Prime or Animated

Discuss the ever-changing and ever-popular Transformers cartoons - From Armada to Beast Wars to Zone, the 1986 movie to the upcoming 2007 Dreamworks movie. All talk of those Big 'Bots and 'Cons on the screen goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Autobot Commander

Prime or Animated

Postby Mr.Deflok » Fri May 17, 2013 8:51 pm

I only watched until Soundwave's first appearance in TF Animated but didn't get hooked so gave up. Didn't help that I didn't like the art style. I don't think I even bought a single toy! But everyone says it was an amazing show.

I missed out!

I want back in! Anyone know if the series were released on disc fully? I hate the 3 episodes per disc bullcrap they do sometimes.

Anyway, what do you think? Is it better than Prime? Prime really doesn't seem to know what it's about. It's awesome in a one-shot sort of way but there's no ultimate story or goal. Now Beasts are being introduced and it's like, how the hell does that fit in? Why was everything from Cybertron sent to Earth/Unicron? It's plot of convenience.

It's frustrating.

Heroic Autobot

Re: Prime or Animated

Postby soak314 » Sat May 18, 2013 11:24 am

Animated beats out Prime in every other area, losing only to visuals. Prime's not very well thought out, and the characters are horribly shallow for a modern day, big budget cartoon. All it really has going for it is nifty explosions and fight scenes.

If Animated's style isn't your thing, it'll indeed be a major hurdle towards enjoying it. I hated the fact that they were running on an anime-tastic FPS count which simply did not do justice to the clever simplicity of Wyatt's designs. But I persevered, and was rewarded with a well thought out and extremely interesting take on the TF universe. The token human, Sari, is probably the best one ever in a TF series, too.

Be warned, though, it ends cancelled on a severely disappointing note.

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Sat May 18, 2013 12:34 pm

I didn't mind the ending a lil rushed but not to bad, the fact the toys are almost perfect towards the cartoon helps alot.

Decepticon Warlord

Postby NKF » Sat May 18, 2013 7:42 pm

I say savour them both. They're unrelated works after all. But both share the same thing in that they're probably the best written TF shows to come out this side of Beast Wars.

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Sat May 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks to Omega I'll be able to watch TFA. I think I just get annoyed with time wasting things now which is why I don't watch many TV Shows; they generally lose direction and I lose interest. Since there are only a few episodes of TFP to go I'll see it out.

Headmaster City

Postby Spike » Sat May 18, 2013 9:02 pm

I pretty much watched the entire thing on youtube. I was VERY reluctant about animated. It was the toys that got me, I was impressed that the on screen characters looked exactly (more or less) like their figures. The gimmicks weren't obtrusive and not line specific and forced (ala cyber keys, mechtech etc) The figures had such character that I started to check out the show. Some dud episodes but as a whole, not really many.

Like all things usually, season 1 is normally one shot episodes to introduce the characters and its the second season that really gets a story arc going. Though in Animated's case, season 1 had a pretty decent storyline.

Prime is ok-ish. I watch, but its a bit haphazard.
Spike's want list
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12376

Micromaster

Postby cutcutcut » Sat May 18, 2013 9:15 pm

Mr.Deflok wrote:Thanks to Omega I'll be able to watch TFA. I think I just get annoyed with time wasting things now which is why I don't watch many TV Shows; they generally lose direction and I lose interest. Since there are only a few episodes of TFP to go I'll see it out.

So did they do a DVD collection of the entire series? I think perhaps the visuals of Animated would appeal more to kids? I'll probably see if the kids like animated after we get through G1.

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Sat May 18, 2013 10:03 pm

Well... the entire series is being put on one disc for me.... :P

Locally it was only the volume rubbish I think but overseas there might've been better options. Haven't really looked into it. The art style I really don't like for TF's. It's nice, sure, but I prefer my robots looking big and impressive where in TFA, to me, most were rather cute.

EDIT: Oh, and I bloody hate noseless TF faces. Faceplates etc are fine but the whole blank slate with eyes and a mouth sucks. I prefer the G1 style. Even the Unicron trilogy and the original RID had noses. I hope the trend ends with TFP. Noses are awesome.

TFNZ News Crew

Postby omegaprime » Sat May 18, 2013 10:59 pm

cutcutcut wrote:
Mr.Deflok wrote:Thanks to Omega I'll be able to watch TFA. I think I just get annoyed with time wasting things now which is why I don't watch many TV Shows; they generally lose direction and I lose interest. Since there are only a few episodes of TFP to go I'll see it out.

