Third Party Transformers Products

General talk about Transformers figures from any era.

Moderator: Moderators

Autobot Commander

Third Party Transformers Products

Postby Mr.Deflok » Fri May 10, 2013 4:46 pm

I'm sure you've all noticed but we're getting some amazing items from 3P outfits these days. Though there are a lot of QC issues (looking at you TFC) the majority of it is sweet. Reason I'm making this thread is so we can talk 3P; do you like it? Hate it? Bought it?

Me, I got iGear Huffer and Spray but sold them not too long after as they were too small for my tastes. Outside of that I have a 3P Voyager Prime trailer (not the BTS one) which is fantastic.

Seeing stuff lately I'm really keen on getting iGear's Cogz which is a Gears rip off as he'll scale well with the official MP's. Also possibly their Traitor, which is a KO of the MP3 mold as I don't know if I can afford/justify paying the price for an official one or an MP11.

I saw this yesterday and was rather blown away:
http://tfsource.com/maketoys/dagger-int ... -commando/

I absolutely love Ultra Magnus and this is a dead ringer for one. With a little paint this could be the ultimate classics UM, easily better than the FansProject City Commander one. Only heard about it last night. I wasn't interested in Battle Tanker as the power-up mode looked goofy and I never had any affection for G2 Prime.

Hopefully they'll restock and then I can relieve Zippo of a Laser Prime and get that.

The moral question about 3P stuff is arguable but I'd be happy buying this stuff until official figures come out to replace 'em.

Evil Decepticon

Re: Third Party Transformers Products

Postby Fairtex » Fri May 10, 2013 6:06 pm

The only TF's I collect these days are (in order of) 3rd Party, Binaltech (until it's complete) and Masterpiece (when more new ones become available).

So unless an official Takara MP is released, my usual online shopping is with a 3P company and bargain hunting for Binaltech's.

I rarely buy official TF's anymore unless it is a must have. And if I do buy an official TF, it's usually by Takara. I try to stay away from Hasbro if possible. Very rarely will Hasbro have a better product than Takara.

Personally, I think 3P TF's are superior to the official ones (not including Takara MP's).

I buy all of Fansproject stuff. All FP stuff is an instant buy for me no questions asked.

Other 3P companies that I buy from frequently and have multiple pre-orders with are:

TFC, Make Toys, Mastermind Creations, igear, Perfect Effect, Fans Want It, Dr Wu, Crazy Devy, UFO, Maiden Japan, Beelzeboss, Cubex, Toyworld, Impossible Toys and Reprolabels.

So basically - I like 3P stuff more than officials (not including Takara MP's and BT's).

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Fri May 10, 2013 6:50 pm

I really wish I got the not-Insecticons and I don't really collect Decepticon stuff. Their Menasor looks really neat. I'd go for that too if I collected Decepticons.

The group "Fans Want It" kinda summarise in their name what's going on, that is, fans want it, so the 3P's make it.

Evil Decepticon

Postby Fairtex » Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm

Mr.Deflok wrote:I really wish I got the not-Insecticons and I don't really collect Decepticon stuff. Their Menasor looks really neat. I'd go for that too if I collected Decepticons.

The group "Fans Want It" kinda summarise in their name what's going on, that is, fans want it, so the 3P's make it.

The FP Insecticons are awesome. The TFSource FP-DX Armored Battalion are nice also (the colourful Insecticons). Put some Reprolabels on and Maiden Japan's Insecticon guns and they look even better :) I think FP-DX just came back into stock at tfsource.

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Fri May 10, 2013 8:35 pm

The fruity colours are really off-putting ha. Have you got Breakdown and T-bone? If so, what do you think? Getting quite interested in them...

Decepticon Warlord

Postby NKF » Fri May 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Seconded on the FP not-insecticons. They're quite brilliant - and this coming from someone who doesn't care for the Insecticons. However if I do have a criticism, it would mostly be that they they sharpened their weapons to a very fine point. Too much actually as not-Kickback fell and stabbed my hand with several of his kunai. This actually drew blood. Ouch.

As indicated elsewhere, I'm quite looking forward to getting one of the Maketoys Mobine Missile Launcher sets (and by extension Paladin which is another Mobine Missile Launcher with Commander - though I honestly don't know the character its based on). I really took to the PCC concept as it had (and still has) good potential. Sloppy handling and lazy engineering on the limbs hurt the line the most. These 3rd party limbs look like they'll breath a bit of life back into some of the better offerings the PCC line had put out, and hopefully drop Hasbro a hint on how they can do it properly. (Well, no, actually they'll probably not take any notice and go and design another non-accurate Bumblebee with a gun twice his size and expect fans to like it. ;) )

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Evil Decepticon

Postby Fairtex » Fri May 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Mr.Deflok wrote:The fruity colours are really off-putting ha. Have you got Breakdown and T-bone? If so, what do you think? Getting quite interested in them...

When I first saw those fruity insecticons, it wasn't an instant buy. But I'm FP biased so bought it anyway :) I'm glad I did. Looks good on the shelve.

Breakdown and T-Bone are nice also. A bit small but again, it's FP so got them. Looking forward to the Menasor.

TFNZ Princess

Postby Mr_Ash » Fri May 10, 2013 10:21 pm

The place that I've come to with Third Party stuff is Add-on sets are fine by me [iGear Kup heads, Beezleboss Cliffjumper hand/ rifles, FP UM Trailer] as they are their to enhance an actual TF figure. Entire figures I've decided are a no-go [Fansproject Bruticus add-on skates this edge to the absolute maximum, as it's still primarily an add-on set for an existing figure].

As cool as some of these Third Party figures are, at the end of the day, they're not Transformers. I wouldn't pay $60USD for a figure in-between scout and deluxe sized official Transformer, why should I pay that to a Third Party?

It's all gotten a little out of hand in the last few years.

So my stance:
Add-on sets - OK
Entire figures - No
"..you get more classy every time."
"..you are a gentleman and a scholar."

Heroic Autobot

Postby soak314 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:39 pm

I'm on the same boat as Mr. Ash.

Simply can't justify what amounts to more than 80NZD after shipping for something just shy of deluxe sized. I'm also not keen on collecting G1, as that era has very little nostalgic value to me. As we know, about 96% of all 3P offerings pander to the G1 crowd.

Add-on kits and reprolabels are a whole 'nother thing, though. Those are usually pretty good deals.

The new Animated Mech ideas 3P's, while a sorely tempting prospect, pretty much killed my interest when the first thing they put out turned out to be a couple of no-screentime characters inspired by development art of Animated Pipes and Huffer.

Decepticon Warlord

Postby NKF » Fri May 10, 2013 11:20 pm

I think it's because the full bots are not Transformers, just robots that transform that also kind of look like Transformer characters that they are able to get away with it (Though using the character designs and concepts does skim the intellectual property line). Myself, I like to see them as indie robots that have some Transformers compatibility - like Kreo or Megablocks with Lego. ;)

Price-wise - it depends on what value you yourself want to assign to whatever it is you're after. Toy collectors do put lots of money into various trivial things for any number of reasons. A really hardcore original-run-only collector may pay out lots of dosh for an accessory that could be described as a hollow brick might cause me to furrow my eyebrows. But to them, it holds great value. Or spending decent cash on exclusive TFs that would otherwise let you buy three or four of the regular item (raises hand - doh). Same goes for the 3rd party bots. Perhaps for the image of a favourite TF character, or perhaps just for a really nice toy that looks good and functions well.

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Gestalt

Postby kevman12 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:26 pm

I hear what some of you are saying, but for me. I like G1, but the original G1 and its engineering, just doesn't kick it for me.

The new original TF which are coming out are smaller, less robust, thinner <--- Just look at the new FOC, Jazz, Optimus, Ultramagnus etc. I'm disappointed at it. Then how different is it from the 3P toys right?

