Spoiler Filled Thread - Age of Extinction

Discuss the ever-changing and ever-popular Transformers cartoons - From Armada to Beast Wars to Zone, the 1986 movie to the upcoming 2007 Dreamworks movie. All talk of those Big 'Bots and 'Cons on the screen goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Micromaster

Re: Spoiler Filled Thread - Age of Extinction

Postby Ultra Cadmus » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:37 am

I usually get annoyed when movies have a Part 1 and Part 2, but yeah you're right, I certainly wouldn't have minded for this to be split up in two.

Does Michael Bay know how to give films a nice end with closure? It feels like Transformers 2, 3 and Age of Extinction just...stop. Like the dinobots run off, Galvatron is on the loose, and optimus flies into the sky.

I still liked parts of it. Hound, Drift, Crosshairs and Lockdown were all pretty great, I just wish we had less d*ck measuring between Cade and Lucky Charms and more of the Dinobots...

Autobot Commander

Postby mr_sooty » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:03 am

Just saw it. Usual Michael Bay rubbish. I only go to these movies now out of a sense of duty as a TF fan.

What i liked about it: Frank Welker voiced Galvatron. Nice to see Frank get his dues finally. Also I liked the Napoleon Dynamite guy... the human cast got a lot less interesting with his demise. Also thought the dinos where pretty cool, although not very well developed, and no backstory.

Dislikes: the usual. There's no plot... it's just 'we must stop these guys' and nearly three hours of things blowing up until they just stop. You find yourself really not caring what happens and just waiting for it to finish.

The female characters are cast entirely on looks and have no personality whatsoever.

These transformers are more like shape shifters than transformers. Too lazy to animate the transformation sequences properly? Too little time or money? I also never liked how they could scan anything they wanted. I mean why did ratchet need to hide in the funnel of a boat if he could just be a boat instead?

And how come prime can fly now?

But what bugs me most about these movies is that there is so little respect paid to the original stories and characters. You look any other 're imagining' movies, whether it's the avengers or batman or x men or star trek or whatever, they pay so much more respect to the original characters and background stories. Michael Bay tasked a few of the same names and that's about it.
Last edited by mr_sooty on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Micromaster

Postby Ultra Cadmus » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:06 am

mr_sooty wrote:But what bugs me most about these movies is that there I'd so little respect made to the original stories and characters. You look any other 're imagining' movies, whether it's the avengers or batman or x men or star trek or whatever, they pay so much more respect to the original characters and background stories. Michael Bay tasked a few of the same names and that's about it.

This. And it's not a matter of the original concepts being outdated, it's a matter of presenting them in such a way as to seem fresh. Wolverine is your prototypical antihero, yet he's presented in such a way as to be faithful to the comics while being approachable for a casual audience.

Optimus Prime in these movies is completely insane, this fact is furthered by Age of Extinction.

Gestalt

Postby Sledgehama » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:50 am

Saw it tonight and was even more disappointed than I had feared I would be. The Autobots I found to be completely unlikable and lacking any form of the moral code that I have always felt defined them as a group. The mythology again turns to 'things happened on Earth in the ancient past' well again for no decent reason and there are no rules to the universe - Transformers can apparently rescan their alt mode whenever, they can suddenly fly at escape velocity speeds unassisted when the past two films have had them utilising ships despite the fact that the director said ships maiden no sense for characters that turned into vehicles anyway... It's clear that the Cybertronians can do whatever is decided as cool for any particular scene. The human Herod add nothing with The daughter setting a new low for female characters in the series. The film stated with promise but was quickly wasted - Lockdown didn't do it for me as a big bad, especially with Galvatron just 'out there' not doing anything for the whole climax. As a person preference I disliked the parts-forming of the new Decepticons, especially as this did not seem to give them the same invulnerability Galvatron had. Everything on Lockdown's ship seemed rushed with tidbits of mythology chucked in there with no context or explanation.

I did like Kelsey Grammer as the human villain, though he seemed short changed toward the end for a character arc. Stanley Tucci was great to start with and had some real fun, but the character turn was earned properly - he still got the best laugh lines of the film once he bounces to comedic hero.

I did not enjoy this film. It hurts me to say that about a Transformers anything, but I just see so little redeeming qualities in it that it makes me sad. I think I need to go watch the animated movie to restore my faith in TF films...

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:08 am

The more i think about the movie the more i dont like it...

Micromaster

Postby Ultra Cadmus » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:54 am

I saw it, thought it was pretty good (6.5 or so out of 10 if i were to give a number score) then I woke up today disliking it immensely

Autobot Commander

Postby buyaball » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:38 am

Went to see TF4 last night not really what i was expecting it started off really well i was like "hey this is going good i might like this" they even have a cast member with my name can't go wrong....bom bom bom then it all went downhill pretty much right then

prime was not himself killing humans does not suit him at all
they kinda tried to ty things up from the last film but didn't really do it that well
the humans were in the way
optimus has been in 3 huge wars in 3 prior movies BUT still needed human assistance i would have thought by now he would be battle hardened
lock down didn't make the best bad guy
the human made transformers were not as strong as they were first made out to be ..i really liked the way they transformed but then when the fighting started they ceased to transform and died really quickly
hound pretty much did ALL of the fighting himself
hound was a pisstake and i didn't like his charictor
the introduction of the dinobots was bulls*it a 20second fight optimus wins with ease but then mins later he can't handle lockdown
galvatron was crap didn't even make it to the real fighting then walked off like "i'll fight you another time"
optimus can now fly unassisted?

just prior to going to the film i popped into k mart to have a look at some toys since i have not looked at the new toys in person and had 20mins to kill, i only liked the deluxe sulg everything else i seen would have looked more comfortable at the $2 shop TBH

over all i am glad it's over hasbro i want my 2 hours back *** Shakesfist***

don't click this link...

