Spoiler Filled Thread - Age of Extinction

Discuss the ever-changing and ever-popular Transformers cartoons - From Armada to Beast Wars to Zone, the 1986 movie to the upcoming 2007 Dreamworks movie. All talk of those Big 'Bots and 'Cons on the screen goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

TFNZ Administrator

Spoiler Filled Thread - Age of Extinction

Postby Zippo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:52 am

So, sound of in here with thoughts, reviews, questions etc for the newest Transformers film

THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD!!

TFNZ Administrator

Re: Spoiler Filled Thread - Age of Extinction

Postby Zippo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:56 am

Wow, where to begin

So many questions rather than answers have come from this movie

As a movie, with action it was rather good. While still having some humour, they managed to get rid of all the toilet humour from the first three
The lead actors are all very good

As a Transformers film, I am rather annoyed that once again the big robots are secondary. There are a few big action sequences that the robots should be front and centre, but no we have to watch those damn humans.

Mini-Con

Postby Sohcturbs » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:02 am

I am sure this will be a massive box office hit.

However, I was rather disappointed. For a draw card like dinobots it seemed an after thought, did they even talk if so I missed it.

A good mind less watch again with plot holes and minimal character development.

TF1 still the pick of the lot for me.

I am thankful we get dino toys from this though!!

My tired 2c

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:28 am

Well it was defently a m bay movie lol.

No where near as many dinobots as there are toys lol.

Galtron was fun.
Lockdown was awsome.
Dinobots needed alot more screen time.
I found the particule transformation cool but also lazy.

Im sure the qints will be in the next if there is a next.

Disterbing i went to the 9 showing and every premier i had been to it was packad but this one the front 3 rows where empty and the back seats where not full at all, i know its early days but i cant help feel the sales for this movie wont be so great...

Minibot

Postby JDragonM32 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:40 am

i really enjoyed it and most of my issues with the movie are more to do with the toys because of the movie but ill still post them here.

firstly the robots size i guess i never really grasped that until seeing Megatrons head in the lab,they really are gigantic.gigantic. Crosshairs was an ass and i didnt really like him,Drift is a bit up himself i think and Hound is just an Ironhide rip off really,Ironhide was the better character.Galvatron was awesome and really the humans should of seen that coming,for starters they should have been able to detect that Megatrons head was somehow still active.seeing Sentinels head was pretty cool as was the 2 headed Shockwave character.Lockdown was kind of cool but he could of been better.i was disappointed with how many robots were actually in it,Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Crosshairs, Drift, Hound, Brains, Ratchet, Leadfoot, Grimlock, Scorn, Slug, Strafe, Galvatron, Stinger, Lockdown, 2 headed Shockwave thing and i think a 2 headed Soundwave? there should of been more (eg Vehicons and Rollbar should have actually been transformers)
there was no mention of the fates of the previous humans,i wanted to know what happened to Sam,Agent Simmons and Cpt Lennox.
survivors of DOTM are unaccounted for though you could assume they were killed (Sideswipe and Dino/Mirage,humans),others were shown as dead.

and now my issues with the toys.
Dinobots,i like the toys coloring despite not being accurate.what i dont like is that not a single one of the toys are in scale with anything,even themselves.Grimlock would have to be a Leader class with the others being Voyagers and Optimus Prime being Deluxe with everyone else being Scout class-i do know that scale is near non exsistant with the toys so i will still be buying them.Crosshairs shade of green is wrong and should be metallic,Hotshot being a repaint already and wasnt even in the movie.Rollbar and the Vehicons are not transformers (at least in this movie) so the Deluxe (Crankcase repaint) and 1-Step Changer (movie version) will probably be the only versions we get-was hoping the movie one would get a deluxe.Lockdown is out of scale though not hasbros fault,his vehicle mode should be a Deluxe but his robot mode is Voyager sized,i dont know how hasbro could make him that way though.

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Zippo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:14 pm

Some questions I had after my first viewing
They could be answered with more viewings

If the Autobots can just scan a new alt mode 'whenever', why don't they do it more often?
Why is Drift a triple changer and why does he only show signs of his vehicle form in robot mode (Bugatti chest)
How did Prime repair himself - he went from Critical to happy to drive for 'hours' and then perfect after scanning a new form. Can all TF's repair themselves by scanning a new form?
So Grimlock and co 'just happened' to be in the part of Lockdown's ship that Prime and co stole, and then just so happened in the same part of the ship that crashed. What were they doing in there, how did Prime know they were there and ... stuff!
How did Prime fly at the end of the movie?

