.....is tfnz dying?

If you have any questions regarding Transformers New Zealand, or would like to make a suggestion, please let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

Autobot Commander

Re: .....is tfnz dying?

Postby mr_sooty » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:32 pm

iceman wrote: my topic...is a question to one person.

So maybe, as SSNZ suggested, you should have addressed it to that one person, rather than putting it on a public discussion board, which as you say, have an annoying tendency to attract public discussion.

since my points seem to fall on deaf ears, sweet as, I am counting myself out. fair well.

It's not fair, nobody's playing by my rules. I'm taking my ball and going home. :roll:
Last edited by mr_sooty on Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Starscream NZ » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:33 pm

iceman wrote:since my points seem to fall on deaf ears, sweet as, I am counting myself out. fair well.

Are your points falling on deaf ears, or is it merely the fact that people don't share the same opinion as you do? If you have a problem with me/TFNZ, that's fine, but please do not expect that everyone here feels, or should, feel like you do.

Feel free to visit the forums in a year or twos time to see we are still going, even say hello if you feel up to it. But it seems best that you do indeed move on for now.

TFNZ Administrator

Postby jiptravolta » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:35 pm

I would like to see these bias posts?

TFNZ is a small community yes, because we generally have a small fanbase. Iceman I dont think you seem to grasp the appeal most people have of this forums IS its casual nature. Like others have said, there are other bigger forums out there that cater to the most extreme of collectors, however because their fanbase is much, much larger, its often gets full of multiple posted topics, eliteism etc. TFNZ is going for the different approach, which can cater to those who have busy lives while maintaining some form of order, on a much neater scale.

The reasoning for having 'so many mods' at the moment is to catch all the human-spammers, who largely post links leading to offensive material and phishing sites. Since a large proportion of TFNZ is fans helping each other out through imports and sales, we need to protect the users privacy as im sure many of you have traded bank details, credit card info etc via PM.

The GI.Joe thread again? I dont recall anyone saying they all had to stick to one post - the Pop Culture forum is full of movie content at the moment but lacking much else (my fault for posting so much stuff in there I guess!), I would love to see more action in there in the form of posts, but as long as non-tf related stuff stayed in there. I mean, when Marvel Legends were huge over here years back there were many threads stuated in that forum.

Reporting is a big factor of helping us moderate. We are not just here to delete spam - if you have an isue with a comment or post, report or PM a moderator - if its a mod you have grief with, contact another mod who will in turn pass said complaint on.

Ive been a member of these boards since 2003 now, and if theres one thing that hasnt changed, its how its run - 7+years if hard slog for a small online community is a big achievement in any internet forum, I hardly see how its run as a problem. While there is a core group of members who have stuck around for ages, I still dont see this as any eliteisim, we have just known each other and become accustomed to how each person posts.

There has been talk of revamping boards including the main page, however it has been hard to drum up enough help to make it happen because of everones offline lives. I guess most people like the 'if its not broke dont fix' approach.

This whole thread seems like a immature way of handling any problems - Id expect a topic such as this to be more constructive instead of fingerpointing

Faction Leader

Postby noel0leon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:10 pm

I think that you (ice) perceive that these forums are and should be something else than what they currently are. which isn't wrong, but...

sooty said it best with
I have always enjoyed the friendly, casual nature of this forum compared to all the 'serious' american ones. Come on man, we're grown ups (mostly) who collect 20 year old kids toys. How can anyone take that seriously?
And I think it is unfair to take our NZ's population, our finances (none) and our unique place in the internet and compare that to monsters like seibertron.com *hoicks and spits* and others.

I am a member of quite a few forums (cars, bicycles, Industrial Design etc etc) this site is by far my favourite place on the internet. I have taken a break from collecting since Jan and I still can't stop swinging by here and see whats going on. I love getting the latest movie info from Jip, reading NKF's epic episode reviews, hearing about how many stores Gavitron drives to in a day, seeing who's birthday it is, looking at bots dressed in drag and dogding cheese

to again quote sooty
it is a free not for profit community
and this is no SSNZ asskissing here... its called credit where credits due. The dude has put a shit load of effort into building something for other people for something he gets almost NOTHING for...

Ice, the only time I would take your complaints seriously is if you were contributing as much to the site as SSNZ and then having your suggestions fall on deaf ears.

Don't like what servers we are on? SHARE THE HOSTING FEE'S
Don't like what skins we have? MAKE/BUY/SOURCE SOME
Don't like the lack of annual competitions? DONATE SOME PRIZES YOURSELF, OR CHIP IN FOR SOME

the validity of your words rests with the input of your actions.

Edit: I like the idea of chipping in for competition prizes btw. I'd be keen...
do, or do not. There is no try

Headmaster City

Postby groverboy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:08 pm

To be a little more philosophical. If one has already taken all one wants from his time here, why be concerned whether it continues.

I come here because, by and large, i like these boards. I don't waste my time going to boards that I don't like. If this board changed; and that change was something I didn't like, well I'd probably stop coming.

---------------------------------------------

no point starting other forums as the same people would try joining and in the case of some members, nah to that

I don't know who he's talking about here, but it's an efficient way to offend just about everybody isn't?