So did they do a DVD collection of the entire series? I think perhaps the visuals of Animated would appeal more to kids? I'll probably see if the kids like animated after we get through G1.

there where dvds that had 2 or 3 eps on them there was like 5 discs got released here

season 1 and 2 seen mass release but season 3 never seen the light of day on dvd at least not that i knew of so just download it.

animated has alot of highs alot more then prime now if animated had the art style prime has with the story plot then i recon they could of done something wounderfull with it, but its to early to write off transformers primes story plot though i also have to admit im geting into the comics myself the story is so much more there and g1 get to continue lol.

Gestalt

Postby kevman12 » Sun May 19, 2013 9:57 am

Like what the other guys are saying, the cartoons are cartoons not CGI but the toys are close, close to show accuracy! :D :D :D

The first time I've seen a semi-complete (excluding some bot con stuff) set of animated toys was from Mr_Ash.

I personally like G1 toys but with the Bay-formers I got hooked in again. I told myself not to start another line, but when I saw the animated line from Ash combined with his USB copy of the entire series, I was hooked!

The animated toys are first were like, "yeah, yeah" but when you transform it, its solid, the plastic is thick apart from a few (Samurai Prowl - the joint get loose) its easy to get hooked.

I've pretty much almost completed the line apart from the botcon toys. I've been saving for months now to complete this line.

The stunticons botcon 2011 is around $350+ USD
Fisitron is around $90 USD
Autotroopers $90 USD
Fisitron and Sideswipe is around $150 USD

The rest of the line (excluding the botcon stuff) if you wanted to instantly complete it - Devcon is selling his whole animated collection (maybe approx $1000 NZD +).

So thats around $2000 NZD+ with botcon stuff.

I had a huge dilemma a few months ago, it was either starting and buying Zippo's Alternity collection or animated botcon. For the sake of completing I went with the animated botcon and find the final human alliance figure - mudflap. So don't like being a completist, its such a pain. I personally tend to over commit that my financial resources get stretched, to the detriment of others. So yeah, i'm trying my best not to commit. But not that i'm warning and all, but if your like me - I would say don't get hooked. TF animated is either something you hate or really covet, covet so much that it's like that feeling, "buying for the sake of completing, or habit instead of buying to enjoy it.

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Sun May 19, 2013 12:01 pm

I was talking more about the show, really. I have zero interest in the toys as they're inherently the same aesthetic which does not appeal to me. So that saves me a lot of money!

Heroic Autobot

Postby prowl is prime » Sun May 19, 2013 12:27 pm

To me Animated was lighter, it had humour and Prime wasn't a hero or the man he was a rookie (better than his team of course) but a rookie. It had filler episodes but it was quite an enjoyable watch.
Tf Prime on the other hand seems darker, vehicons are expendable and there's a lot more explosions. Prime in some ways feels rushed and half baked with Unicron only lasting a few episodes. The promise of anyone can die at anytime had my hopes up for a shake up but I'm still waiting.

Decepticon Warlord

Postby NKF » Sun May 19, 2013 2:47 pm

You got a little jaded by the killing off of characters on Prime after a while. Particularly with the Decepticons.

Prime had a lot of promising story lines but I felt many of them seemed to fumble towards the end with limited payoffs, or were used as a vehicle to introduce the next earth shattering McGuffin. The one with Mech for example was shaping up to be quite good, but it felt like they quickly wrote it out of the story line towards the end.

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Micromaster

Postby Reverend Strone » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:18 pm

It took me a few episodes to warmup to Animated but it wasn't long before I was hooked. I love the unconventional designs and the characterisations were fresh but had just enough callback content to previous generations to make me smile. It was a really clever and, above all,fun show. I really miss it.

Prime has tickled the itch, but I found it harder to enjoy because of its over all much grimmer tone. Season 3 has had some of the best writing to date and they seem to have embraced a bit more of the light-hearted tone of Animated, but it took a longtime to get here and now the show is done. It has always seemed like a slightly uncomfortable mashing of elements and characters from the charmingly light Animated show and the ugly and crass movie franchise, though fortunately it has more dignity than Bay's entries. I have come to enjoy the show, but it ain't Animated, which remains my fave.

I am optimistic about the future, based on the noises that have been made about the show's successor series. Here's hoping they can recapture some of Animated's charm, while keeping some of the elements that Prime did get right. By the end it certainly had some great production value.

And hurrah to both tv shows for having strong, featured female characters amongst both the heroes and villains. More of those please. I love the variety and they help engage my daughters, who look up to them.

Return to Transformers Cartoon and Movie Discussion