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:43 pm

the rescaning thing bugs me
Not knowing what happend to the other humans bugs me...

as for prime with his jetpacks all of the sudden i think pulling that sword upgraded him.

Autobot Commander

Postby starscream the great » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:39 pm

I think the whole repair thing might be due to the regeneration metal they talk about in the first movie when they inspect scroponoks tail but that's making a stretch considering megatrons state in DOTM

but as for the movie I loved it

Lockdown: good could of had a better explanation about the knights thing he talked about that apparently prime and the dinobots were a part of I'm kinda getting the similar vibe like lockdowns back story in TF animated at the moment

Galvatron: awesome though I'm not sure on this whole digi transformation he does would've been fine for the vehicons but him I didn't expect good to see frank welker back though. Was worried it was'nt gonna be the megatron to galvatron story but thankfully it was

Humans: ALOT better nice change to the constant panics from the actors of the 3 previous films and walberg better more useful as a hero role aiding the autobots

Autobots: Don't mind the new guys that much they had their moments and yea some things said about them here I can argee with but no huge gripes primes still awesome and its interesting to see abit of the lost faith in humanity they start having during the film kinda seems similar to that 6 part issue dreamwave released for their G1 story

Dinobots:can't say much but WOW but yea better back story and talking would've been nice my only guess why they were on lockdowns ship was possibly due to them being frozen at the start and dug up hence why you see lockdown at the arctic

Bad points: mainly just alot of unanswered questions like wheres sam and co, the creators and the whole knights thing really.
This is what Hasbro/Takara made my toy like!?

Heroic Autobot

Postby jalbert009 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:49 pm

I really liked this movie.

The Good:

1. I really liked that they developed the persona's of the new autobots unlike in previous movies we only got to know optimus, bumblebee, twins and wheelie.

2. Introduced a new faction. Those ships that Lockdown came from.

3. Explained how the decepticons/Megatron survived. Whatever was left from the 50 man made ones after that battle plus the dozen or so left that the CIA are tracking down.

The Bad:

1. Not enough screen time or at least talking from Dinobots. They were really used to hype up this movie!!!

2. So many unnamed decepticons.
-Double headed Soundwave looking bot
-Single headed Sounwave looking bot
-Green car like bot
-Green Garbage Truck - This was named junkheap though by Hasbro
-White car like bot
-Soundwave like bot

3. Still to much emphasis on the Humans during the good battles.

4. I thought those man made bots were upgrades over the transformers? Bee, Hound and Walberg killed like 20 of em in that last battle.

Things to think about...

What will happen to the Dinobots on earth now that their free?

Who are those ships where lock down came from?

Will Galvatron rally all the decepticons and man made decepticons and try take over the world again?

Where did Prime fly off to?

Are they really all the autobots left? Dino, Sideswipe, Wheelie, Twins, Roadbuster and topspin? Did they all really die? Where did drift, hound and crosshairs come from?

Autobot Commander

Postby starscream the great » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:27 am

According to the IDW version of DOTM Setinel Kills the twins as he kills Ironhide though then again barricade was supposed to be decapped by optimus during the bonecrusher fight in the first movie in the comic.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Twins
This is what Hasbro/Takara made my toy like!?

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:04 am

I wouldn’t say Hound was an Ironhide rip-off but was definitely there to be the “big guy” on the team. Hound was a completely different character. Ironhide was 100% bad ass where Hound was a lot more loveable, humourous while still being bad ass. I couldn’t say who I prefer but I certainly loved them both. I wish his toy was as rotund as his film counterpart.

Plus Hound pretty much single-handedly destroyed about 20-30 of the man-made TF’s! Love his line at the end when he is lying on ground.

Though the Dinobots were neat I probably wouldn’t’ve bought a Grimlock had I seen the movie first. There just wasn’t enough substance to their role and they didn’t do anything particularly cool. In fact, their absence would’ve made little difference to the film overall.

I did really like Slug though because he was adorable. It was so cute seeing him getting sucked up by the magnet/anti-grav and Swoop come in to grab him by the tail and save him. Then later when he gets pulled up under the flyover bridge between the two buildings the big lummox looks so helpless.