If you watch Titanic backwards, It is a heart warming tale of a ship which jumps out of the water & saves lots of drowning people.

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:46 am

buyaball wrote:

3 hours.

Autobot Commander

Postby buyaball » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:27 am

Mr.Deflok wrote:
buyaball wrote:

3 hours.

damn i must have slept a hour then :P

don't click this link...

If you watch Titanic backwards, It is a heart warming tale of a ship which jumps out of the water & saves lots of drowning people.

Micromaster

Postby Ultra Cadmus » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:33 am

buyaball wrote:
Mr.Deflok wrote:
buyaball wrote:

3 hours.

damn i must have slept a hour then :P

I was like, "Oh cool, it's going to end soon."

Then realised the Dinobots hadn't come on screen yet, and there was over 30 minutes left.

It's the first time I've ever wanted the opposite of a directors cut for the movie. I want the version that cuts it down 45 minutes somehow....maybe completely removing the dinobots seeing as they didn't do all too much.

Minibot

Postby stylie_steve » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Maybe I am just easy to please but I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it did a lot of things right that the other 3 movies got wrong.

I will admit the plot was weak, but I was never expecting it to be anything but. This is a Transformers movie, I want in expecting giant transforming robots that looked cool and big explosions and I got all that. If your going in expecting a masterpiece of cinematic story telling I can saying safe you are an idiot.

I will just make this quick with pros and cons to sum everything up.

Pros
* Better characterization of the Autobots - All members got a good amount of dialogue and each developed a distinct personality. Hound the lovable battle hardened Vet, Drift the Honorable Warrior and Crosshairs the Dick. Ratchet even got more dialogue in his one scene than he had in 3 previous movies.

* Humans no where near as annoying as the previous installments. The fact that we had a Father / Daughter made for less romantic sub plots which was a good thing.

* Lockdown - A far better big bad than Shockwave was built up to be. I really liked him and his motives still remain a mystery which should lead into 5 well hopefully with the reveal of the creators.

* Action was mind blowing. The Hong Kong battle trumped the Chicago battle.

* Giant Robot Dinosaurs!

Cons

* Giant Robot Dinosaurs! With no explanation or back story or any type of character. I hope these guys come back for part 5 as I want to see more of them and get some real story and character from them. They are just too cool to not use more.

* I didn't buy into Galvatron. Maybe he will be better in part 5 but for now he seemed a waste.

* Length, could have used a bit of fat trimming.

* Optimus was a bit blood thirsty for my taste. I didn't mind him killing Attinger but he just seemed way too pissed off all movie. I guess he cared more for Ratchet than he did Ironhide or Jazz.

* A few WTF moments. Optimus flying off into Space with Jet Boots, where did he get those form? Scanning a new Truck and being completed healed? (This one could be passed off as once the rocket was dislodged he regenerated over several days before scanning the Westen Star Truck just like Humans would heal over time), Triple Changing Drift? A bit of a stretch turning into a small compact Sports car into a Helicopter.

So yeah I got what I expected and will probably go see it again at this stage I am not sure where it ranks out of the 4 but too me it still felt more like a Transformer movie over the others Human movies with Transformers in them.

Autobot Commander

Postby mr_sooty » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:01 pm

stylie_steve wrote:I will admit the plot was weak, but I was If your going in expecting a masterpiece of cinematic story telling you are an idiot.

I don't think anybody is expecting an Oscar winning screenplay, but these movies are surely some of the poorest examples of storytelling in Hollywood today. Even fast and the furious had a better plot. If the Avengers can tell a good story why can't transformers? It's really not too much to ask for a semi decent plot line and some basic character development. Geez the 80s cartoons where just chucked together lazily to sell a few toys, but they still managed to tell a reasonable story.

Evil Decepticon

Postby davehammer » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:26 pm

I went in with very low expectations and it still managed to disappoint.

Pros
Awesome CGI sequences as usual
Baysplosions (lots of it!)
Mark Walburg was great
Robots tearing up Hong Kong was really satisfying to watch
Lockdown was one badmofo

Cons
The plot was really weak and all over the place
Lots of dorky Michael Bay humour
Lots of dorky annoying characters (the boyfriend, the bald guy, the guy who got cooked)
Dinobots and Galvatron were under used
Movie was wwwaaayyyy too long
Some of the new robot designs look kinda cheesy with colours a bit too vibrant (mainly Crosshairs and Drift)
Shameless product placements
Optimus has rocket boots?

The sad part is, I was looking at the trivia section on IMDB and saw the list of directors considered to replace Bay...
Roland Emmerich, Joe Johnston, Jon Turteltaub, Stephen Sommers, Louis Leterrier and David Yates
Even if Bay steps away now and any one of these clowns get the director seat, there is still little hope for a truly great live action TF movie.

Headmaster City

Postby Spike » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:36 am

You guys nailed it already. Plot is a joke.

Stanley Tucci was great.

And why was optimus in a movie theatre?
Spike's want list
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12376

Pretender

Postby MAULER666 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:20 am

just got back from seeing it.

My fave part...that guy got roasted.
Worst part..the other 2hrs50 whatever
Verdict...got what I expected meh.
My list of gimmees: