Why is TFNZ against "homophobia"?

If you have any questions regarding Transformers New Zealand, or would like to make a suggestion, please let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

Heroic Autobot

Why is TFNZ against "homophobia"?

Postby IamLegendaryAntiHero » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:13 pm

NO Homophobic comments, please REFRAIN from using the term 'gay' for something you dislike eg 'That toy looks gay' - it doesn't...and it's offensive, feel free to use words like 'ugly, stupid, gross' - as these are a lot more appropriate.

Can someone tell me why words like gay can't be used on this forum? Does it have something to do with the administrators living in New Zealand? I've only seen this country on a map so I don't know what goes on over there. In my state, we had a proposition that was numbered 8 which would've legalized gay marriage but it failed to pass. That probably means for every person in the world who thinks homosexuality is okay, there is someone who is heterosexual who might be against gay marriage. Also, there might be kids on this forum who probably shouldn't know about homosexuality if their parents block out those things on their computer.

Headmaster City

Re: Why is TFNZ against "homophobia"?

Postby Old_Timer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:23 pm

Same reason we don't want racism, religious intolerance, sexism, ageism etc. It's discrimination and it's not welcome.
Durka Durka Durka!! Mohammed Jihad!!!!

No.of TF's in collection:32 (just a beginner)
Fave quote: You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without falling over.

TFNZ Princess

Postby Mr_Ash » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:26 pm

Because homophobia is bad. It seems strange that someone would have to point that out to an adult.
"..you get more classy every time."
"..you are a gentleman and a scholar."

Autobot Commander

Postby buyaball » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:51 pm

Old_Timer wrote:Same reason we don't want racism, religious intolerance, sexism, ageism etc. It's discrimination and it's not welcome.

my sentiment exactly

don't click this link...

If you watch Titanic backwards, It is a heart warming tale of a ship which jumps out of the water & saves lots of drowning people.

Headmaster

Postby Devcon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:12 pm

IamLegendaryAntiHero wrote:
NO Homophobic comments, please REFRAIN from using the term 'gay' for something you dislike eg 'That toy looks gay' - it doesn't...and it's offensive, feel free to use words like 'ugly, stupid, gross' - as these are a lot more appropriate.

Can someone tell me why words like gay can't be used on this forum? Does it have something to do with the administrators living in New Zealand?

Hmm, please enlighten us with the reason why you were kicked from that other forum??
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few" - Suzuki

Faction Leader

Postby iceman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:27 pm

straight up is it just me or is this guy a real f**er worse than me on my bad days :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

btw your sig is MASSIVE
Last edited by iceman on Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TFNZ Princess

Postby Mr_Ash » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Yeah he is Ice.

BTW, language ice :P

Faction Leader

Postby iceman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:38 pm

thanks SWEETHEART :D

TFNZ Princess

Postby Mr_Ash » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:40 pm

iceman wrote:thanks SWEETHEART :D

Saves me driving out west to WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP. :D

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Zippo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:58 pm

Ok, he did ask a fair and reasonable question to which Old_Timer answered perfectly.

Yes, it seems that he did accuse all New Zealanders of being gay with his comment
Does it have something to do with the administrators living in New Zealand? I've only seen this country on a map so I don't know what goes on over there

.. but he is American.

Faction Leader

Postby Oldschool78 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Devcon wrote: Hmm, please enlighten us with the reason why you were kicked from that other forum??

Yeah, I wanna here that story

Evil Decepticon

Postby Dzeb » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:31 pm

Oldschool78 wrote:
Devcon wrote: Hmm, please enlighten us with the reason why you were kicked from that other forum??

Yeah, I wanna here that story

Agreed.

Headmaster City

Postby Old_Timer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:41 pm

I don't think he meant to accuse anyone of anything... more likely asking if there are legal concerns pertaining to the subject in NZ. But in saying that, I can also see how everyone may have been offended. A better choice of words would have been good.

But of course... he is American :wink:
Durka Durka Durka!! Mohammed Jihad!!!!

No.of TF's in collection:32 (just a beginner)
Fave quote: You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without falling over.

Pretender

Postby Grandmaster » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:23 pm

I though it was more to do with the inference of gay being derogatory? If you use the term in the context stated by ILAH then it's not cool for all the reasons posted by oldtimer, but I thought it was OK to use the term gay when referring to orientation? When I first read the original post, I too thought, are you THAT ignorant :roll: ? Maybe it is the wording of the post that is the problem rather than any malicious intent. (Benefit of the doubt)
My lego creations on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72062810@N08/

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Starscream NZ » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:06 pm

Well, since I own and operate TFNZ, perhaps I should explain why I implemented that specific rule.

Essentially, i'll be repeating what Old Timer stated, this is a peaceful (usually) online forum. No one here is, or should be discriminated against due to their gender, sexuality, ethnic background etc. This is why this rule is in place, especially due to, as the comment states, the term 'gay' being used derogatively.

Children on this site must be at least 13 years of age or gain guardian consent for signing up. Given the generally open society we have here in NZ, most children know what homosexuality is, and that 'mum, dad and two kids' is no longer the norm of society, and the family dynamic is much broader than it was.

I'm sorry to hear that people in your state believe that the love between two people is something to campaign against and fear. However on this forum we do not tolerate intolerance. So if you want to go use terms such as gay, faggot, nigger etc, go right ahead - cause you'll be banned quick smart. :wink:

And, just for the record. Yes, I am gay. And i'm not the only one on this forum either :wink:

Next

Return to Site Questions and Suggestions