I get it, yes 3P are not TF toys, but for the nostalgia of G1. I personally would get a 3P G1 than get an original old, old fashioned engineered G1.
If Hasbro, Takara can get the original G1 in a new look with robust engineering BOOM. Example: Just look at the Masterpiece Line, Metroplex, Legends Waspinator, Megatron <--- Should I continue.

Hasbro, Takara are not producing enough to meet demand of new G1 inspired toys. 3P toys are just meeting the overshoot demand that Hasbro and Takara can't meet, demand which fills my boots, enough for me to get 3P.

So I'm go for 3P. But yeah, the price has indeed sky rocket that the Masterpiece Lines are like the norm. So I say Hasbro, Takara is heading to the right step.

Autobot Commander

Postby Mr.Deflok » Sat May 11, 2013 1:15 am

Well I just scored a Battle Tanker with a United Laser Prime for $140. Watching some reviews sold me on it plus it was a good price!

Headmaster City

Postby Spike » Sat May 11, 2013 10:54 am

I'm not against them but they can be hit and miss.

I have fansproject ultra Magnus trailer which is ok. I like it but it has its drawbacks - hampers articulation and the head is ugly but it's pretty impressive in terms of engineering.

Fansproject rodimus prime set is pretty cool too. Again the head is unimpressive but the rest I like.

I did own the superion upgrade set but found it too fiddly and ultimately sold it on. Looked good though.

I don't really get the comments about TFC being terrible quality control, my Hercules is fantastic! I'm not gonna start a giant vs Hercules discussion but when I saw them I wanted the herc and I have never been disappointed. I know the not longhaul was said to have hip problems but mine was fine. Though I still replaced it with the new parts that came with the not bonecrusher. The fact that TFC did that definitely cemented my faith in them. Wish takara would do that (remember the first run of MP Rodimus?)

I also have the first 3 TFC superion bots. Awesome. I can't wait for the rest. Can't endorse them strongly enough.

Which leads to my latest 3rd party acquisition. Fansprojects' car crash and t-bone. Disappointed. Annoyingly fragile transformation for their size. I don't mind the size as such but they have tried to be too clever with the transformation and you REALLY feel like they are going to break. As a result I can't decide whether to sell them or just hope the remainders are better.

Price is an issue. And it does make you more selective. Though I do prefer them and pass up a lot of Hasbro local releases now which saves me money. I'm spending about even at the moment.

I'm starting to really want to get one of the 3rd party predakings. I can't decide which and yes the price is factoring in on the decision.

In short, I collect the characters I want and don't mind who makes them. And I've only started looking more at them due to the lack of releases we get in our stores here. I only bout my first 3rd party when animated finished and bumblebee invaded the shelves.

The third party companies seem to listen to feedback too on their sites and Facebook and make changes. Can't say Hasbro does much of that.
Spike's want list
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12376

Decepticon Warlord

Postby NKF » Sat May 11, 2013 12:00 pm

Your mileage may vary on all of them I guess. I've only tried TFC toys Iron Army limb-bot sets, and they do have QC issues. Nothing major. Just sloppiness in cutting the parts off the plastic runners and not cleaning off some of the runner stubs. This is an easy fix with an X-acto knife.

- NKF
Crura Fish!

Headmaster City

Re: Third Party Transformers Product

Postby loismustdye » Sat May 11, 2013 4:12 pm

3rd party rocks.
I would far rather spend more $$ on a bot that looks, transforms and is the essence of the bots I had as a kid.
Chromedome (code) is an absolute marvel of engineering, apex and Gemini ( topspin and twin twist) are also absolute delights. Master shooter target masters, perfect effect cassette bots and not-reflector are some of my favourite 3rd party toys.
Given a choice I would always take the 3rd party version over the hasbro version of the same bot, except warbot defender,..... That toy is absolute shit.

# of TF's: I don't have the patience to count them all
# of GIJoe: I've lost count

Next

Return to General TF Toy Discussion