Faction Leader

Postby iceman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:20 pm

when ssnz asked for donations i offered to buy the site even and put money towards it. it is in the shutting down thread.

how can i do all that when my offers not accepted.

mind you, wouldve been prepared to only put a maximum offer of $1,500 in to buying it had the decision to sell it have been made.

I also wanted to know what the ties were to hasbro, and when s4turn made his offer i was happy to back him up, as he knows how to run forums VERY effectively, computers are his life, and as being a very close mate i would have had major input in management and have funded prizes if hasbro decided to alienate totally.

regardless, by all means, continue on present course, if a small core group of people is all thats wanted all good, just expect for numbers to drop to nothing in the future.

fair well all, to those who needed me to help them grab their g1 needs off ebay you have my contacts or if you dont ask somebody on here who does, cheers and good luck to yall.

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Starscream NZ » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:40 pm

iceman wrote:when ssnz asked for donations i offered to buy the site even and put money towards it. it is in the shutting down thread.

how can i do all that when my offers not accepted.

mind you, wouldve been prepared to only put a maximum offer of $1,500 in to buying it had the decision to sell it have been made.

I also wanted to know what the ties were to hasbro, and when s4turn made his offer i was happy to back him up, as he knows how to run forums VERY effectively, computers are his life, and as being a very close mate i would have had major input in management and have funded prizes if hasbro decided to alienate totally.

regardless, by all means, continue on present course, if a small core group of people is all thats wanted all good, just expect for numbers to drop to nothing in the future.

fair well all, to those who needed me to help them grab their g1 needs off ebay you have my contacts or if you dont ask somebody on here who does, cheers and good luck to yall.

I asked for donations, because I own/operate the site and if it were to close it down, I would close it down on my terms, not necessarily to sell. Again, you talk about management, funding, buying/selling like this is some sort of small business. I don't understand why you cannot realize that this is a community, not a business. You could've offered me $10,000 for TFNZ and I would still have declined it, because I feel that you do not understand just how important TFNZ is to people.

My relationship with Hasbro is a private and confidential matter. When I can announce things publicly, I do, when I can't, I don't. I do it because I care for my fellow fans and have had the good fortune to be in regular contact with representatives at Hasbro that benefits our community. Could I have simply run off with that Gold Prime and said "I deserve it cause I run the website?" I probably could've. Lord knows i'd had loved that figure, but I let it be won by a fellow community member.

We wish you well on your future, but really, it's time you stop coming here. It's apparent you have no further positive input on this website so I do ask that you respect your prior comments, and leave.

Child of Primus

Postby onslaught86 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Just to run in on a more constructive angle, I'm specifically curious what people think should change about the Buy/Sell/Trade forum, since I had a hand in solidifying those rules. It came about as a result of a number of trial and error incidents when we were starting out, with the likes of PMs being sent at the same time as people posted, and having to sort out who sent what and when.

We intentionally pointed the focus away from getting the highest price for the seller because the bullitin board setting isn't well suited to any auction process, and behind-the-scenes offers open up all sorts of potential issues and biases, as well as being more cumbersome and annoying to understand than necessary. Yes, people don't have time to browse the BST all day, every day, but if the alternative was to have casual members with deep pockets pop in once a month and offer more than regular members could afford, why would we (as a community) want to give priority to people that don't contribute, or spend the time around the boards to get in on sales threads first? Can always subscribe to forums, after all.

I've been stupidly busy and haven't posted much lately, which does vex me, since I like to be active around the place. This is a community that is and has been very dear to me, through all of its iterations. As much as I'd like it to get bigger, it's the small-town friendly feel that makes this place special. The larger boards end up rather 'homogenised', to say the least, and since this isn't a commercial venture, why would we want to cater to a larger audience at the expense of the existing one? I've personally made a great deal of friends and contacts here, as have others, and what meet-ups we've had have been great value. More structure and regularity is definitely something we're looking at there too.

As always, suggestions and opinions are welcome, and everyone should have a say regardless of how often they visit/how many posts they have/et cetera. I'd personally rather people say what they have to say in the open so it gets rounded input.

Headmaster City

Postby green dragoon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:09 pm

Starscream NZ wrote:
Feel free to visit the forums in a year or twos time to see we are still going, even say hello if you feel up to it. But it seems best that you do indeed move on for now.

Hail Dorothy
The Surprising Adventures of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

A Tomahawk of Honesty in the Skull of Lies

TFNZ Administrator

Postby Zippo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:28 pm

*WHY the bloody hell are there so many moderators running this site?
4 Admin, including the site owner, the technician and 2 regular administrators
4 Moderators

I don't think that is overkill, given the number of issues we have had in the past with spam bots and in-appropriate posts. In fact I think the increase in the last few months has really helped the forum

*WHY are moderators biased? I am personally feeling the pinch of a tad-bit of bias. On most well run forums, moderators can not have any lean towards any members.

Are you talking about a specific thread. I haven't seen anything, but then again there are some threads that I am just not interested in.