Prime scanning the Western Star and thereby repairing himself was confusing. It was unclear if Prime was in Evasion Mode and rusty to hide or due to the battle damage sustained from the ambush. It sounds like he was disabled by the missile in his chest which means he was in Evasion Mode when he got him or that he somehow got time to get into Evasion Mode and perhaps the reformatting into a truck disabled him. If reformatting can heal your wounds then wouldn’t be a good idea for mortally wounded bots to scan something nearby to recharge? Which is a paradox because if Prime reformatted following the ambush he should've healed himself.

I’m gonna go with Prime having repaired himself over the past few days since the escape from Attinger’s men (like humans do, healing) and retained the rusty look to maintain disguise. The latter is a bit silly since everyone knows what he looks like now though. Maybe the missile in his chest shut-down his natural healing.

One thing, though, his transformation animation in Evasion Mode was awesome.

Prime sees Grimlock’s face when Lockdown strings him up. On that, it’s unclear if the Knights of Cybertron were the Dinobots and they were exploring the stars of if the Dinobots were just random bots Lockdown had captured for his zoo. Probably the later since we see Knight-like statues when Cade finds the gun-swords... plus Prime seems to possibly have been one of the Knights? But then the Dinobots were "Legendary Heroes", whatever the hell that means.

The TF history in the movies is very vague... the AllSpark gave them life? There were 13 Prime’s? OP is a descendant? But then what about Sentinel? How long was OP in charge? And if the creators built OP (and maybe the rest of Cybertronians) then why did Sam go to robo-heaven? It’s sad that we’ll probably never get canonical answers to these questions.

Hopefully will go see it again this weekend.

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:09 am

Oh, and I have to say that I preferred Galvatron over Lockdown in terms of villainy. Lockdown was awesome, sure, but I absolutely loved Galvatron's plan even if it was lifted from TFA. What made Galvatron stand out even more for me was that he is sparkless. "You have no soul!" "That is why I have no fear!"

Damn spooky. It's hard to be anymore evil than not having a soul. He's pretty much a demon.

Just wish his toy was a bit better.

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Starscream NZ » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:35 pm

I went in with 0 expectations and left surprisingly happy with the film (well, it was about as good as MB TF film is gonna be).

Firstly, Hound was a much more interesting character than Ironhide. I love Ironhide but Hound had more dialogue in one film than Ironhide had in three. We got to know Hound a lot better as a character and therefore he's a lot more interesting for it.

Drift was kind of meh, the triple-changing was bizarre and unexplained. Crosshairs I enjoyed, and loved his design.

Ratchet - We knew he was going to die, but I am thrilled that they got to at least have Lockdown kill him, and give him one of the most meaningful and emotional deaths in the film franchise. So long buddy.

Galvatron - Was surprised to see so much of an Animated/86 film influence in him.

Lockdown - Easily the most well developed of the villains used so far, really enjoyed him and glad to see more care is being put into the villains.

Plot - pretty decent, but another McGuffin and tale of TF's on prehistoric earth felt pretty repetitive, time to do a film where there's not a McGuffin or a story from the past that causes the premise of the film. It's been done, to death.

Dinobots - like Soundwave in ROTF, they were promoted heavily, but then barely did anything. Disappointing, but could be setting up for future films.

All in all, I enjoyed the film for what it was, and felt it was a vast improvement over the previous two efforts. Will probably see again in the cinemas at least once.

Micromaster

Postby Ultra Cadmus » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:45 pm

Good grief, that movie was relentless. I got 2 hours in wondering when it was going to end.

I liked it more than 2 or 3, but holy hell 2 hours 45 is waaaaay too long for a transformers movie, let alone any action movie.

Hound was awesome, and the characterisation of every autobot was by far the best. I even liked how they killed Lockdown, worked way better than the usual human winning.

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:17 am

Ultra Cadmus wrote:Good grief, that movie was relentless. I got 2 hours in wondering when it was going to end.

I liked it more than 2 or 3, but holy hell 2 hours 45 is waaaaay too long for a transformers movie, let alone any action movie.

Hound was awesome, and the characterisation of every autobot was by far the best. I even liked how they killed Lockdown, worked way better than the usual human winning.

I treated it like i was watching 2 movies at once kinda helped lol

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoon and Movie Discussion