Dark of the Moon Reviews

Discuss the ever-changing and ever-popular Transformers cartoons - From Armada to Beast Wars to Zone, the 1986 movie to the upcoming 2007 Dreamworks movie. All talk of those Big 'Bots and 'Cons on the screen goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Autobot Commander

Re: Dark of the Moon Reviews

Postby Mr.Deflok » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:49 pm

This OP is tragically awesome. At the end he just doesn't give a fuck. His best friend is killed by his mentor who betrayed him and the humans he has sworn to protect have lied and exiled him. When he says "We will kill them all" it's because he knows there's no reasoning with the enemy anymore or giving them any chances. Through their death is victory. But what I loved about this is that Cybertron was partially destroyed (even further) by winning this battle so it makes it a really tragic victory (kinda reminded me of Seven Samurai's ending where though the bandits are shoo'd away the losses negate the victory).

It was nice seeing a Prime who wasn't someone you'd like to have as a father.

The same can be said for Megatron. After those two crushing defeats he appeared to have gone a little batty (talking to Elephants, loosing half his head). The chillin' in the alley was really neat in this respect and it was quite sad that in the moment he tried to reclaim his pride by taking on Sentinel Prime kills him.

I didn't like the movie walking out of the theatre but it has grown on me tremendously. The only thing I'm really annoyed about is how Bumblebee and co are captured seconds after Bumblebee catchs Sam and Lennox after Starscream is killed. This explained at all in the novel/comic?

Both Waves were underwhelming also, though I loved the idea of Soundwave being undercover as Carly's car.

Headmaster City

Postby Spike » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:32 am

Well to be honest, as a movie, I thought it was largely disappointing. The story was boring. Well maybe it was just told in a boring way. I was following it at first and then it leapt into all the crazy stuff. Pretty much from when sam says that we need to call in sentinel prime. Truly moving moments were not capitalized upon. Ironhide in particular and sentinel prime betraying them. It was like " oh by the way, I'm bad now". He wasn't even built up to make his betrayal so shocking. Visuals are one thing but the story felt weak.

In fact if anything, it made me appreciate rotf.
Spike's want list
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12376

Evil Decepticon

Postby GuanYu79 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:30 pm

Spoilers present

I would give this movie a nice 8. When I go to the movie's, I go there for entertainment. If i'm looking for a plot then I hire out the DVD and put sub-titles on so I can pick up everything.
This movie was full of action. Who cares about the plot. The chick was super hot and way better than that Angelina Jolie. And I have never been a big fan of Bumblebee but could feel the tears welling when I thought I was looking at his immanent death.
Absolutely horrified with Ironhide dying and nothing said about it later.
The things that bugged me were who were the other Autobots?? I still don't know so if someone could fill me in. And the other Deceptacons who arrived, who were they?? The black SUV's that were killed??
Spock being Sentinel that was classic and then saying the need's of the many... pure gold.
My biggest regret was the final show down between Prime and Megatron. I kept waiting for one may stand....one must fall. It never happened and Megatron finally got a head in life in one swipe

Decepticon Warlord

Postby NKF » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:12 pm

The funny thing about Megatron is that he seems to have ways of coming back to life again in one form or another.

Haven't seen this yet, but did they make any big deal of tying in the oversized mechtech weapons?

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Pretender

Postby Antonio Handsome » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:34 pm

NKF wrote:The funny thing about Megatron is that he seems to have ways of coming back to life again in one form or another.

Haven't seen this yet, but did they make any big deal of tying in the oversized mechtech weapons?

- NKF

There is one pretty boss moment where Bumblebee whips out some huge guns while driving on the highway, but that's all I can recall at the moment.
i am great at signatures

Decepticon Warlord

Postby HookX5 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:20 pm

Went and saw it tonight, definitely better than ROTF. Unfortunately the blatant 'cut and paste' story-line was off-putting. I felt like I was watching expensive CGI versions of The Ultimate Doom and Megatron's Master Plan at points! I know to expect some reference to the source material but it's almost like the writers ran out of steam. :P

Autobot Commander

Postby mr_sooty » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:44 pm

Me and Chimetime went and checked it out in 3D tonight. Overall, I really enjoyed it, SO much better than ROTF (it couldn't possibly have been worse). I think I actually liked this one best of the three. This was the first one to exceed my expectations, which were admitedlly pretty low after ROTF. Awesome action, amazing graphics (especially awesome seeing TF's in 3D), great character in Sentinal Prime, loved Prime kicking butt at the end...

BUT....

Way too long. I had to pee for about the last hour, which was a little distracting.

Que? It's one thing to rip a character straight out of James Bond, but to not even change his name? And since when do TF's have hair? (or bleed for that matter). I saw on the credits that the person who voiced Que also voiced 'Wheeljack'. Who was Wheeljack? And why wasn't Que called Wheeljack? Would have made more sense. I did not like this character at all.

Dino? Terrible choice of name for a character that clearly should have been Sideswipe. Too bad they already used that name on a Character that should have been Bluestreak. But really, Dino? Not even Tracks, or some other random G1 car name?

