi-fi last thursday night. also, back in the days when only the computer game shops got in anime like that circa 2004 i got one of the first copies of the movie with no real extras.

the special edition ive just got is very good, comes with 2 discs, but instead of one being the movie and the other being the extras, you get 2 copies of the film, one disc for widescreen with half the extras on it and the other for fullscreen view with the other half of extras on it.

price was decent as well, $24.95 and it was not on special.

Faction Leader

Postby Meangreen » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:53 pm

Thanks for the tips guys.

Oldschool78 wrote:Meangreen, you need to watch that movie bud. It was so ahead of its time. It was released when He-man still had a moral of the story message at the end of each episode!

Ive got a spare dvd if you want to get one cheap.

How much are you looking for? I presume it's got decent playback right?

TFNZ Princess

Postby Mr_Ash » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:54 pm

iceman wrote:i got the special edition at jb hi-fi last thursday night. also, back in the days when only the computer game shops got in anime like that circa 2004 i got one of the first copies of the movie with no real extras.

the special edition ive just got is very good, comes with 2 discs, but instead of one being the movie and the other being the extras, you get 2 copies of the film, one disc for widescreen with half the extras on it and the other for fullscreen view with the other half of extras on it.

price was decent as well, $24.95 and it was not on special.

Funny thing about that wide-screen version is, it actually Cuts out more screen than the fullscreen version. The movie was animated in Fullscreen ratio, incase they decided to throw it on TV instead instead of the big screen.

The special edition is worth it for the in-depth panel with Peter Cullen, but one thing i found really annoying with that version what they'd tweaked the colours to everything was obnoxiously bright.

If you're after a DVD thats just the film and not too fussed about extras, i'd get the single disc release of the film Madman put out in 2004 [you can pick it up for about $10 from JBHIFI]
"..you get more classy every time."
"..you are a gentleman and a scholar."

Heroic Autobot

Postby opcollector » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:39 am

Or you could just watch the whole thing on You Tube.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiPoOqAV ... playnext=1

The quality is just fine.
So it's {ROTF} not as bad as shitting your pants?
Marginally. I honestly had to make a pro and con list to figure it out.

Evil Decepticon

Postby GuanYu79 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:06 pm

Just watched the Lion King in 3D at the movies and thought it was amazing. It got me thinking how awesome it would be to have this also re-released in 3D as well. It would all my wet dreams coming true. And maybe add in some of those deleted scenes.

Faction Leader

Postby Meangreen » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:24 pm

Haha, thanks for bumping this Guan Yu. Indeed, it would be cool to see it again in some kind of updated form.

And yes, I did eventually hire a copy of it to watch. It was pretty darn good for an 80's cartoon movie about toys. I would be lying if I said I didn't walk around with Stan Bush echoing through my head for a few days.

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:01 pm

It's an unusual movie. Sometimes watching it I think it's awesome, and other times it's just cringeworthy. Still, it has so many important plot points which are integral to TF lore these days. You gotta kill OP, you gotta have Unicron, you gotta reformat Megs etc.

I have it on my phone so watch some scenes from time to time like the taking of Autobot City and Megatron's reformatting. Love that Megs, despite being so wasted, refuses to relent to Unicron. Not many Megs these days are that tough. TF: Prime's Megatron is pretty hardcore, though.

Faction Leader

Postby Oldschool78 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:15 pm

Mr.Deflok wrote: Not many Megs these days are that tough.

Fully agree with ya there, its the first thing I was thinking of after watching Megs and StarScream in DOTM

Evil Decepticon

Postby GuanYu79 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:06 pm

Megs from the live action movies sucked. His character got worse and worse through the series. Thank god he finally died. With the animated movie. I just love the first 2 episodes and pretty much know all the quotes by heart. The third episode then starts to plummet with Hasbro obviously taking over and wanting the new toys more screen time. It then picks up for the last episode. Still in my top 5 movies of all time. Just wished they had all the original characters in there

Return to Transformers Cartoon and Movie Discussion