Transformers Movie - Ratings and Reviews

Discuss the ever-changing and ever-popular Transformers cartoons - From Armada to Beast Wars to Zone, the 1986 movie to the upcoming 2007 Dreamworks movie. All talk of those Big 'Bots and 'Cons on the screen goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

How high do you rate the Transformers movie?

Five stars - Best. Movie. Ever.
13%
Four stars - Pretty damned awesome
55%
Three stars - It wasn't bad, wasn't great either
20%
Two stars - I didn't really like it that much
7%
One star - Michael Bay ruined my childhood =(
5%

Total votes : 75
TFNZ Administrator

Transformers Movie - Ratings and Reviews

Postby Starscream NZ » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:12 pm

Want to rate the movie? Thought it blew? Have to opened a shrine to Michael Bay? Rate the movie here! Also, if you want to write a review, post it here. But PLEASE notify where there may be spoiler content for those who are yet to see the movie. So either point out where spoilers are, or keep the review free of them. We'd love to hear what you think of the movie.

Headmaster City

Postby GRUMPY » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:34 pm

How exciting! Great idea for a review thread! :D
GRUMPY. Otherwise known as 'sboy'

Autobot Commander

Postby mr_sooty » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:36 pm

Like I said in the other thread, it was cool fun. Awesome graphics, cool voices, lots of action, but seriously lacking in plot development. I like Sam Witwicky, he was cool, well played. I thought the blond hacker chick was even hotter than Megan Fox.

Too much human focus, but I guess that's cos of how hard it is to make the bots.

Cheesy as, but I actually really enjoyed it. Bumblebee was the coolest autobot, and I liked Barricade and Starscream out of the Decepticons.

Hugo Weaving sounds really good. Still would have been better with Frank Welker. Primes face looks woerd without his mask, but cool with it.

Overall, definitely cool, but not as well though out as say X-men. Not tha same level of character development. More a 'wow, don't they look cool' sort of flick. The good news is that there's no JarJar Binks. Definitely not as dissapointing as The Phantom menace!

Amazing animation. I gotta get some movie toys!

So who else noticed that Brawl calls himself Devastator when Megatron is summoning them all?

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Starscream NZ » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:05 am

My review:

I had been anxious to see this movie for months. Like many, at first the designs were very 'wtf?!' but they grew on me. And since the first trailer, I was excited, seeing the second and the two TV spots - I was super hyped. So waiting at the cinema was definately a exciting and desperate time, I couldn't wait to see these bots on screen so I managed to get the best seats I could at Cinemaxx (largest 38mm screen in world, dimensions are 30.6metres wide, 13 metres high) and the seats were perfect.

The movie itself? Pretty goddamn awesome. I do have a few gripes, main one being lack of attention on the Transformers themselves, although we had been told the story would come from a human perspective, not a Transformers. As someone on TFW2005 said, the Decepticons do not have much to say. I found this to be a bit dissapointing. However, those who did speak were done by professional voice actors and therefore did a really great job.

The movie is packed full of amazing special effects that are mind-blowing. The plot itself is pretty weak, but in all fairness there's not often been a really great plot in Transformers's past. So I could overcome that. I liked that it had a solid ending, yet very open for an obviously incoming sequel.

Overall I gave it a 4 star rating, there are a few things that irritated me a wee bit (such as lack of Transformer dialog) but it was well worth seeing and I will defiantely be seeing it again, and the eventual sequel. I really recommend this film to any Transformer fan.

Faction Leader

Postby Felix » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:12 am

3 1/2 stars from me.

The Good:
Awesome CG, and some great nods to the original series! Megan is hot, Shia (sp?) surprised me actingwise, its just a pity they didn't spend more time (read: any) on his and Bumblebee's relationship.

The Bad:
I was quite sick of Bay's crane/arial "lets massively pan and zoom this shot, in slow motion while circling around the subject(s)" by about halfway through, half the human characters really didn't deserve to be in there. SUPER RACIAL STEREOTYPES FTW!!11

the Ugly *SPOILERS?*
Wait till a few minutes into the credits to get the ominous sequel opener!

Decepticon Warlord

Postby blackstarninja » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:15 am

I gave it four stars

Definately deserves its pg 13 . Theres a few swearwords and a stack of violence .

It was awesome

Though the action got a bit to frantic in some parts at the end and I couldnt really tell what the hell was exactely happening ......

Id give it a solid 8 out of 10 .
As long as you go in there expecting a popcorn action movie and not a academy award winning movie you will enjoy the heck out of it .

