Combiner Wars series by Machinima

Discuss the ever-changing and ever-popular Transformers cartoons - From Armada to Beast Wars to Zone, the 1986 movie to the upcoming 2007 Dreamworks movie. All talk of those Big 'Bots and 'Cons on the screen goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Micromaster

Combiner Wars series by Machinima

Postby Reverend Strone » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:37 pm

This new animated series, based on the IDW Combiner Wars comic series (though how closely remains to be seen), looks beautiful to me. What do you al think?

We should get our first look soon, with prelude episodes scheduled to drop in barely a week. How those of us outside the US will be able to watch without resorting to illegitimate means remains to be seen, but the content looks promising at least.

Transformers: Combiner Wars series announcement and imagery, courtesy of Seibertron.com

More images, at high res, via the link, above.

Micromaster

Re: Combiner Wars series by Machinima

Postby Reverend Strone » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:44 pm

Here's the first Prelude clip for the new series. While it is rendered in a motion comic style, the series proper will be fully animated. There are another three of these coming over the next few weeks, featuring Victorion (July 5), Starscream (July 12) and Windblade (July 19), respectively (those being US air dates, so a day later by our calendar).

Transformers: Combiner Wars Prelude 1: Optimus Prime

The eight-part series itself starts in August.
Last edited by Reverend Strone on Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heroic Autobot

Postby Nero » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:44 pm

Always excited for more transformers content, double excited that its based on the IDW comics.

I really do hope that this opens the door for more comic based content getting more focus in any media type and potentially more plastic :D
Soundwave superior. Autobots inferior

Autobot Commander

Postby mr_sooty » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:28 am

No Peter Cullen?

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:36 pm

mr_sooty wrote:No Peter Cullen?

no its all there voice actors lol, i am worried how rushed it will be with the rumor floating around that it will be 8 shows at 5 mins each, at that point i would of just made it a movie

Autobot Commander

Postby mr_sooty » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:51 pm

5 mins? Oh dear.

Supreme Commander

Postby skydemolisher » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:21 pm

omegaprime wrote:
mr_sooty wrote:No Peter Cullen?

no its all there voice actors lol, i am worried how rushed it will be with the rumor floating around that it will be 8 shows at 5 mins each, at that point i would of just made it a movie

Monetisation. X amount of episodes will be on Youtube (Undoubtedly timed), the rest have a timed exclusive on another website and will eventually come to Youtube which will probably mean a digital copy can be bought from Youtube in 6months.

I caught a video the other day with one of the Machinima guys who does news stories saying he will be voicing Computron, I got a bit less interested at that point.
(D) For the Glory of the Decepticon Empire!!!!!!! (D)

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:50 pm

Or view each ep on the day as there bound to end up on certian websites

Micromaster

Postby Reverend Strone » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:47 pm

skydemolisher wrote:I caught a video the other day with one of the Machinima guys who does news stories saying he will be voicing Computron, I got a bit less interested at that point.

Yeah, I caught that too. His manner didn't exactly kindle any feelings of confidence, and I have to say I find the initial Optimus short stilted and awkward in its storytelling. Here's hoping tomorrow's Victorion intro will be better and hopefully portend a show worth tuning in for. It looks pretty, at the very least!

Some speculation on my part: it looks to me like Computron might be taking Superion's place in the narrative, assuming it roughly follows the IDW storyline. I wonder also if Maxima might be the show's version of Chromia?

Micromaster

Postby Reverend Strone » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:39 am

Victorion's prelude video is now live.

Disappointingly little animation of any kind, but I dig the zealot-like, ascendant surety she is depicted with. I'm very interested to see what they do with her. Her design is cool.

Gestalt

Postby kevman12 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:52 am

Reverend Strone wrote:Victorion's prelude video is now live.

Disappointingly little animation of any kind, but I dig the zealot-like, ascendant surety she is depicted with. I'm very interested to see what they do with her. Her design is cool.

Men I'm behind the eight ball, I didn't even know that they did an animation. Hmmm... Will check it out.

Micromaster

Postby Reverend Strone » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:42 am

Autobot Commander

Postby mr_sooty » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:45 am

What the heck?

Supreme Commander

Postby skydemolisher » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:59 pm

First few seconds... I can see his feet... In vehicle mode... Feet... No.

Also I get they are trying to copy the G1 voice buts its just, no.

I hope it will be fun to watch but the voices may just throw it off. Also hopefully they will animate it so they are actually disguising the robotic body parts and not just using the toys in animated form.
(D) For the Glory of the Decepticon Empire!!!!!!! (D)

Micromaster

Postby Reverend Strone » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:31 am

I neglected to post Windblade's teaser from a couple of weeks ago.

Windblade ...

But the main item today is the debut of the first episode.

Combiner Wars: Episode One ...

Reactions: Clearly this is its own continuity and not aligned with the comics of the same name. Visuals are fine. The animation is a little choppy in places but i didn't find it off-putting. I notice that when the bots hit things chunky pieces fly off them, but they don't seem to be missing any parts. I thought it was strange that the Combiners didn't separate when damaged. The storytelling was a bit blah, but it's only the first episode so I will let that slide. My only real beefs are all to do with audio choices. I think the vocal performances for both Comuptron and Menasor are weak. They have missed the opportunity to underscore the mass and power of these Combiners with big, deep voices. I wish they were pitched much lower, especially Menasor. Essentially they are just larger versions of regular sized bots. That's a shame, considering they are the center of this story. While Windblade's voice was fine, the acting was hard to take when she started sobbing. I also didn't like the music - too Casio keyboard for my taste.

I'm happy to keep watching but hope they make better choices with music and vocal treatment in future.

Here's a review from Seibertron.com that I agree with for the most part.

What do you guys think?

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoon and Movie Discussion