Third Party Transformers Products

General talk about Transformers figures from any era.

Moderator: Moderators

Gestalt

Re: Third Party Transformers Products

Postby IronhideTFX » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:29 pm

So bit of a side track, i've never touched a 3rd party TF. Primarily collect G1 MP, but there are some tempting 3rd party offers (Trailbreaker, Megatron, Brawn, Windcharger).

Whats the general verdict? Overall feel/quality. Does it very from company to company?
Would love to get all Season 1/2 bots and cons. But i don't know if we will ever get everyone officially.

Anyone else in this boat?

Headmaster City

Postby loismustdye » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:41 pm

The bulk of the mp styled ones are pretty good, depends on what aesthetic you prefer though.
The quality on what ive bought tends to equal or in some cases slightly exceed the official products.
Some of the transformations I personally feel can be over complicated (wardog, love him but the transformation is so frustrating), but these tends to be offset by the detail they have.
The quality variesfrom one company to the next, and even within the same company, however Im of the opinion that I dont want to wait 20 years for a fair representation of all the bots, so I'm happy to get the third party offerings to fill that need.
Watch a few reviews online to get a feel for what specific ones you are interested in, but be wary that once you dip your toes , you'll keep wanting to get more of them.
no sig as photobucket nerfed it all
# of TF's: I don't have the patience to count them all
# of GIJoe: I've lost count

Pretender

Postby Vestra » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:30 pm

Your best bet when it comes to third party is looking up reviews on youtube. Many reviewers show a solid interest in explaining the quality and complexity of the figures and how likely it will be to break.
At the end of the day official figures will most probably have the more comfortable transformations.

Wardog is hands down a figure I will never transform again. Beautiful but needlessly complicated.

Overall I'm pretty happy with most of the Third Party figures I have. My plan is to have an extensive MP collection of all releases between official and 3rd party.
That unfortunately means I'll be forking out a shitton for Chronos down the line.

Badcude are a solid company. They were known as Cubex but production qualities with their MP scale Huffer forced them to shut down and rename themselves.
They took responsibility and found a new company to manufacture their figures. They're now a fantastic company. Their Facebook page has great communication with their customer base.

Brawny, Sunsurge and Backland are all amazing figures. Their Insecticons are pretty great also but I think Fanstoys win on accuracy. Huff, the MP Huffer from their Cubex days, is also a great figure and they'll be reissuing him with significant improvements later on.
Wardog is a nightmare to transform but looks spectacular in alt mode. I'd only suggest him for the aesthetic, the transformation is a nightmare.

Occular Max are a sub-branch of Mastermind Creations.
Their MP scale Mirage is hands down the best third party figure I own. Spectacular feel, simple enough transformation and looks amazing in both modes. Rubber wheels and some die cast parts. 10/10
They've also done an MP scale Inferno of which I've yet to get my hands on but it was well received. They're doing Trailbreaker and Hoist as well. Likely to be amazing.

Fanstoys also do some great stuff. I've only got their MP scale Perceptor; Tesla. Their Dinobots are renowned for their accuracy and quality. Also highly recommended.

Xtransbots have pumped out some fantastic releases including Arkose; an MP scaled Beachcomber and Andras; an MP scaled Scourge. The Andras I own has a production issue with the glue but I'm unsure if that is a common issue at all. He looks beautiful in both modes regardless but the feet are a nightmare. Arkose as received pretty solid reviews and looks great.

KFC have Transistor (Blaster), a crapload of MP cassettes and a huge number of upgrades like articulated hands and so on.
Transistor is a great figure but feels a little more fragile than Soundwave so an official release may be better if you'd rather wait. Of the two cassettes I have both feel delicate to transform.
The official MP cassettes are pretty delicate in general but these feel breakable in places. I've yet to pickup any articulated hands but will likely get them at some stage.

Maketoys have a few of the Headmasters available along with their Gundog (Hound) and Hellfire (Inferno). They appear more toy accurate to me.
I've got Gundog myself but I'll be picking up Fanstoys Willis to replace him on my shelf for sake of accuracy. They're a good company but I'm not big on toy accurate figures.

I'm also following DX9 and their list of MP scale releases. The only one I possess so far is Tyrant, their Galvatron. He's a pretty great figure with die cast parts and solid plastic quality.

tl;dr Official is likely to be better but if you're interested, check reviews on TFSource or Youtube primarily.
The companies I recommend are: Badcube, Fanstoys, Xtransbots and Occular Max. Their accuracy will surpass competing companies and their quality is pretty fantastic.
Maketoys are good for Headmasters, KFC for Blaster and a shitload of fragile cassettes. Also add ons.
Reprolabels look great for details and toy accuracy but I've yet to purchase any and therefore cannot comment on quality.

There might be some companies I've missed.
Looking for various MP figures, swing me a pm if you have any for sale gentlemen.

Gestalt

Postby IronhideTFX » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:11 pm

Vestra wrote:Your best bet when it comes to third party is looking up reviews on youtube. Many reviewers show a solid interest in explaining the quality and complexity of the figures and how likely it will be to break.
At the end of the day official figures will most probably have the more comfortable transformations.

Wardog is hands down a figure I will never transform again. Beautiful but needlessly complicated.

Overall I'm pretty happy with most of the Third Party figures I have. My plan is to have an extensive MP collection of all releases between official and 3rd party.
That unfortunately means I'll be forking out a shitton for Chronos down the line.