Interestingly enough , our cinema stopped mid film twice ! Apparently we were told the movie is on 3 seperate reels so The entire movie wasnt on the one reel so it couldnt be copied easily . PItty they didnt have it synched up right so we had total blackness for about 30 seconds twice during the movie .
Got free passes afterwards though so im off tommorow to see it again !
Last edited by blackstarninja on Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
" That god damn American ninja ! He fights like a Tiger !! "

Faction Leader

Postby Felix » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:48 am

I thought that was pretty normal, sounds like you just had a noob projectionist.

Decepticon Warlord

Postby blackstarninja » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:55 am

Felix wrote:I thought that was pretty normal, sounds like you just had a noob projectionist.

Its ok , we all got free double passes as a gift afterwards so Im off to see it again today :)
" That god damn American ninja ! He fights like a Tiger !! "

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:31 pm

The crowd was ripe with fans, both embarassing and rad and whenever a nod was made to G1 people blew the roof off the cinema. Watching it with people who are familiar with all this was incredible, because of this I'm sure I enjoyed the movie all the more.

My only gripe with the movie is how the fights were filmed, it was hard to tell what was happening in most of them. However, when you got to see clearly what was going down it rocked. The shot where Ironhide transforms from car to bot to dodge the missiles then shoot the ground to elevate over the screaming chick was pure bliss. And there were moments like this aplenty. Optimus vs Bonecrusher (especially Crusher's end), or when Ratchet and Jazz team up on Brawl.

This movie is stacked with great moments and excellent setpieces which make it a high-andrenalin action packed ride which cannot be missed by fan and non-fan alike.

Transformers doesn't get a 4 from me because it's clever, nor because it had a great story, nor because it was emotionally charged, but because it was 2 hours and 20 minutes of pure movie magic, and I had a hell of a time.

TFNZ Moderator

Postby Subria » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:42 pm

Muhahahaha. They're back. Where do I start?

First off, it was very enjoyable, even though I feel like a complete Zombie at work today. Everything moved at a fair clip, and nothing was overly long or slow in parts (though admittedly, by the end you just wanted big motherfrakking robot action, screw everything else.)

Plotwise - as simple as you can get really, both sides are after the Allspark cube - and one person who has some clues to the location is Sam Witwicky. There's a bit of prologue and exposition to help the story move along. If you do go see, stay for the first part of the credits, there's a couple of extra scenes in there (nothing overly major).

Cullen as Prime is wow - hearing that voice again after all these years. It's a bit older, but it's very recognisable. And he pretty much channels the original character as well. Couldn't ask for better.

Bumblebee is a standout, despite the fact he doesn't speak for most of the film - he has some very cute moments with Sam and Mikaela. Shia LaBeouf as Sam was great - he pretty much carries the film for the humans. The rest of the Autobots do their parts, which is about all you can hope for. Lots of laughs as the Autobots fail to adjust to being on earth.

Fair number of humans, but Subria feels their inclusion actually helps boost the film's accessibility to the non Transformer fan. On the plus side, humans mean US military hardware - and in particular the Air Force. Get to see the F22 for the first time, as well as the A-10 and the AC-130 Spectre gunship. Lovely stuff - there are shots in there that hark back to the 80s feel of films like Top Gun.

The Decepticons are varied bunch, most of whom only appear in the 2nd half of the film, the standouts are obviously Blackout (the MH-53 helo) and Frenzy. Subria was pretty well prepared to dislike Frenzy (it's the most non original looking 'bot of the lot), but he's got a lot er character. Sort of an evil morphin ET type with a bad attitude (and language) feel. And yes, Devastator is in the film - despite the toys and most promotional material calling that particular character Brawl. It's only ever seen in the subtitles (of the Transformer language), so it's no biggy as far as Subria is concerned. And Starscream you slimy git, bugging out when he could see it wasn't going the Decepticon way.

If the film does well in the box office-and I can't see why that wouldn't be the case as the film tries its best to cater to the average movie goer, there's awesome potential for a sequel now the origin stuff is out of the way. Subria heard they couldn't fit in lots of stuff (aircraft carrier transformers, Constructicons and Dinobots) and given how large the mythos of Transformers is we're probably in for a lot of big frakking robots for years to come.

Should mention the music as well, at times it's very unobtrusive, and then flares into some pseudo American patriotic style music. It's a typical a Media Ventures score (ie Hans Zimmer's cohorts). There's nothing suitably memorable about the score as such. Linkin Park's 'What You did' gets some big airtime, as does Goo Goo Dolls with 'Before it's Too Late'.

