Rewatch Beast Machines: Season 2 Episode 24 ~ 26 (Final)

Discuss the ever-changing and ever-popular Transformers cartoons - From Armada to Beast Wars to Zone, the 1986 movie to the upcoming 2007 Dreamworks movie. All talk of those Big 'Bots and 'Cons on the screen goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Decepticon Warlord

Rewatch Beast Machines: Season 2 Episode 24 ~ 26 (Final)

Postby NKF » Tue May 03, 2011 12:32 am

Here we are, the 3-part finale for Beast Wars: Endgame

The Downward Spiral: This episode has Megatron mount an attack on his head space with the Maximals attempting to defend it and the sparks stored in it.

When Legends Fall: With Megatron's base shot down, the Maximals make their last stand defend it. This episode ends with a Megatron getting probably his strongest and last body.

Seeds of the Future: The finale has Optimus Primal and Megatron duke it out over a battle of fists and wit for ... well, pretty much the whole episode, and ends in such a way that leaves fans with split feelings about the series.

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Decepticon Warlord

Re: Rewatch Beast Machines: Season 2 Episode 24 ~ 26 (Final)

Postby NKF » Mon May 09, 2011 2:45 pm

Since I'm cashing in some of my annual leave to take the day off, thought I'd get my notes for this up early.

Part 1

- Megatron's shift to using the Obsidian and Stryka drones as the bulk of his army seems a decision in balancing firepower, mobility and defense. The first set of commander/drones excelled in their areas of expertise, mobility or firepower but lacked in either defense or mobility.

- The first hint of Megatron's new and final body are shown in the segments of wireframe images he pulls up. The most obvious being the yellow wireframe.

- Optimus is right that putting sparks into bodies would mean that Megatron would just recapture them, but the same is true of the few warriors he has. On the other hand, releasing the sparks would've been a good distraction for Megatron.

- Obsidian and his drones used to turn his hands into a single tube, but now they take the more sensible approach for using the individual finger tubes. Later they even spin them around like a chaingun.

- Rattrap's new device didn't last very long before it was discovered.

- With Megatron behind the reins, the Diagnostic Drone body proves to be much more powerful than one would expect.

- The Maximals are quick to assume Megatron's apparent demise, despite having - multiple experiences of him being appearing to be killed off only to come back again.

- Metal Roads = Soil. I guess you could say it is true in a processed sense.

- Megatron discovering Rattrap's frequency modulator thingy seemed too convenient. However the Diagnostic Drone body, hence the 'diagnostic' in its name, does have much more powerful sensors in it.

Part 2:

- The generic Diagnostic Drones don't have much of a personality after the little affair with Rhinox and the original Diagnostic Drone he reprogrammed.

- The maximals power up - by exposing their sparks.

- Botanica's strong. Mind you, Rattrap and Nightscream aren't the biggest of the Maximals.

- As an added twist, the drill drones now have a napalm launcher. Well, one has.

- The special effects granted by the Maximals' recent power up involve super speed, strength and nullifying sound effects.

- Another hint of Megatron's new body is quite an obvious one when we see the cockpit that's on his chest. Also he gets his old face back.

- The Maximals' power up is short lived, and they fumble and stumble when it wears off.

- Obsidian and Stryka are literally blown out of the story.

- Despite the writer's original intent to make the show more serious and attempted to eliminate Megatron's speech tic (which fans are split between liking or disliking), Megatron's actually has ended his sentences with "Yes"' a lot in this season.

- "Big Bot?" - literally. The Optimal Optimus body was big even in Beast Wars. Now, here's a question: Why hasn't Hasbro ever remarketed the Optimal Optimus body with a Megatron face? Or a new head with interchangeable Primal and Megatron face?

- The Maximals under Primal's command get unique spark colours to show who they are.

Part 3:

- Of course, they're blue when the diagnostic drones shove them into the spark tank.

- I never noticed this little detail before, but even Thrust's spark was extracted. When we see Silverbolt and Black Arachnia's bodies, the cycle bot near it has the yellow stripes marking it as the commander.

- Being the final chapter, Optimus has become rather good with his chest blades. He's hitting stuff with then now more often than he did in season 1.

- Megatron puts the Optimal Optimus body through its paces and gets more out of it than Optimus did in Beast Wars. Probably because Optimus is who he is. Also not having a beast mode isn't much of a problem, as Optimus hardly used it himself.

- "Farewell to arms" - is a bad pun.

- Megatron's added some extra features to the body. Instant reattachment of his arm and the jet mode also doubles as a submarine. Brilliant.

- A bit of continuity error between when Optimus get sucked down the drain pipe and he ends up on the suspended bridge above the orchard. How did he get there? Surely the drain doesn't spill out onto the bridge?

- Maybe it's because I'm older than the target audience this show was made for, but I got a rather bad mental image when Megatron was talking about the seeds of the future.

- Megatron, when he starts absorbing the sparks, opens his chest (ala G1 Prime and where he keeps the matrix). Fine, enough. But wasn't Megatron's spark riding in the passenger seat? Would've been easier to open the canopy and just let them all in.

- Cheetor's spark changes colour (to show it's him) before it pops into Primal and the maximals chat with him. I don't think Primal absorbs the sparks as they get sucked out towards the end.

- Megatron's ascension just doubles his size. Well, technically he's not quite merged with Cybertron yet.

- Optimus uses the same trick Megatron used to cause the Maximals to fail - the dual ownership of the Oracle.

- As mentioned before, Optimus has become good with his chest blades. Not only does he blow one of Megatron's fingers off, he manages to cut the last vine that's tethering Megatron.

- Megatron's caught in the moment and completely forgets his body can fly.

- Poof - Cybertron's another everyday planet. Well, a techno-organic planet.

- I think we're not meant to think about the logistics involved in getting all the sparks returning to their bodies, considering there's probably a big a shortage of them what with lots of them being blown up and destroyed during the war. Of course, if we use the generic Vehicon drones as being capable of storing sparks, then I guess that sorts it out.

- The robot silhouettes at the end are - disappointing. Do note right at the end they're standing still waving their hands from side to side. Just missing the lighters or neon sticks.

- One last thought: What happened to Obsidian and Stryka?

And that is that for Rewatch: Beast Machines. Adieu.

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Heroic Autobot

Postby IamLegendaryAntiHero » Fri May 20, 2011 10:53 am

What I don't get is why Megatron didn't try to fly out when he was falling into a put of technoorganic matter. I can understand why Primal couldn't fly out because Megatron was holding him. It's possible Megatron was willing to fall into the pit if he could take Optimus with him or maybe it was the weight of abosrbing everyone's spark.

Decepticon Warlord

Postby NKF » Fri May 20, 2011 10:37 pm

It does seem to be a convention, usually for the purpose of the plot, that anyone with the ability of flight will temporarily lose it if they are pushed or fall into a chasm. ;)

I suppose one possible explanation: physics. Megatron doubled his size when he merged with the sparks, so he was probably just too heavy for his thrusters to support him. That is, the body is designed for flight at its normal size, but is imbalanced when doubled. The main problem with this theory is that Megatron didn't even attempt to fly when he fell.

It would've been nice if they stretched out the falling scene a couple of seconds and made it more dramatic with Megatron struggling to fly but getting dragged down by Optimus.

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Heroic Autobot

Postby IamLegendaryAntiHero » Tue May 31, 2011 5:06 pm

And yet the biggest surprise in episode 2 was when Optimus survived the fall in Megatron's lair by flying up. The writers seemed to remember that BM Optimus could fly but not Optimal Optimus, even though he had a jet mode.

Return to Transformers Cartoon and Movie Discussion