*WHY are posts deleted with such ease, i feel some people are using the delete post icon with abit of trigger-happiness.

For admin/moderators the edit button is right next to the quote button. I know that I have pressed the edit (rather than the quote) buttons a few times then decided that I didn't need to quote at all and so deleted everything that was to be quoted, typed my reply and then gone WHOOPS. I have appolgised and so far haven't been punished. As others have said, we do have the report button - maybe you could have reported the post that deleted yours and then we would have known. If a moderator is getting out of hand .. then Stars or the rest of the admin team could step in.
Hell, I have been warned before for something so the admin to mod the admins and moderators as well as everyone else.

*SITE security regards spamming is still rubbish, manually deleting posts need not be the resolve.

I beleive that StarsNZ has answered how we are planning on tackling this issue.

*WHY are people allowed to get away with making comments that ruin the threads of others, when the person making the comment does not know what the hell they are talking about whatsoever in the first place or poor lack of subject matter, either or....

Doesn't this counter the comments about the ease of how mods delete posts and how we are biased?
The simple answer is - we are not draconian (spelling?) I don't think that we would be around as long as we have been if the mods deleted every post that was slightly off the subject matter. Debate is good and who cares if it goes of subject a bit. Bring it back around if it annoys and maybe move on.

-------------

*Can there be annual competitions made up on a calender, instead of out of the blue competitions, to allow people wanting to enter the suitable time and preparation, also this will boost competitor numbers... AND,
can the judgement be made always by member vote, not that of an individual. This erases any bias decision making potential that could occur.

Again, StarsNZ has answered.
Based on the NZ Top Model - it was judged by both StarsNZ and JimCamel. So thats two people judging it, not just one.

*Can the boards at least get a transformer theme skin or something related to transformers instead of...blue...

Sounds reasonable. Come up with something and submit it.

*specific "interested in" topics should be banned- most annoying when people put dibs on things not knowing much about what they are dibbing on, then backing out later- effectively meaning somebody who may have wanted it doesn't get it

Gravatron's threads?
Zippo's Pre Order Forum?
Unless I have missed something then I believe that people do know what they are ordering and there are rules in place to prevent backing out.

since my points seem to fall on deaf ears, sweet as, I am counting myself out. fair well.

Oh well, sorry to see you go.
I think that members here have made some very valid points on why TFNZ is the way it is and that is how we like it. I used to be a member of the big forums, but eventually I gave up on being active and rely on a couple of country specific forums to get my 2c worth now and again.

Decepticon Warlord

Postby JimCamel » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Since I'm not really around here in much capacity other than the technical side of things, I can't comment on much, but I can answer the following.

New Skins
We did used to have a couple of TFNZ skins which myself and some others put together. Unfortunately as the underlying software was updated, the skins no longer worked, and no one got around to updating them. If anyone is prepared to put together a new skin, or even the components of, I'm willing to help out getting it set up.

VBulletin Board
VBulletin is not free, phpBB is. I used to frequent a few VB boards, and didn't really see how they were better than phpBB, especially at the price. As far as skinning goes, the phpBB skinning framework appears to be pretty versatile, there's absolutely no need to change the underlying software just to change the look of the site, we just need someone who knows what they're doing and is prepared to put the work into making some skins.

Security
I personally take some responsibility for this. I didn't realise that the problems with spammers had reached the extent that they had. I don't agree with shutting down registration, but I've personally updated all the software, put in place new anti-spam measures, and re-opened user enabled registration today. Hopefully this will be enough to keep the level of spam to a level where it can be handled on a case by case basis. If not, I hope that someone will please let me know.

My own personal involvement
I used to be one of the most active users on the forum, and I haven't been around much lately due to the pressures of my PhD, and waning interest in Transformers. However I'm always around, if anyone notices any problems with the forum or anything, feel free to PM me. I should respond within 24 hours, although it may take a little longer to fix depending how busy I am/how broken things are.
Wanna help? Check out my accessories want list.
The proud owner of all the US G1 Transformers :D

Autobot Commander

Postby mr_sooty » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:52 pm

I think he's gone.

Decepticon Warlord

Postby JimCamel » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:57 pm

I figured, but my post was more general comments about whats going on than specifically addressing him.
Wanna help? Check out my accessories want list.
The proud owner of all the US G1 Transformers :D

TFNZ Administrator

Re: Icemans new collection

Postby Starscream NZ » Wed May 05, 2010 12:18 am

iceman wrote:only if admin and members want to keep seeing it all as it comes in from the 4 corners of the globe...

I thought you made it quite clear you didn't like it here?

Headmaster City

Re: Icemans new collection

Postby green dragoon » Wed May 05, 2010 11:26 am

iceman wrote:
as for not interested in opinions mr sooty, i tagged it in there as i expected the typical dribble and ass licking from some people to ssnzs defense, which ads kibble to my topic which is a question to one person.

Threads are forever not just when you want to stir shit.

bye Frostyboy unless you want to apologise?
The Surprising Adventures of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

A Tomahawk of Honesty in the Skull of Lies

PreviousNext

Return to Site Questions and Suggestions