As for the screening this morning, decent atmosphere, though at times I wanted to say to those down in the front left of the theatre - just STFU and watch the damned film.

Overall, you don't see a film like this for deep and meaningful insights into characters, places or events. You go to see stuff blow up and big frakking robots beat each other to a pulp. And this movie delivered that for me. I can't give it 5* - too many loose endings. Where did Barricade go? What happened to Scorponok? The radiation on Sam and co - is that bad or something? So the US government is going to leave the 4 Autobots alone?

Recommended ****/***** (and c'mon a big film this time of year that isn't a sequel, that's gotta be worth bonus points!)

This Moderator is no longer resident.

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Starscream NZ » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:25 pm

Subria wrote:Overall, you don't see a film like this for deep and meaningful insights into characters, places or events. You go to see stuff blow up and big frakking robots beat each other to a pulp. And this movie delivered that for me. I can't give it 5* - too many loose endings. Where did Barricade go? What happened to Scorponok? The radiation on Sam and co - is that bad or something? So the US government is going to leave the 4 Autobots alone?

Barricade - This is bugging me to no end, I either want him alive in the sequel or a proper ending for him in the DVD.

Scorponok - He seemed to be alive to me, even his tail was still flopping around so I suspect he is still in hiding, was probably too damaged to appear at the final fight

Radiation - probably not the same sort of radiation we'd expect, probably just 'alien life aura' they emit.

I would say that the Government would allow Prime and the others to stay, because the Autobots mean no harm, and can easily just hide in alt mode for most of the time.

Starscream - loved seeing him fly off at the end, it would be out of character for him to stay and fight till he got destroyed.

Autobot Commander

Postby starscream the great » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:49 pm

Well I had a few set backs but I saw it in the first screening in the end ironhide didn't make it in bofre the movie started though its 5:30 now I'm thinking hes there now

They canceled the 11am screening and I thought the 2pm one till he txt me saying that the 2pm one was one so me and my friend rushed down to see it alot of people there for it

we had one stop during the film but they fixed it up afterwards

VERY AWESOME though I had things that bugged me like lack of dialog with the cons and the stuff you guys talked about

that and my friend kept talking during it asking questions about it

I'm gonna see it again though very damned awesome
This is what Hasbro/Takara made my toy like!?

Faction Leader

Postby Felix » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:46 pm

Low point: Jazz' Introduction (seriously, he may have become a jar-jar had he been given more screentime) oh and the decepticon roll-call, way to cop out on their badness, they may as well have not had names.

High point: starscream sneakily following a group of F-22s, taking them out one by one constantly transforming in mid air (and did I see a gerwalk-like half-transform in there too?), that and blackouts first transformation - why couldn't the G1 sound be used more than once? it totally fitted right in, and gave me a big grin!

Twilight zone point: Hearing "its optimus prime" simulatneosly murmured from half the audience the first time we see the trukk.

Other noteworthy parts: Bumblebee "Urinating" petrol onto the wierd sector 7 guy. Op's energon blade thing. PETER CULLEN!

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Starscream NZ » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:28 pm

Felix wrote:Low point: Jazz' Introduction (seriously, he may have become a jar-jar had he been given more screentime) oh and the decepticon roll-call, way to cop out on their badness, they may as well have not had names.

High point: starscream sneakily following a group of F-22s, taking them out one by one constantly transforming in mid air (and did I see a gerwalk-like half-transform in there too?), that and blackouts first transformation - why couldn't the G1 sound be used more than once? it totally fitted right in, and gave me a big grin!

Twilight zone point: Hearing "its optimus prime" simulatneosly murmured from half the audience the first time we see the trukk.

Other noteworthy parts: Bumblebee "Urinating" petrol onto the wierd sector 7 guy. Op's energon blade thing. PETER CULLEN!

To my knowledge the TF sound was played 3 times.

Blackouts first transformation, played in slow-motion speed as Ironhide transformed and flipped, and when the Nokia-bot transformed.

Headmaster City

Postby loismustdye » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:35 am

the nokia bots, how cool were they? a psycho little phone trying to blow th e crap outta people with his tiny rockets and bullets...awesome.

Coulda done more with the de3cpticon numbers i think, 2 on one battles and so on.
Surely Jazz'll be repaired for a sequel, we cant not have Jazz.
no sig as photobucket nerfed it all
# of TF's: I don't have the patience to count them all
# of GIJoe: I've lost count

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoon and Movie Discussion