Spoiler Filled Thread - Age of Extinction

Discuss the ever-changing and ever-popular Transformers cartoons - From Armada to Beast Wars to Zone, the 1986 movie to the upcoming 2007 Dreamworks movie. All talk of those Big 'Bots and 'Cons on the screen goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Micromaster

Re: Spoiler Filled Thread - Age of Extinction

Postby Ultra Cadmus » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:02 pm

I think the character turn would make sense in this film, however the axe to the face in the first film, de-facing in Transformers 2, plus the Axe to the Face in the third makes it seem more within his character than out of character. It seems like Prime upped his crazy from 75% to 100% in this one.

I thought the New Autobots and Lockdown were the best parts of the film by far. Still better than TF2, and I can understand why plenty think its the best. I still prefer the original 07 film, but maybe that's just nostalgia.

Gestalt

Postby RotorstormNP » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:26 am

Re Prime's turn - good points, guys. I'll bear them in mind on my second viewing.

Speaking of which...radio station The Rock has AOE as its movie of the week so are giving away tickets. They played a trailer and one of the DJs said Prime's voice was cool but had to be altered or modified. I txtd them about the awesomeness that is Peter Cullen, they called me and put me on air...then gave me ANOTHER double pass! Some people have all the luck :-P
Cheers, Zac in Whanganui

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Zippo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:56 am

Saw it again last night
Watched around the sides of the screen a bit more and saw some extra stuff I missed the first time around
Also heard some stuff I missed the first time that helped explain some of the questions I had

But not all
In all, I really enjoyed it

Micromaster

Postby Ultra Cadmus » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:19 am

Does anyone know how Prime got the jets at the end?

Everyday i become more conflicted about this movie. It's got the best characterisation of the actual Transformers, but then there are so many negatives :C

Autobot Commander

Postby buyaball » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:48 pm

Ultra Cadmus wrote:Does anyone know how Prime got the jets at the end?

Everyday i become more conflicted about this movie. It's got the best characterisation of the actual Transformers, but then there are so many negatives :C

probably picked them up in china about the same time he woke up grimlock who was supposedly taken from another galaxy yet to get him on board optimus had to speak to him in chinese ?!?!?!?!

i'm already over TF4 it's been 5 days since i seen it and i'm already looking on ebay for anything non movie related

usually 5days after the TF films i get suckered into at least 2-3 toys not picked up a single movie toy thus fay and don't have any inkling to at all not even a little bit

don't click this link...

If you watch Titanic backwards, It is a heart warming tale of a ship which jumps out of the water & saves lots of drowning people.

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Zippo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:44 pm

No, Prime spoke to Grimlock in Cybertronian

I noticed that as Prime walked up to the sword and said something along the lines as recognise me as a Knight his arms got bulker
It is at that point he may have been 'upgraded' with the rocket boots.

Autobot Commander

Postby buyaball » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Zippo wrote:No, Prime spoke to Grimlock in Cybertronian

wow seemed chinese to me,Cybertronian in the first movie seemed more gruff and robotic then this time i guess

don't click this link...

If you watch Titanic backwards, It is a heart warming tale of a ship which jumps out of the water & saves lots of drowning people.

Gestalt

Postby Chris » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:39 pm

We saw it last tonight, in my opinion it's the worst of the 4 movies so far (I loved the first 3 as far as a fun rollercoster goes). The ending fight scenes where pretty good, and I think Hound and Lockdown where well done characters, but otherwise to me this wasn't really a movie about Transformers.

It was more of an 'alien invasion' movie and the typical action hero "daughter is threatened, hero goes on a mission to save her" kind of thing. The few transformers that where in the movie where mostly just props.

The movie was far too long, they could have easily cut 40 minutes off it. The previous movies didn't have much of a story, but they didn't need one, transformers is a movie that is meant to be fun, fast etc so it doesn't need to spend nearly 3/4 of the movie setting up the story of the humans/ignoring the transformers like this one did.

The next movie is about the creators of transformers, Quintessons you would imagine. So we are set for more 'alien invasion' type of storylines. If the next movie is anything like this one, I'm going to skip it. I can't give this movie more than 2/10.

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:55 pm

I thought the score was quite lacklustre but listening to the preview tracks has changed that. Autobots Reunite is chilling. Lockdown's theme is great too. Will hopefully be going again to the movie tomorrow.

Evil Decepticon

Postby Astellan11 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:11 pm

I just saw it for the 1st time last night.