Badcude are a solid company. They were known as Cubex but production qualities with their MP scale Huffer forced them to shut down and rename themselves.
They took responsibility and found a new company to manufacture their figures. They're now a fantastic company. Their Facebook page has great communication with their customer base.

Brawny, Sunsurge and Backland are all amazing figures. Their Insecticons are pretty great also but I think Fanstoys win on accuracy. Huff, the MP Huffer from their Cubex days, is also a great figure and they'll be reissuing him with significant improvements later on.
Wardog is a nightmare to transform but looks spectacular in alt mode. I'd only suggest him for the aesthetic, the transformation is a nightmare.

Occular Max are a sub-branch of Mastermind Creations.
Their MP scale Mirage is hands down the best third party figure I own. Spectacular feel, simple enough transformation and looks amazing in both modes. Rubber wheels and some die cast parts. 10/10
They've also done an MP scale Inferno of which I've yet to get my hands on but it was well received. They're doing Trailbreaker and Hoist as well. Likely to be amazing.

Fanstoys also do some great stuff. I've only got their MP scale Perceptor; Tesla. Their Dinobots are renowned for their accuracy and quality. Also highly recommended.

Xtransbots have pumped out some fantastic releases including Arkose; an MP scaled Beachcomber and Andras; an MP scaled Scourge. The Andras I own has a production issue with the glue but I'm unsure if that is a common issue at all. He looks beautiful in both modes regardless but the feet are a nightmare. Arkose as received pretty solid reviews and looks great.

KFC have Transistor (Blaster), a crapload of MP cassettes and a huge number of upgrades like articulated hands and so on.
Transistor is a great figure but feels a little more fragile than Soundwave so an official release may be better if you'd rather wait. Of the two cassettes I have both feel delicate to transform.
The official MP cassettes are pretty delicate in general but these feel breakable in places. I've yet to pickup any articulated hands but will likely get them at some stage.

Maketoys have a few of the Headmasters available along with their Gundog (Hound) and Hellfire (Inferno). They appear more toy accurate to me.
I've got Gundog myself but I'll be picking up Fanstoys Willis to replace him on my shelf for sake of accuracy. They're a good company but I'm not big on toy accurate figures.

I'm also following DX9 and their list of MP scale releases. The only one I possess so far is Tyrant, their Galvatron. He's a pretty great figure with die cast parts and solid plastic quality.

tl;dr Official is likely to be better but if you're interested, check reviews on TFSource or Youtube primarily.
The companies I recommend are: Badcube, Fanstoys, Xtransbots and Occular Max. Their accuracy will surpass competing companies and their quality is pretty fantastic.
Maketoys are good for Headmasters, KFC for Blaster and a shitload of fragile cassettes. Also add ons.
Reprolabels look great for details and toy accuracy but I've yet to purchase any and therefore cannot comment on quality.

There might be some companies I've missed.

This was exactly what i was after.

Time to hit up some youtube reviews!!

Pretender

Postby Vestra » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:37 pm

Happy to help!
Looking for various MP figures, swing me a pm if you have any for sale gentlemen.

Heroic Autobot

Postby Thatotherguy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:46 am

Always thought RID Scourge was a great looking toy, so this MP scale version is incredibly tempting

Gestalt

Postby [omega] » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:44 pm

KFC Victory Leo
This baby looks gorgeous :D

Pretender

Postby MAULER666 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:17 pm

MAS01 big arsed OP test shot review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiKPxiJMWqs
and finally Gigapower grassor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07iWQIt9GZE looking forward to both these bots!
My list of gimmees:
G1 Vortex
G2 Snarl
G1 Fireflight

Decepticon Warlord

Postby NKF » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:27 pm

Just checking my e-mails and I note BBTS advertising some new items in DX9's War in the Pocket line of Legends sized figures. I'm always excited to see more of these.

Two box sets of seeker trios, the first featuring the usual suspects, and the other the coneheads. Also, like every other 3p manufacturer out there, yet another take on the Dinobots, starting with a Slag lookalike. At least the smaller scale is a great point of difference! ;)

For larger MP sized figures, their Sixshot homage, Hanzo looks rather nifty.

- NKF
Crura Fish!

TFNZ Princess

Postby Mr_Ash » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:03 pm

For those interested in Original IP third party robots, Mayhem Meckanics have launched their Kickstarter for 'Unrustable Bastards'.

The main designer on the project is the same guy who did Mastermind Creations Feral Rex, Hexatron, and recently released Carnifex.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/882339483/mayhem-mekanics-presents-the-unrustable-batards?ref=nav_search

"..you get more classy every time."
"..you are a gentleman and a scholar."

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:49 pm

Thank goodness for 3P goodness. Almost completed my S1 Autobots.

Will replace iGear Gears with BC's.
BC Trailbrealer en-route.
Will get MT Jazz.
Will get FT Stomp and Grinder soon.
Not sure which CJ I will get.

Headmaster City

Postby Spike » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:07 am

Are you getting stomp as well?

And will you replace Kronos with Phoenix?
Spike's want list
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12376

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:19 pm

I've had Stomp on order via Mohock for a few months. He says it'll be here by Xmas but not sure. Might cancel and go overseas.

I actually prefer the botmode of Kronos more. Alt mode is average but I never keep it in that mode. So no, at this stage at least!

Gestalt

Postby [omega] » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:24 am

MB-06 ain't it gorgeous :D

Gestalt

Postby [omega] » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:48 am

ToyWorld TW-M07 Spaceracer

PreviousNext

Return to General TF Toy Discussion