Rewatch series afterparty

Discuss the ever-changing and ever-popular Transformers cartoons - From Armada to Beast Wars to Zone, the 1986 movie to the upcoming 2007 Dreamworks movie. All talk of those Big 'Bots and 'Cons on the screen goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Decepticon Warlord

Rewatch series afterparty

Postby NKF » Mon May 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Or, well, just a generic discussion thread for it. I probably should have done this at the end of Rewatch G1, but didn't think of it at the time.

So, it's over. We've covered G1, Beast Wars and Beast Machines. Thanks for following.

For those who followed right through to the end or those who are in the middle of it, what are your thoughts?

No, not about my notes, but about the shows. Learned anything new? Any better appreciation of the stories? If you've had a bad opinion of the show before, has it changed in any way? Have a think about it.

I probably won't commit my time to doing one for Headmasters, at least at the moment. If I did then it would have to cover both the original audio with subtitles and the ever important StarTV dub.

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Faction Leader

Re: Rewatch series afterparty

Postby Stik » Mon May 09, 2011 7:26 pm

I always enjoyed the second season of BM over the first - the idea that Primal becomes a fanatic doesnt really sit that well with me, but it drives the plot forward. I do enjoy the graphical upgrade from Beast Wars, tho. And it's always good to revisit a series every now and again.
Is the cat in the hat, or is the hat simply on the cat?

Headmaster City

Postby groverboy » Wed May 11, 2011 4:15 pm

NKF,

I raise my glass to you sir. You have excelled here, and I have enjoyed playing along where I had time.

Autobot Commander

Postby buyaball » Wed May 11, 2011 4:35 pm

i started watching/reading the rewatch threads when i first bacame a known member

its always good to go back and revise and theres always something missed from the first time

the threads also got me into beastwars (as i kid i wasn't interested at all because it was soooo different to G1) looking at it now i can see how it is all linked

i always think if someone is going to put in the effort to do something like the rewatch threads i should watch/read to make there efforts worth while (even if they don't know)

i would read the thread and then watch episodes i don't have on dvd via utube and pick all the mistakes pointed out on the thread

its been fun

thanks for the good work sir

are we going to continue onwards or are you going to have a brake?

don't click this link...

If you watch Titanic backwards, It is a heart warming tale of a ship which jumps out of the water & saves lots of drowning people.

Decepticon Warlord

Postby NKF » Wed May 11, 2011 6:59 pm

I'll take a break from it for the time being. I'll give some thought to if I'll continue with the Japanese G1 series. Tempted since the Headmasters english dub is so bad it's comedy gold.

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Supreme Commander

Postby skydemolisher » Wed May 11, 2011 10:10 pm

I've enjoyed it, though I was always a bit peeved with myself for not catching up G1 when I could and following along, then going to Beast Machines since I lack Beast Wars.
I've been watching Victory slowly since its the only other complete series I have. Have half of RID.

I hope one day we can all participate again. Maybe have a few get togethers and whatnot.
(D) For the Glory of the Decepticon Empire!!!!!!! (D)

Micromaster

Postby rabstanz » Fri May 13, 2011 1:39 am

It was quite fascinating watching the box set of the g1 episodes for the rewatch, there's so many episodes (especially season 3) that have extra scenes or shots that I have no memory of when I used to watch the show growing up. The Ultimate Weapon and Money is Everything are definate stand outs. Anyone else have the Madman boxset and noticed this too?
greetings and salutations

Autobot Commander

Postby buyaball » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:45 am

sorry not exactly sure where to post this

but since i have been scanning re watches for the last hour here goes

i was organizing my HDD tonight and i happenedd across a 23min jap version of G1 i was unawear i had :?

its from 1986 and its called scramble city
it was a really strange mock up of early and old stuff

forst 6 or so mins was a replay of the original more than meets the eye episode
from there on the time scale was turned off, :lol:

Most of the characters are from the first and second seasons, except Ultra Magnus, Ratbat, Steeljaw, Ramhorn, Metroplex,Trypticon,stunticons and areialbots are all there as well as others that do not come straght to mind WTF?!?

the 23mins covered a whole heap of stuff (including the making/inventing/creation of metroplex and trypticon) but it didn't all fit in with what i remember from the 80s version i watched

also i do not have the full episode it got to a point where metroplex and trypticon where to battle to the death and that was the end :roll: FML

does anyone know any imformation of this and maybe a copy of the rest of the episode? or is or was there a english version?

any help appreciated

don't click this link...

If you watch Titanic backwards, It is a heart warming tale of a ship which jumps out of the water & saves lots of drowning people.

Headmaster City

Postby groverboy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:47 am

As far as I know, that's just sort of where it finishes.

Scramble City/Scramble Power is how the combiner concept worked in Japan. Rather than having nominal positions, scramble power means that limbs can connect in anyway.

The thing I really liked in Scramble City was when one limbs tried to combine with the wrong leader and it caused damaging feedback.

So don't worry, it's not just you who has missed out on an epic battle in the ocean, the whole world has.

Autobot Commander

Postby buyaball » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:14 am

i did not pick up on this they refured to metroplex as 'scramble city'
i will have to watch it again to be sure

is battle on the ocean a term? because the battle was not located near water.

don't click this link...

Headmaster City

Postby groverboy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:08 pm

I thought ended with them headed towards the ocean. My memory must be confusing it with something else.

Decepticon Warlord

Postby NKF » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:28 pm

An ominous hint of what's to come? Trypticon was going to emerge from the ocean.

You can also find the Scramble City episodes included as an extras on the recent anniversary re-release of TF The Movie.

I'd say it was a sort of a failed experiment where they tried to branch off G1 and do their own thing. This was around the time the Scramble City combiners were all the rage. Seems like they ended up abandoning that idea and went ahead and did the same thing with the Headmasters.

Sad though, as they never really experimented with limb interchangeability in the US G1 line even though it was (and I guess is still) one of the main selling points of the Scramble City combiners.

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Supreme Commander

Postby skydemolisher » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:07 pm

Scramble City was meant to help tie in Season 2 to 3 as Japan didn't get the film until after season 3 had started. IN another way it explains the missing Transformers like the Stunticons, Protectabots, etc.
(D) For the Glory of the Decepticon Empire!!!!!!! (D)

Mini-Con

Postby alicec12 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:16 pm

buyaball wrote:i started watching/reading the rewatch threads when i first bacame a known member

its always good to go back and revise and theres always something missed from the first time

the threads also got me into beastwars (as i kid i wasn't interested at all because it was soooo different to G1) Mutuelles senior looking at it now i can see how it is all linked

i always think if someone is going to put in the effort to do something like the rewatch threads i should watch/read to make there efforts worth while (even if they don't know)

i would read the thread and then watch episodes i don't have on dvd via utube and pick all the mistakes pointed out on the thread

its been fun

thanks for the good work sir

are we going to continue onwards or are you going to have a brake?

We can also make a collective effort to give more importance to the game, as everyone else puts it.

Return to Transformers Cartoon and Movie Discussion