Half the characters from ROTF were missing, not that I liked them enough to care. Chimetime was dissapointed at the exclusion of Skids and Mudflap, but I certainly wasn't. He was also dissapointed at the lack of Michela, and I'm a little more on his side there. Carly was nice to look at, but after building the intense relationship between Michela and Sam in the first two movies it was a bit lame to just say 'she dumped him', and very difficult to believe in the new relationship.

I wish Soundwave sounded like Soundwave, or you know, like an updated version.

Megatron was, again, way too lame, and way too easily defeated, although it did make Prime look seriously badass.

Still no explanation as to why Bumblebee could talk at the end of the first movie, but never could again. I prefer him not talking though, and I actually thought they did a brilliant job editing clips into dialogue for him this time.

But, ah well. Overall, as a TF fan, I've found this franchise to be pretty dissapointing - great visually but pretty average from any other point of view. However I'm just so relieved that the third installment wasn't the massive pile of turd that the second installment was.
Last edited by mr_sooty on Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Headmaster City

Postby green dragoon » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:13 pm

I find it really is strange that they make up new names for TFs in these movies when there is already a rich cataloge of Names and Chracter personalities to draw from. i mean there have been countless tv shows, comics and stand a lone toys to reinvent.
The Surprising Adventures of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

A Tomahawk of Honesty in the Skull of Lies

Heroic Autobot

Postby jalbert009 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:21 am

1. Sentinel was cool! Cant blame him for what he wanted to do. Who wouldnt want to save their own race right? But sux how he killed ironhide like that.
2. No special mention of Ironhide's death by Prime.
3. Q should be called wheeljack and Dino called Mirage.
4. How does the greatest Autobot get stuck in a net???
5. Not enough identifiable Decepticons despite hundreds of them coming to Earth.
6. Why did Sam just WTF pawn Starscream so easily???
7. Autobots seem like really good fighters. It seems for every autobot that dies 10-20 decepticons die too. It kind of makes it hard to comprehend how the autobots lost the war in cybertron going by these autobot/decepticon death ratios.
8. Can anyone remember if soundwave actually died? I thought it was barricade who was executing Cue and held the autobots captives and then got owned by bumblebee.

Anyway, I feel there is room for another movie or a mini series as there are still hundreds of decepticons scattered around earth (as sentinel stated) plus the survivors of the chicago battle. Maybe they can focus more on Epps and Lennox and the Autobots more rather than Sam and Carly.

Autobot Commander

Postby mr_sooty » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:51 pm

jalbert009 wrote:Anyway, I feel there is room for another movie.

I honestly really hope not. I really hope they put this debacle to bed. Let's just get on with the 10 - 15 year wait or whatever there needs to be before someone else can come along and re-re-invent it all and actually do it all properly.

Targetmaster

Postby Modern Angel » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:14 pm

It might be sooner than you think, the films made alot of cash, Hasbro will want to do more.
It only took Marvel a 3-4 years before remaking the Hulk, I can see Hasbro doing someting similar if the money comes in with DoTM.
Transformers in Collection:Lots
--
"Wow, one day a man has everything...,then the following day he blows up a $400 billion space station,
and the next day he has nothing. It really makes you think."
Trademe Auctions - Modern Angel

Autobot Commander

Postby mr_sooty » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:52 pm

Modern Angel wrote:It might be sooner than you think, the films made alot of cash, Hasbro will want to do more.
It only took Marvel a 3-4 years before remaking the Hulk, I can see Hasbro doing someting similar if the money comes in with DoTM.

Well I would be perfectly happy for that to happen if it was a different director and a different aesthetic. I don't think I can handle any more Michael Bay.

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Zippo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:37 pm

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... f-the-Moon

Have a watch of this review. I am sure I pointed out his review of the first two ..

Evil Decepticon

Postby GuanYu79 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:21 am

I would have to agree with Mr Sooty here. As much as I enjoyed the third installment, it was with lower expectations than I had going into the first. I guess the whole design concept of them sucked (not having faces and models just to different from the original) and when you think about it, the human characters were just silly.
I'm hoping that a whole reboot of the franchise occurs cause I can't think of any way to carry on with this universe

Autobot Commander

Postby mr_sooty » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:01 pm

Zippo wrote:http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/3634-Transformers-Dark-of-the-Moon

Have a watch of this review. I am sure I pointed out his review of the first two ..

I just watched that, and I have to say I agree with him largely, although I don't feel quite as strongly about it as he does. I agree that 'not as bad' shouldn't be confused with 'good', and I am also tired of the whole thing and I really want Michael Bay to never mess with Transformers again. The biggest problem the whole way through is that Michael Bay just doesn't really give a crap about Transformers at all, and just likes bombs and skirts.

I also agree that it's not really good enough to say 'hey, it's an action flick, it's not supposed to be a grammy script'. Well we're not asking for a grammy script, we're just asking for a movie script. Preferably one that is moderately interesting.

But, as I said, my expectations were lowered, and they were exceeded. Some of the animation was quite mind blowing, the shots of bumblebee transforming and Shia flying out and bee catching him and all that had me fairly gobsmacked. And I even laughed out loud a couple of times. And I'm really glad I forked out for 3D. And I had a great night out with my son, so I will remember it reasonably positively.

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoon and Movie Discussion