All the little nit picks mentioned so far bugged me too, (jetboots, manmade cons transformations, small screen time with dinobots, crosshairs is an asshole, human love interests kiss during final battle) but I went in expecting all that + preparing for more.
So basically I was pleasantly surprised.. however my expectations were about as low as possible lol.

I liked how the dinobots were ancient warriors who Lockdown captured.
I liked Lockdowns transformation/model/character/long range fighting style a lot. If they do an awesome leader/voyager/ultra class fig I may pick it up.

Overall I enjoyed it and wasn't bored for the 2.4hour runtime.

Will wait for DVD release to watch it a 2nd time though.

Edit: things I thought during film.
Why not give the seed to Swoop/Strafe if you're so worried about it being in the city? Or triple changer Drift?
Galvatron seems to of made zero attempt to detonate the seed?
Why are the ancient warriors alt modes earth dinosaurs?
Who did all the autobots defend the bridge against at the end? Galvatron and Lockdowns forces all seem to be destroyed by Hound and the Dinobots?
Did Swoop/Strafe ever kill/fight anyone? He just seems to of giving Bee a tour of the city for no reason.. though they were all badass warriors >.>
Wanted:
Mint "Euro g1" / g2 anything
aka Turbomasters, Predators, Obliterators, Axelerators, Skyscorchers, Aquaspeeders, Stormtroopers, Lightformers

Gestalt

Postby kevman12 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:21 pm

Looking at the bright side at least Bay did open up avenues for new stories - Maybe Optimus goes and find the "Creators" <--- Primus? who knows UNICRON?

Still bugs me how a Wrecker or Wreckers was easily killed. <--- Typically kill a character to add to the effect e.g. Game of Thrones - main characters killed and new stories/characters can be developed. No legacy/evolution of old characters were is the RPG factor in this? Lol... :D :D :D

Evil Decepticon

Postby davehammer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:57 pm

Another part that really confused me was why they had Grimlock frozen in Antarctica or Arctic during the prelude and later he ended up on Lockdown's ship ? :?
And isn't deep space much colder than the coldest parts of Earth, these robots can travel from planet to planet and yet they keep getting frozen solid on Earth... like Megatron did in the first movie
Hope they don't recycle this lazy idea again in the next movie and keep finding more frozen Transformers on Earth

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:10 pm

davehammer wrote:Another part that really confused me was why they had Grimlock frozen in Antarctica or Arctic during the prelude and later he ended up on Lockdown's ship ? :?
And isn't deep space much colder than the coldest parts of Earth, these robots can travel from planet to planet and yet they keep getting frozen solid on Earth... like Megatron did in the first movie
Hope they don't recycle this lazy idea again in the next movie and keep finding more frozen Transformers on Earth

When they used those seeds it froze a whole heap of dinosaurs the one in the ice looked to small to be grimlock. But still there isnt much reason for them to be dinos lol

Minibot

Postby JDragonM32 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:26 pm

could the reason that the dinobots had no backstory be because they were earths dinosaurs turned into transformers at the start and lockdown captured them? Slash,Snarl & Slog arent in the movie,however i believe the raptor like thing at the start becomes Slash?

Drift,there was no mention what so ever of him being a former decepticon and it seemed like that was more Crosshairs thing.i didnt really like him,Crosshairs or Hound.
Crosshairs was an ass as ive said before.i like his design though.considering Sideswipes fate is unknown and how similar their vehicle modes are (both are corvette stingrays) i fear he has replaced Sideswipe.
Hound is very similar to Ironhide and i hate him for it as it feels like Ironhide was killed off to be replaced by Hound.
Ratchets death was sad under the circumstances.i was sad for him but happy when humans died.
Bumblebee was funny when he met Stinger.
Galvatron could have looked a bit better but is still awesome.i love the fact that he broke the humans control and did as he wanted.in fact i love the whole concept of him being a human built transformer made from Megatron,the humans cant understand why he looks like Megatron.
Lockdown should have lived but i think we all knew he wouldnt.

Faction Leader

Postby Meangreen » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:51 am

I saw it last night and did not really like it. The few positives I took away were the rally cars at the start, Stanley Tucci's acting and the big Dinosaurs going all Rip n' Tear. The sword/gun Marky Mark has was pretty cool too.

The Chinese influence was interesting to watch as well. Especially when the movie takes a moment to follow the Hong Kong officials call to Central Government and their avowal that Central Government will protect Hong Kong no matter the cost. I don't think that kind of thing has been quite so blatant in the co-funded blockbusters in the past.

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoon and Movie Discussion